Why am I not full after eating this?

Options
What I had for lunch today:

http://s252.photobucket.com/user/xxEliza321xx/media/IMG_3032_zps5a6f2317.jpg.html

That's BBQ Chicken & onion next to the broccoli and that's an egg roll on the top by the way.

I am:

-19 years old
-Female
-About 150 to 155 lbs
-5'6 tall
-Someone who's active (usually 400-500 calories of Dance Dance Revolution every night or on at least most & its pretty intense since I play on Difficult/Expert)

Its very rare that I feel full.
I didn't even burp after this & I do NOT feel full....

Why do I NOT feel full after this & most of the time?
This looks like a LOT of food to me & was about 800 calories in my food diary.

Replies

• henriettevanittersum
    Options
    By not full do you mean you are still hungry or hungry again after an hour?
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking plenty of water? I used to mistake the feeling of being thirsty for being hungry. Eating was always more fun than drinking water ; )
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I never feel full after eating Chinese food. I'll be scavenging for something else within an hour. I have no idea why it happens.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I don't know the science, and I'm not an expert, but what I do know is this: Fiber makes you feel full. That may look like a lot of food, but it doesn't have much in the way of fiber, and I'm betting MOST of it is fried, hence the high calorie count. Add more veggies and rice, cut down on the frying and sauces, and you can eat until you're full. :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    because different people have different levels of hunger.

plus are you saying that you still feel hungry after eating that or you dont feel uncomfortably full?
  • xxeliza321xx
    xxeliza321xx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well, by not full, I mean yea, I didn't even burp after eating this, even hours after eating it, and I still don't feel too satisfied after it either....Its been hours and I kinda feel like getting a snack right now....

I'm pretty sure I drink a good amount of water. I mean, I have a tall cup with me that I have to fill consistently throughout the day.

And no, I would say only SOME of it is fried. It's just a lot of food, so I think that's why the calorie count is so high. Either that or I'm not putting the right entries into my diary. And I don't think there's that much sauce. The only things that I recall having a lot of sauce on them are the chicken & broccoli and the other chicken dish.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary so nobody knows what else you ate on the same day.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I don't get full from normal person meals either. I just eat one or two gigantic meals a day to remedy this problem.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Probably since it seems still healthy? Did you exercise before eating it? Water?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Well, by not full, I mean yea, I didn't even burp after eating this, even hours after eating it, and I still don't feel too satisfied after it either....Its been hours and I kinda feel like getting a snack right now....

I'm pretty sure I drink a good amount of water. I mean, I have a tall cup with me that I have to fill consistently throughout the day.

And no, I would say only SOME of it is fried. It's just a lot of food, so I think that's why the calorie count is so high. Either that or I'm not putting the right entries into my diary. And I don't think there's that much sauce. The only things that I recall having a lot of sauce on them are the chicken & broccoli and the other chicken dish.
    Well, it's hours later. I think it's normal to feel like a snack hours after a meal.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Well.....eating to the point where you have to burp is not suppose to be normal....Neither should you feel stuffed after eating...You might need to learn the difference between not being hungry and being" full"... You can eat to satisfaction without being so full that you have to burp or feel uncomfortable....

There are chicken, but the majority of the plate is calorie dense carbs - that will cause your blood sugar to spike and you to crave soon after eating.... Drop the rice and spring rolls/perogie thingies and add more chicken - that should work better....
  • henriettevanittersum
    Options
    Eating until you are full is not necessary. In fact, it may be healthier to eat more often during the day and don't go over 80% sateity - a common practice in Japan. Why would you want to be stuffed after a meal? That will only lead to feeling you "need" more food. Just stick to the calories allowed and if you're not hungry (you don't really say you are), let it be. If you are hungry, split your meals into more a day and see how that works.
  • xxeliza321xx
    xxeliza321xx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    But its after such a BIG meal...Lol...

& thanks guys.
    I'll take that into consideration.

By the way, is exercising for 400-500 calories too little, adequate, or too much for me honestly?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    It is definitely not too little if you are a healthy 19 year old..... Should be fine depending on how much you eat.....
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    How do you normally feel after meals? (full/stuffed/lethargic) It may be hormonal perhaps (I'm much hungier a week before my TOM). I wouldn't take it too seriously to be honest, if you're hungry, eat more :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Something to keep in mind is that you are going to have to retrain your mind and you body. I know I used to eat until I was stuffed and sometimes if I don't feel that way then I feel like I am not full and I just have to take a minute and think about it and decide that I am not hungry just not stuffed either. There are a lot of different parts to retraining yourself and it takes time, just stop and really think about what you are feeling. And the make sure you are not thirsty and confusing it with hunger is great advice too!
  • Helsybels
    Helsybels Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just a thought but here in the UK I understand that Chinese food has MSG, monosodium glutamate added to it. Its a flavour enhancer which makes people feel like eating more. Apparently it also promotes the release of insulin and so you feel hungry again sooner than expected. This could be a factor. Some research links here http://www.msgtruth.org/related.htm
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    That doesn't look like 800 calories to me unless the sauces are high fat sauces. That doesn't really look like that much food at all...i could put that away pretty easy and then go have a sammich...

Also, you don't have to eat until you are "full"...you should be satiated...meaning you are neither full nor particularly hungry. It's pretty normal to want something to eat a few hours after a meal...'cuz it's been a few hours.

Also, you don't have to burn off every calorie with exercise. You burn calories 24/7...most of your burn comes from just keeping you alive and your basic bodily functions working properly. You don't need exercise at all to lose weight...you just have to eat the appropriate calories for your activity level...you don't need to try to create a calorie deficit with your exercise, it's built into your calorie goal already.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    "Its very rare that I feel full"

This is potentially the bigger issues versus your feelings after some random, isolated meal.

When you say this do you mean that "stuffed" feeling? Are you saying you never feel satisfied?

I'm not saying this is your case, but my wife never felt satisfied. She use to say she was literally always hungry, all the time. That's until we did a lot of deep mental diving to realize that she'd developed an emotional eating problem and couldn't tell the difference at all between real hunger, emotionally driven hunger, and cravings.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    there is a big difference between hungry and appetite. I can have the stomach flu and have an appetite. Personally, I require something to reset my taste buds and let my stomach know I am full. Wether it is a bite of chocolate, gum, brushing my teeth, a big (and I mean big) glass of water. I could almost always keep on eating once my plate is empty- unless is was super high in fiber and protein. Now, if you are shaking, lightheaded, cranky, or have a headache, you might legitimately be hungry. Just don't confuse not busting out of your pants and not burping as not being full. You're full, you're just not satisfied.