Weight lifting advice for newbies?

Options
I've never lifted weights before, but I want to start! I've heard it affects your overall body fat percentage, and makes you leaner and (obviously) stronger. But I have no idea where to start!! Any lifting veterans have any advice on what to do? The more details, the better, please!!!

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'd start by reading either Starting Strength and/or using NROLFW and go from there. Get a friend to go with you so that way you can train together, you won't get bulky so as you progress don't use "barbie weights" and lift progressively heavier as you feel comfortable while keeping good form
  • foremate
    Options
    I have spent years trying to find what works for me....I have been doing Les Mills Body Pump and in a month I have gone down 1 pant size. The lifting totally works for me and watching what I eat...20 plus years of struggling and now I have finally found it!
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Starting Strength. The book is an excellent resource for learning the basic major lifts, and the program is simple to follow. As a beginner, you can make a ton of progress on a program that has you increasing the weight every workout.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The first thing to do is determine your goals and how much time you're ready to dedicate. Do you want to lift heavy? Are you willing to take the time to learn barbell lifts properly or are you more into machines and dumbbells?

My reco for a beginner book is Complete Guide To Strength Training by Anita Bean. The best book for people starting from scratch I've ever seen, literally starts at level 0 and progresses to advanced programs.

Welcome to lifting, have fun and good luck!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Starting Strength. The book is an excellent resource for learning the basic major lifts, and the program is simple to follow. As a beginner, you can make a ton of progress on a program that has you increasing the weight every workout.

^ This. You can also view quality demonstration videos on bodybuilding.com, and Mark Rippetoe and Jim Wendler both have instructional videos on YouTube. Just be picky about who you pay attention to on YouTube.
  • jonzn4fitness
    jonzn4fitness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For females I'd recommend starting with sets of 15-20 reps with a weight that makes it difficult to just reach the last three reps (usually something lightweight). For a good calorie burn start with a circuit day (three to five exercises completed one after the next without resting until the last exercise is completed) followed by a day of cardio, then maybe a rest day and repeat for a few weeks. Then change things up (newer moves, higher reps, faster/slower pace) to keep your body guessing. Remember your muscles are only gonna get large enough to handle the weight you're attempting to make it lift, so if you use lights weights you will not get bulky!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    For females I'd recommend starting with sets of 15-20 reps with a weight that makes it difficult to just reach the last three reps (usually something lightweight). For a good calorie burn start with a circuit day (three to five exercises completed one after the next without resting until the last exercise is completed) followed by a day of cardio, then maybe a rest day and repeat for a few weeks. Then change things up (newer moves, higher reps, faster/slower pace) to keep your body guessing. Remember your muscles are only gonna get large enough to handle the weight you're attempting to make it lift, so if you use lights weights you will not get bulky!

Good advise...until you said something about getting bulky.
    You will not get bulky lifting heavy weights unless you TRY to. I lift heavy 5-6 days per week and I am getting leaner, building LBM (lean body mass) and reducing BF (body fat).
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Good advise...until you said something about getting bulky.
    You will not get bulky lifting heavy weights unless you TRY to. I lift heavy 5-6 days per week and I am getting leaner, building LBM (lean body mass) and reducing BF (body fat).
    +1
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    1. Know what an exercise is supposed to LOOK like.
    2. Know what an exercise is supposed to FEEL like.
    3. Video yourself with each new exercise.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If you can afford a trainer, even for a few sessions, get one. This will have two benefits: learning form and setting up a program.

I also recommend kettlebells. Heavy ones, not the 5 lb ones that come with DVDs. :) I do some of my lifts with them as well as the various swings.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Get the book starting strength. If you belong to a gym then follow that routine. There's also new rules of lifting for women but I personally prefer the simplicity of staying strength and strong lifts.

Make sure your gym has olympic barbells, squat cages and benches and avoid the Smith machine.

Also don't worry about getting bulky. Its a scientific impossibility for that to happen if you're eating at a deficit, no matter how much weight you lift. I had trainers (bad ones) at my gym trying to convince me to give up lifting 5*5 because id get bigger. In actuality I went from a size 22 to a size 14.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to add, depending on how big your deficit is you might have a hard time weight lifting and recovering. . I found that the most deficit I could be in and still devote 3 days a week to beasting out in the weight room was 300-500