Replacing a meal with a shake?

Options
Okay I have reached that point in my weight loss where I am no longer losing. So I feel like I need to do something drastic to get it going again! What is the best this for me to do? Should I replace a meal with like a Slim Fast drink or is there something else I could do to get this weight train moving again?

Replies

• dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    I'm no help with the meal replacements, sorry.
    When I was in the same boat as you I started trying different fitness activites. E.g. going for a 1hr bike ride. Trying Spinning and Step classes at the gym. Anything new that I hadn't done before :-)
    Good luck!!!
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend avoiding Slim Fast!!!! It is full of fillers that simply trick your body into feeling full but provides no real nutrients. In my opinion you need to look at the nutrients in the calories you are taking in and make sure they are as nutrient rich as possible. I drink Shakeology for breakfast everyday and can't recommend it highly enough. I'll send you info about it by message.
    Cheers!:drinker:
    Risa
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Replacing a meal with a shake, would have to have around the same calories, so that's not really going to change much. Do you get all your veggies? Is the quality of your food as good as it can be? I don't know about you but I'd much rather have a 250 calorie salad than a chalky shake lol.

Try changing up your exercising, do intervals, try weight training if you aren't already. Maybe you need to adjust your calorie goal?
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above comment, Slim Fast has A LOT of sugar and little to no protein (which keeps you full). Have a protein shake if you'd like but I think you'll find most people will suggest to mix-up your exercising to confuse your body into losing weight again.
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    Avoid SF!
    To much sugars! Ive been on it.

I wanted that shakeology but couldnt get it in UK.
    Biggest Loser have brought out a range in asda in your in UK. Ive started on that, from looking at contains its alot better than SF by far!
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    Don't replace a meal with a shake OR get sucked into those plans that make you PAY money for something you can purchase at a health food store

You need to eat normal meals. Use protein shakes after workouts

Try changing your meal percentages ie. raise your protein daily percentage, lower your sugar, stuff like that.

Try doing less cardio but more strengthening exercises - muscle burns fat.

Switch things up to keep your body guessing

Good luck

PS - a diet (or healthy eating plan) does not need to be a gimick or cost money
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Don't replace a meal with a shake OR get sucked into those plans that make you PAY money for something you can purchase at a health food store

You need to eat normal meals. Use protein shakes after workouts

Try changing your meal percentages ie. raise your protein daily percentage, lower your sugar, stuff like that.

Try doing less cardio but more strengthening exercises - muscle burns fat.

Switch things up to keep your body guessing

I totally agree with the above - try zig zagging your calories for a few days, mix up your exercise and up, up, up your water. That's what worked for me a couple of weeks ago. Good luck, I know it's really disheartening!

Good luck

PS - a diet (or healthy eating plan) does not need to be a gimick or cost money
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary so I can't tell you what you might need to try changing in your eating and exercise, but I will tell you that shakes of any kind aren't usually needed by the average person. Even the average person doing P90X isn't working out at a level high enough to need supplementation other then real food as long as they are eating healthy foods. If you want to PM me I'll be glad to look at your needs and current program to see where I would tweak it for you.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    bump,

i'm at the same point, my protein is a bit low so i was thinking a protein shake for a meal. And yes the shakeology sounds great and a lot of people on here use it but you have to be able to afford it first. which for my broke butt, isn't happening.
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Say NO to slim fast! I've been down that road. It only made feel full for like 30 minutes then because of all the sugar in it, all I craved for the rest of the day was sugar! Now when I'm in a mad rush, or only have a few minutes at work I use a Vega shake. You can get it in the organic section of a grocery store, or GNC. It's all natural, green, no sweeteners and completely vegan. And I feel full and it doesn't make me want sugar all day. Also it comes in different flavors and you just mix it with water, so there's not hunting for some kind of juice to make it taste good. A couple of fellow MFPer's turned me onto it :smile:
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Not a lot of weight to lose, it's getting harder. I've tried "substituting" a few dinners each week with a whey protein shake (made with the cheap drugstore brand whey, a little milk, ice, and peanut butter). They help me feel full, don't cost a ton of $. I'm avoiding a ton of sugar/carbs around dinner time. It's helped so far. I'm losing weight again.
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake in place of breakfast each day because otherwise I probably wouldnt eat anything. Breakfast is the meal I struggle with and I understand the repercussions of missing it all together, so I figured this route was the lesser of two evils. I like it, I feel full until lunch and I often have more energy in the morning just from having something in my stomach. I'd rather have the skim milk and powder than anything else at this point, i've done the low carb things and survived on egg whites, veggies and water for breakfast, so far this has made me feel better than that!