Protien

Options
Hi. How can I increase protein intake without eating a lot of meat? Also how can I lower carb intake? Check my diary out if you want to see what I eat. Thanks.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not available.

Nuts, cheese, yogurt, and beans all add much more protein than carbs.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Foods to look at for increasing your protein intake:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • 39plus
    39plus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Alairissa,

Nuts have a fairly decent amount of protein; yet a little high in fat if eaten in large amounts.
    Just this evening, I went to a popular 24-hr diner (not advertising) and had the best 10 oz. T-Bone and scrambled eggs ever!!
    I substituted ALL other things such as grits, hash browns and toast for the grilled onions and mushrooms on the steak and a side of grilled tomatoes with the eggs. I wasn't charged extra, and it was still about $11.00 for the entire dinner.
    High protein cereal is another alternative for meat, though high in carbs.
    Most meals really low in carbs are meat and veggies (greens)
    So I guess we're back to square one.
  • Alairissa
    Alairissa Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Sorry, didn't realize my diary wasn't open but I will be opening it right now. :)
  • KerponTryingM
    KerponTryingM Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My trainer is always telling me to eat more protein. I try to eat more but I just don't like it that much. She suggests protein powder, but the all seem to have artificial sweeteners. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of trying to eat healthy?

I'd love to hear other suggestions too.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder.
    Egg whites.
    Non-fat Greek yogurt.
    Skim or low-fat milk.
  • Alairissa
    Options
    My trainer is always telling me to eat more protein. I try to eat more but I just don't like it that much. She suggests protein powder, but the all seem to have artificial sweeteners. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of trying to eat healthy?

I am not a fan of protein powder either. I prefer to get the nutrient I need from the things I eat vs. supplements.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options

I am not a fan of protein powder either. I prefer to get the nutrient I need from the things I eat vs. supplements.
    So don't eat a lot of meat. Eat moderate amounts of meat in the form of chicken breast meat.

Also, whey protein powder is food. It's not the product of some evil chemical factory. It's just the by-product of cheese making that has had the water removed from it.

The egg whites, non-fat Greek yogurt and milk suggestions shouldn't cause you problems.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I do love meat, but on a daily basis, I also rely heavily on cottage cheese or plain Greek yogurt to get me to my protein goals.
  • Alairissa
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. :)
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian so I don't eat meat at all. I get between 130-150g with 1600 cals a day from beans, Greek yogurt, cheese, eggs and nuts. Surprisingly enough lactose free cheese has more protein than regular cheese (11g vs 7g)
    Those small changes helped me get more protein in.

I do however drink a protein shake a day in the afternoon before my workouts. I could easily still get my required amount of protein without it but I enjoy the convenience and taste.

Fish is also a really good source of protein
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

No it doesn't. There is nothing wrong with supplementing some of your day with whey protein.

Yes, it's better from whole foods, but if you're having trouble upping the protein then supplements do help.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Feel free to check out my diary. I eat small amounts of meat in about half my meals and I usually get close to or hit my protein macro. However, I can't eat dairy, so it'll be easier for you if you can because you'll have protein in milk, yogurt (especially Greek), and cheese.

Do you like soy products? I wasn't in the mood to cook meat last night, but I needed protein, so I made a delicious fried brown rice dish with edamame, sprouted tofu, and egg whites for 37 grams of protein. However, you shouldn't over-do the soy either. Rice and beans make a great complete protein - and they're cheap! You can also incorporate nuts, seeds, and nut/seed butters into your diet for a healthy dose of fats and protein. Whole grains also have protein; they're generally in smallish amounts, but they add up!

I used to use whey protein powder from Whole Foods, which was sweetened with stevia. The chocolate flavor was delicious, but I had to give up dairy, and then I decided I'd be more satisfied overall if I actually ate my calories and protein.
  • Bettyanne77
    Options
    Hemp protein powder is good if added to smoothies also quinoa
  • Alairissa
    Options
    Does protein help keep you full longer vs. carbs?
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    One word....

LOBSTER
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    There are a large variety of protein powers out there so you aren't limited to just a few kinds. Also, egg whites, fish, eggs, yogurt, and tofu.

As for you question regarding satiety, I personally find that fats and protein fill me up the best.