BMI of 14,5 ! How can i eat more?

Options
Just found out i'm dangerously underweight. My BMI should be at least 18!

I eat around 1500 calories a day, just because i'm easily full. I add a glass of almond milk to my foods, i try to eat high calorie food (peanut butter, avacado, eggs) but i just can't gain weight! I am really freaking out because i don't want to end up in a hospital. I don't try to lose weight, i try to eat more but nothing helps!

I want to eat more but i eat till i'm full! How do i make myself more hungry?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Have you always been this slim?

Unintentional weight loss to give you a BMI of 14.5 is quite concerning. First off you need to go see you doctor to check (a) is there a medical problem causing you to lose weight/not be able to eat more, and (b) to check for medical complications of being so underweight.

In the meantime, you can increase you calories by swapping almond milk for full fat cow's milk, adding cheese/butter to foods, and drinking calories in the form of smoothies made with full fat milk, banana, honey & peanut butter.

:flowerforyou:
  • hopeforrose
    Options
    I've always been slim, I used to weight like 49kg (which also is underweight), but now i'm down to 40!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bigger spoons for your ice cream and peanut butter.

When I need to eat more I do 2 things:
    Chose higher calorie foods-
    Drink more calories (smoothies or soda or whatever need be)
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    My advice? Keep using MFP to track! That will help more than anything. Try to increase by 100-300 calories every week or two and keep your protein/carbs/fat balanced. That will do the trick. Eventually you'll be eating the amount you need, assuming you have everything set up right and are logging exercise. At some point, you'll stop losing and start gaining. A little weight lifting if you're not doing it yet, is a great thing. If you are, keep it up!

The other thing is, aining weight takes a lot more calories (like 200-300 more) than maintaining weight does. And that's 600+ more than losing takes. You want your MFP calorie and macro counts to end up in the red color every day.

And yes, check with the doctor. but chances are good that if you're otherwise healthy, there's nothing weird going on! Big, unwanted weght loss can definitely be caused by having a caloric deficit over time!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    bigger spoons for your ice cream and peanut butter.

When I need to eat more I do 2 things:
    Chose higher calorie foods-
    Drink more calories (smoothies or soda or whatever need be)

Yup. If you're that underweight you need to look at eating like it's your job. Your diary shows you're eating things like 10-15g of peanut butter. That's not even a tablespoon. Double or triple that.

It's the opposite of trying to lose weight. Eat higher calorie items and eat items that are less filling. Don't drink almond milk, drink whole milk instead. Or drink fruit juices, they are loaded with calories.

Add oil or butter to everything you eat/cook. Use calorie-heavy condiments like mayo, syrups, jellies.

Eat more frequently. Eat when you get up and eat at multiple times of the day. Eat before you go to bed.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Drink full fat milk instead of almond milk. In fact, make that chocolate milk.
    More peanut butter sandwiches.
    Chocolate/ice cream/pastries.
    Steak, lots of it.
    Put mayo on your sammiches.
    Eat bigger portions of everything.
    Nuts, munch on stuff like almonds throughout the day.
    Burgers and french fries.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If you are sick and need to take medicine, do you only do so if you feel hungry and like the taste of it? Or do you disregard that and take your medicine anyway because you know that taking medicine is not about satisfying hunger/taste? As Dope mentioned you need to look at it as something you HAVE to do at this point rather than worrying about whether you are hungry.

Also there are several vitamin deficiencies that cause loss of appetite. Have you had a doctor look into anything yet?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    good advice.

you can do it.
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    Are you sure your BMI is that low? Maybe double check because you would be SEVERELY and extremely noticeable underweight all over your body. People with BMI's that low often have gaunt faces, from your picture you seem to look relatively healthy but it is hard to tell without a full body shot. Just going off of what I've seen in ED treatment centers or cancer patients. Not trying to be insulting but that's the only time I've seen a BMI that low. I would double check and make sure you fill in your age, height & weight correct on a BMI calculator such as this one. http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/

Also if you're not working closely with your doctor a nutritionist you should be because this is a very dangerously low weight. As for gaining weight it's pretty simple...eat more calories than you burn off. But that takes figuring out your TDEE and setting up a good meal plan. A nutritionist would be extremely helpful for you.

Best of luck! I tend to get heat for being very direct on the forums, so i apologize if I offended you I am just very upfront/honest but not trying to be condescending,.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Drink full fat milk instead of almond milk. In fact, make that chocolate milk.
    More peanut butter sandwiches.
    Chocolate/ice cream/pastries.
    Steak, lots of it.
    Put mayo on your sammiches.
    Eat bigger portions of everything.
    Nuts, munch on stuff like almonds throughout the day.
    Burgers and french fries.

this.
    calorically-dense foods are your friend.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Until you see a Doctor about your weightloss I wouldnt even bother coming here for advice. This should be your 1st step and number 1 priority, ruling out any serious medical condition.
  • helman63
    helman63 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm told that Guiness is recommended to a lot of cancer patients to help them maintain weight.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    I'm told that Guiness is recommended to a lot of cancer patients to help them maintain weight.

Huh? Guiness is one of the lightest beers out there, it would probably be the worst choice. Especially for an 18 year old girl who can't even drink yet. Yikes.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    Are you sure your BMI is that low? Maybe double check because you would be SEVERELY and extremely noticeable underweight all over your body. People with BMI's that low often have gaunt faces, from your picture you seem to look relatively healthy but it is hard to tell without a full body shot. Just going off of what I've seen in ED treatment centers or cancer patients. Not trying to be insulting but that's the only time I've seen a BMI that low. I would double check and make sure you fill in your age, height & weight correct on a BMI calculator such as this one. http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/

Also if you're not working closely with your doctor a nutritionist you should be because this is a very dangerously low weight. As for gaining weight it's pretty simple...eat more calories than you burn off. But that takes figuring out your TDEE and setting up a good meal plan. A nutritionist would be extremely helpful for you.

Best of luck! I tend to get heat for being very direct on the forums, so i apologize if I offended you I am just very upfront/honest but not trying to be condescending,.

She says she weighs 40kg or about 90lbs. Assuming she's around normal height, that's exactly right. 14.5bmi would be 5'6".
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I agree with this; you should be seeking the advise of a physician / expert.
    Until you see a Doctor about your weightloss I wouldnt even bother coming here for advice. This should be your 1st step and number 1 priority, ruling out any serious medical condition.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Huh? Guiness is one of the lightest beers out there, it would probably be the worst choice. Especially for an 18 year old girl who can't even drink yet. Yikes.

Depends where she's from - 18 is the legal drinking age in a lot of countries, 16 in some :drinker:
  • delaney056
    Options
    You should see your doctor before you begin anything.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    You should see your doctor before you begin anything.

OP, yes, check with your doc just to rule out everything and make sure you're healthy if you haven't been for a physical yet. And you may get advice on getting more calories if she or he is knowledgeable about diet. (Or they may have recommendations for a nutritionist you could see.)

But I don't see the need to get permission from the doctor to up your calories. Waiting longer would just result in more weight loss.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Processed carbs make me hungry. Pizza, pasta, chips. Not healthy sounding, but all those foods they tell us people tying to lose weight not to eat may help, and Yes to the doctor. Good luck.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,369 Member
    Options

Not necessarily true wrt the "gaunt face" aspect. At age 22 I weighed 97 lbs at 5'9" which would be about the same BMI area. And I had quite a plump face. (I was also in excellent health) 28 years later and 20 lbs heavier, NOW I have the gaunt face, but that's a family characteristic apparently unrelated to weight -- we just lose flesh off our faces with age.

Anyway OP, maybe you can increase your calorie intake by drinking some of your calories. You can indulge in all those huge whipped cream topped fancy lattes made with whole milk, I think one runs about 500 cals if not higher... or fruit smoothies with Greek yogurt.