Slow going

Options
I'm new to MFP but I've been trying to lose weight since mid-May and have only succeeded in losing 5 pounds. I changed my eating significantly and my meals now include lots of salads, vegetables, fruit and less fat and simple carbs. I do eat dessert, though not frequently and in small serving sizes.
I have also been exercising regularly, ~4 times a week of 30 minute cardio, crunches and light weights once a week. My clothes fit better but I feel like progress has been slower than I expected. Do any of you have suggestions for how I can speed up my weight loss without being unhealthy? What am I doing wrong? Or is this old age? :laugh:

Replies

• SC74
    SC74 Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm new to MFP but I've been trying to lose weight since mid-May and have only succeeded in losing 5 pounds. I changed my eating significantly and my meals now include lots of salads, vegetables, fruit and less fat and simple carbs. I do eat dessert, though not frequently and in small serving sizes.
    I have also been exercising regularly, ~4 times a week of 30 minute cardio, crunches and light weights once a week. My clothes fit better but I feel like progress has been slower than I expected. Do any of you have suggestions for how I can speed up my weight loss without being unhealthy? What am I doing wrong? Or is this old age? :laugh:
  • honeybunchthree
    honeybunchthree Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You should think about increasing your cardio which would help you to burn more calories. Are you able to do that? Also, with your weight training, you might want to try and do that 3 to 4 times a week to help with burning fat and replacing that with muscle. As always, you want to try and burn more calories a day than you are taking in. Hope this helps.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Need more information.

How many calories a day are you eating

Are you exercising--are you eat your exercise calories?

Also, realize that you don't have that much to lose, so you should be looking at a max of 1/2 to 1 pound per week loss to do it in a healthy manner.
  • SC74
    Options
    I eat about 1200 - 1300 calories per day and burn an average of 300 calories when I exercise. Unfortunately, I have time constraints that don't allow me to dedicate too much more time to exercise.
    I only found out about eating exercise calories when I joined MFP so we'll see if that helps!
  • SC74
    Options
    You're right. I could try increasing the number of days I do weights. Thanks!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    You probably want to stick with at least 1300 per day--1200 is too low for most unless you have a lot to lose. You can learn more by reading post below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20035-just-because-you-can-have-a-2-pound-per-week-goal
  • SC74
    Options
    Thanks, Shorerider. I knew it would take me some time but not this long. Guess I need to be patient and persistent.