FitBit or BodyMedia armband?

Options
2»

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have a monthly subscription, you can buy an external display device ($15) that shows minute by minute calorie burn, steps taken, and minutes of moderate and vigorous exercise for the current and previous days.
    If you don't subscribe, do you only see what's on the external device, so no online historical charts or analytics?

Correct. You'd have to keep a spreadsheet for trending.

For what it's worth, I have both the device and the subscription (paid for a year in advance; I think it was $50). The device is very motivating as I can see what I have (or haven't) burned, so it makes me more likely to get up and get moving.
  • mountaingirl1961
    mountaingirl1961 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Search the forum, a while back somebody linked an article comparing the BodyMedia, FitBit, Body Bugg and one other metabolism measurement gizmo. Excellent write-up with some in-depth comparisons. His finding was that, of the four gizmos compared, the BodyMedia was the most accurate. I based my own purchase on his research and have been nothing but pleased.

The only downside I've found is that you can't use a HRM and the BodyMedia at the same time, so I've largely retired my HRM and am sticking with the BodyMedia's measurements.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I love love love my BodyMedia. I found out yesterday it tracks the afterburn from a lifting session. I love knowing exactly how many calories I am burning. The armband doesn't matter to me because IDGAF what other people think.
  • danicaliforn1a
    danicaliforn1a Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit. I use it quite religiously. Clip it onto my bra and away I go.
    For me, I know that daily I set a 10,000 step goal.
    If I have a less active day than I make a point of going for a long dog walk or run after work.
    It depends on what your overall goals are, each is a little different.
  • stat1124
    stat1124 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I do not go ANYWEAR without my BodyMedia Fit monitor. It is constantly measuring my expended calories and its scary accurate. When I really really track everything that goes into my mouth for a week, what it says I'm suppose to lose or gain is right on the money. Normally I find myself estimating the food that I do eat and I think most of the time I underestimate so it skews the results a little bit. Either way, I absolutely love it and every always stops me and asks about it. I'm down 26 lbs and well on my way to hitting my goal by March 1st! The way it syncs with MyFitnessPal is such a huge bonus as well!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I love love love my BodyMedia. I found out yesterday it tracks the afterburn from a lifting session. I love knowing exactly how many calories I am burning. The armband doesn't matter to me because IDGAF what other people think.

I agree. People often ask me about it, and I'm happy to tell them. I sometimes get the "But you're thin! You don't need to watch what you eat!" and my reply "I do if I want to stay this way" often confuses them. I then tell them that ANYBODY, even thin people, will gain weight if they eat too much.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Search the forum, a while back somebody linked an article comparing the BodyMedia, FitBit, Body Bugg and one other metabolism measurement gizmo. Excellent write-up with some in-depth comparisons. His finding was that, of the four gizmos compared, the BodyMedia was the most accurate. I based my own purchase on his research and have been nothing but pleased.

The only downside I've found is that you can't use a HRM and the BodyMedia at the same time, so I've largely retired my HRM and am sticking with the BodyMedia's measurements.

why can't you? I use my HRM when BMF when I work out just to compare the stats.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4
  • JBearsMom21
    JBearsMom21 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Another vote for BodyMedia. I love mine! I have only had it for about a month now and have lost 5.2 lbs with it so far. It is EXTREMELY accurate and I love that it gives you tips and tricks on staying under your calorie goal or being more active throughout the day. The weekly and monthly graphs are awesome too! I would shop around a bit to find a place with the best deal. I bought mine on ebay for about 50 bucks and it came with a free 12 month subscription.
  • sunflowertimes
    sunflowertimes Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit force and LOVE it!!!! I find it very accurate and very easy to use. Links right up to MFP and syncs every time I am within range of my computer.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the bodymedia. I bought mine used on ebay for $70 - SO worth it. It's amazing at tracking exactly how many calories you burn daily. It really changed the way I dieted and exercised. For best results I found strapping the band to my leg for things like hiking, biking, or lower-body exercise gave a more accurate results than strapping it to my arm. But the monthly fee is really obnoxious and I actually haven't been using mine lately because I haven't felt like paying for it.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have both the Body Media and a FitBit Flex. Both track calories/steps with about the same numbers. Neither of them accurately track calories burned while on an exercise bike, although you can at least wear the Body Media on your ankle while biking. I switched to just using the FitBit Flex when my six month subscription ended with Body Media. For ME, I like wearing this on my wrist. I'd be interested in a Body Media wrist device, but I didn't like how it showed up on my arm under clothes - mainly because of all the dang loose skin I have.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I use the Body Media and I love it-- I have been using it for almost a year- but I am lucky because I got it from a research study so I get to use it for free (well they actually pay me to wear it for a year and a half) for their study. I really really enjoy it. I wear it 97% of the time unless I am going to a wedding or something that it would look odd to wear it-- other times, I dont care if people see it or ask about it.

Someone said that it wasn't as accurate for them, but I haven't had this experience. I find that it is quite accurate for my all of my activity levels.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I've used the BodyMedia Link for over a year now and I've really liked it. It seems to be pretty accurate and it really does give you a good snapshot. The only drawbacks to it would be the subscription fee and it doesn't measure your heart rate. There are a few other minor things, like the armband sliding down your arm and losing contact (this happens infrequently and it's normally during the winter when I have long sleeved bulky clothes on) and it's hard to conceal with work clothes. Other than that I have been happy with it.
  • SnowWhiteFanatic
    SnowWhiteFanatic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love my body media band. I've had it since October and it's fantastic!!!
  • LoveAddison
    Options
    body media does not have a heart rated monitor
  • kareterra
    Options
    I agree - the fitbit seems to overestimate your activity and then gives you permission to eat more. For the first month, I had MFP and the fitbit linked and lost NADA. then I unlinked them, use fitbit as a guide ONLY and use MFP for the reality check. I've lost 5# since unlinking them about 3 weeks ago. My fitbit would tell me that I climbed all these stairs because I went over an overpass in the car. This was a little confusing because I actually DO take stairs alot, but I sure didn't remember taking that many!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    body media does not have a heart rated monitor

Neither does a Fitbit. They are not meant to be HRMs.
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit One - I just clip it to my bra in the morning, and forget about it! Super easy to manage, which is most important to me.

Also, this article compared accuracy of trackers: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/20/activity-monitor-accuracy-fitbit-jawbone_n_5516156.html - It looks like BMF and FitBit are most accurate, but still have a 10% variance.

I do a decent amount of heavy lifting, but choose not to include it in my tracker. I figure it's better to underestimate than overestimate cals. You have to keep in mind that if you do an elliptical at a high resistance or treadmill at an incline, it won't register with your FitBit, but you can manually input that information.

FYI, I bought mine used for $60. Plus, the FitBit customer service is amazing - I just had my case replaced for free because it was wearing down. I've been wearing mine on a daily basis since December, and love it!