pcos

Options
Hi everyone out there trying to lose weight. A year ago I weighed 240 pounds and now I weigh 156. How in the world did I get there, with keeping it completely off through a pregnancy. well I was diagnosed with pcos and I couldn't lose weight as much as I tried. My doc prescribed metformin, and together with extreme dieting and exercise I did it! any questions I will be glad to answer you.

Replies

• _jessicamarie_
    _jessicamarie_ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Now that the weight is off do you still need the metformin anymore? I am supposed to be taking it but due to the extreme GI side effects it gives me I find it hard to stick to it. I've been losing weight with diet and exercise alone in the hopes that when I reach my goal my insulin resistance will be gone and I won't need metformin anymore. Did this happen for you? Or am I just having wishful thinking?
  • loseitbig24
    Options
    i was off metformin throughout my pregnancy and all i gained was 10 pounds i lost my weight right away. now i went back on bec i am sick of dieting and i want to be able to be more lenient with myself without this constant gaining and losing. i think you should start on a low dose and build yourself up slowly. Its a great pill and i swear by it. I tried losing so many times and it never worked finally a combo of metformin, exercise and dieting i did it!
  • bbg_daryl
    bbg_daryl Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Oh look, a drug rep. :|
  • reeserox
    reeserox Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm on metformin now and with taking 500mg er twice a day and proper diet and exercise I lost 21lbs.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I never test with high fasting blood sugars, but the fact that I have every other PCOS symptom including cysts on my ovaries, I asked my GYN to put me on it anyway, and she did. It has really helped level off my weight fluctuations and has helped my calorie deficits actually result in weight loss. My GI symptoms are mild and tolerable (500 mg 2x day) and even better if I take it with food. For those with GI problems, I hear there is an extended release formula available that reduces those problems.