1st Blood Test After Eating Low Cab/High Fat

Options
In August, 2013, at 334 lbs, I started making better food choices and watching portions. Over the next couple of months. I managed to lose 13lbs. At the end of October, I had blood work done and the results were not good. My blood sugar was 152. That's in the Diabetic range, and it scared me. I had to do something more. On November 12, at 321 lbs, I started eating Low Carb/High Fat. I began losing weight faster than I had been, and I felt so much better.
I had blood drawn for testing the day before yesterday, weighing 277 lbs, and today I got my blood test results. Since the end of October, my blood sugar has dropped from 152 to 99, which is well into the normal range. I no longer have to worry about Diabetes. My total cholesterol went from 197 to 166. LDL went from 127 to 96 with HDL at 50. That makes my HDL ratio 3.3, which is great! Isn't it amazing that my cholesterol went way down even though I eat hardly anything but eggs, meat, cheese and dairy. I'm SO relieved by these test results. They're evidence that what I'm doing is working. I'm getting healthier!

Replies

• WTM2014
    WTM2014 Posts: 23
    Options
    Congratulations! That is such great news and must be comforting and motivating to see such strong results from your blood tests. Keep up the good work!
  • Niccidawn092
    Niccidawn092 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I started keto around the same time as you, and I have my first Dr's appointment since then in February. I'm really curious to see my lab work as my cholesterol was getting pretty high last year at this time.

Congrats on your hard work!
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Weight loss achieves this more than low carb/high fat diets.

Dietary intake of fats does almost nothing to your cholesterol levels.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    That was my first sign that the daily food choices I was making were helping.

I will never forget how amazing it was to realize I had prevented being on medicine. :)
  • rduclos
    rduclos Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on being a healthier you - keep up the great work
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Congrats OP Great Job ! :flowerforyou:
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's great results!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Great news! And congratulations! Going bacon diet, oops I mean low carb diet has changed my life, too...so nice to see it works for you, too!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! You should be so pleased. I eat low carb too...
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Awesome job Dan!!!!:flowerforyou: :drinker:

I have to take some tests for my insurance company. If i pass they knock off $300 from my premium. I hope i test as well as you did! i have slightly high cholesterol so I know I will fail that test.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Great job! Congratulations.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    Congrats! Great Job. Glad you found what works best for your body.
  • crossroad2012
    crossroad2012 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That is quite a change! Congrats!!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Good for you. When a body is helped to be healthy it becomes healthy. All the very best as you progress to your other goals, having found your key
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Weight loss achieves this more than low carb/high fat diets.

Dietary intake of fats does almost nothing to your cholesterol levels.

Reframing the OP's statistics:

From August to November--let's say 2 1/2 to 3 months since we don't know the exact start day--he lost 13 pounds, or around 5 lbs. a month, by restricting portions and "making better choices", as he put it. His blood sugar was in the diabetic range at 152, cholesterol 197, LDL 127.

From mid-November to late January, about 2 1/2 months, he ate LCHF, and doesn't mention counting calories or restricting portions. He lost 44 pounds, or about 17.5 lbs. a month. His glucose improved to 99, total cholesterol to 166, LDL to 96.

It's facile to dismiss the drastic improvement on LCHF as solely due to the weight loss.

Agreed, though, that dietary fat intake doesn't affect cholesterol a whole lot. Since it's been shown that most people hold their protein intake pretty constant at around 15%-25% of calories (unless they're purposely increasing it for muscle gain or whatnot), one might suspect that the lowered intake of carbohydrate was at least partly responsible for the improved numbers.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!