Jazzercise - Yay or Nay?

Options
Hi everyone,

A friend recently bought me a 20 class pass for Jazzercise; I'm not sure if it's because she wants company, or because she wants the world to see how completely uncoordinated I am.

Has anyone taken Jazzercise before? Since (as I mentioned) I am the least coordinated person to ever walk (or trip constantly) this earth, will the classes be difficult or are the moves easy to learn? I'm terrified of being completely out of my element and being unable to keep up with the Jazzercise pros.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips you can provide!

Replies

• wilkonator
    wilkonator Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've never, ever heard of something like this. NEVER!

Yet it sounds like amazing fun, any class that involves music, dancing and company - i'd say hell yeah, girl. Give it a try and make your choice on whether or not to keep going on that, no? Worth a shot.
  • ChaelaMonstah
    ChaelaMonstah Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Yet it sounds like amazing fun, any class that involves music, dancing and company - i'd say hell yeah, girl. Give it a try and make your choice on whether or not to keep going on that, no? Worth a shot.

I heard about it when I was really young. I knew it was huge a few decades ago (my mother and every female coworker she knew went religiously), and I guess it's made a comeback.

It's definitely worth a shot, I just know I'm going to look like a total goober. :tongue:
  • wilkonator
    wilkonator Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I heard about it when I was really young. I knew it was huge a few decades ago (my mother and every female coworker she knew went religiously), and I guess it's made a comeback.

It's definitely worth a shot, I just know I'm going to look like a total goober. :tongue:

Total goober? Ay-right. :tongue: Go give it a shot, you'll be grand. Bet you might end up loving it, jeezus i'd probably go myself if such a thing existed here, probably should check that out though. :wink:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Bump .....I wanna know. Count me in as totally uncoordinated....collagevideo.com calls Jazzercise DVDs as "basic or moderate choreography"

http://www.collagevideo.com/searchresults.aspx?type=all&search=jazz

I'm sure there are some on Youtube you could try out
  • Lucyk00
    Lucyk00 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Find some jazzercise videos on YouTube and try to do them. This is what I did to determine I never want to attempt Zumba, dancing just isn't my "thing".
  • _jessicamarie_
    _jessicamarie_ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love love love Jazzercise. Definitely try it out, especially if she bought you a pass! Their website has demonstrations of all the basic moves that every routine is built on, so you can familiarize yourself with what you'll be doing. The moves are seriously not too hard, and it's lots of fun and burns a ton of calories.
  • cate272
    Options
    I did it a few years ago - I enjoyed it, esp as the class tended to use pretty up to date music. Wouldn't worry too much about the coordination thing - I suppose it depends on who is leading the class, but I found that mine focused more on aerobics to music, rather than being particularly "dance-y". If she's given you a pass though, I don't think there's any harm at all in going along and trying it - I had fun, just found that after a while, I got more out of a harder class at the gym.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Jazzercise? Um, it's aerobics... With leg warmers and puffy hair... Jazzercise is back, really? Wow. Nothing at all wrong with doing it, lots of people had a lot of fun with it the first time around, but I'm really surprised. OP, I don't think you'll have trouble with the choreography. You'll just get a nice aerobic workout. Enjoy.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I say Nay. Decent workout I guess but I'd rather do something else, personally.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Ugh an office I worked at had a jazzercise instructor hold classes for us and my co- workers insisted I go. They made me stand in the back after a few minutes because I was always going the wrong way and distracting everyone. Couple this with the humiliation as a young girl in love with the idea of being a ballerina getting kicked out for being hopeless (just as well, they whacked you with a yardstick back then, ouch) and I will never attend any sort of dance class again.

Do yourself a favor and stand in the back from the start if you're as graceless and dance impaired as me.
  • _jessicamarie_
    _jessicamarie_ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ugh an office I worked at had a jazzercise instructor hold classes for us and my co- workers insisted I go. They made me stand in the back after a few minutes because I was always going the wrong way and distracting everyone. Couple this with the humiliation as a young girl in love with the idea of being a ballerina getting kicked out for being hopeless (just as well, they whacked you with a yardstick back then, ouch) and I will never attend any sort of dance class again.

Do yourself a favor and stand in the back from the start if you're as graceless and dance impaired as me.

That's really sad, I'm sorry that happened to you :(
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    Stand in the back until you get used to the moves and queues, but you'll get used to it. Have fun with it. If you're lost then just do something else to keep moving and keep your heart rate up. I've been a step aerobics instructor and a couple pieces of advice: (1) Tell the instructor you're new. This is only so they'll keep an eye on you. (2) Remember it's your workout... make it as hard or as easy as you want/need. If your HR isn't as high as you want add jumps and hops to the moves and bigger arms. If your HR is too high then stop doing arms or keep your moves small. Most of all: have fun. These kinds of classes are supposed to be fun ways to do cardio. And as someone that regulars all kinds of different cardio classes, know that nobody will be laughing at you. We've all been at the unfamiliar stage. Even when there is a new instructor there is a learning curve even for regulars, so just go in with a good attitude and have fun. Don't try to keep up with the "pros" in the class. You're there for you.
  • jamiemommaof3
    jamiemommaof3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I used to do go to Jazzercise and I loved it! I would stay in the back row until I got the moves down then as I would get comfortable with the dances I would move up some.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Jazzercise is Awesome!!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I took 10 jazzercise classes at the end of 2012. I absolutely LOVED it. I don't care what anyone says, I found it fun.

I am completely uncoordinated so it took me a few weeks to get the hang of the moves. Once you learn them, you'll know what to do.

The other people suggesting you stand in the back have good suggestions.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Hello, the 80s called . . .
  • cathiaflock
    cathiaflock Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I joined and wasn't sure either but It IS AMAZING!!! aerobics, toning, kickboxing in one class. You will get toned and lose inches fast. It is awesome!!! If your friend bought you a pass use it definitely!! Why not? I am still trying to keep up but it's not about keeping up with the instructor it's about YOU, and how bad you'd love to sculpt yourself. I would do it!! Best to you!!!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I did some jazzercise when it was popular in the early 80's and thought it was just another aerobics class.
    I personally did not like the music much ( too much like muzak...lively.... but musak nonetheless ).
    I personally think that anything that will get a person off the couch and to move, no matter how graceful they are, or not, is a good thing. I have to say I did better as far as coordination goes with jazzercise than I did with ballroom dancing....lol.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Hello, the 80s called . . .

:angry:

There are some pretty hot women there.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the local Jazzercise place for 2 years now...and really like it---a lot!! I wouldn't say it's 80's stuff at all. They play current music and the routines are constantly updated.

The workout starts out with a warm up...about 30 minutes of aerobic, and the remaining class involves weights and focus on body parts. Easily burns 550 - 600 calories/hour--while having fun!

Women of all shapes, sizes and physical abilities!

I'm so glad I've been going.