To Weigh or Not to Weigh (good to ditch the scale?)

Options
I've been working on healthy living for a couple of years now (I turn 50 this year), and when I started out, I was weighing once a week, which I shifted to daily in the morning when I was doing my vigorous exercise. I had a decent weight loss, then hit a plateau and the scale was a thorn in my side even though I was looking and feeling good. Things got busy in the last few months of the year, and I gained some back although thankfully not near all of it.

Now that I've taken the plunge to register here, and to track my food which I plan to start next week, I'm tempted to ditch the scale entirely. I know my starting weight because I just had my annual physical, and I know my pants will tell me when I'm doing good just as they did when I started to regain. I really feel like taking some before pictures and then weekly photos would be more motivating to me than a number.

Am I completely nuts or has anyone else had success by forgoing the scale completely in the weight loss and healthy lifestyle quest? I'll probably hop on once a month, but I just feel that being free of numbers for a while as I settle into this next phase of healthy living would be good.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose (or gain) weight by tracking calories, measuring weight is a pretty good idea. Just have to keep perspective on it.
  • lmd_1979
    lmd_1979 Posts: 130
    Options
    Put the scales away in storage if you prefer to use photos and your instincts. Or you could use a tape measure instead.
  • Shynique37
    Shynique37 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Go by the pics & fitting of your clothes
  • misaivon
    misaivon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think whatever makes you feel more in control and less anxious is good. If you don't want to weight yourself, but you are willing to daily log your food intake, it will help you being honest with yourself. I just started the program a week ago, and I need a motivation, which is the scale, to know that what I am doing is giving some results. However, the scale doesn't move too much, but people are starting to notice and telling me that I in fact look thinner. I am doing a lot of weigh training too, so when I go on the scale I get disappointed.
  • fitformidlife
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to try ditching the scale for a while and see how it goes. It was realizing that my pants were getting close to not fitting that alerted me how far I'd slipped when things got busy and I let my eating habits slack off. I think photos will be a big motivator too because I want to tone as much as to lose weight. I don't know just how much I can whip a half century old body into shape but I'm going to find out.
  • Kiwi94544
    Options
    I think the scale can most definitely be a helpful tool - especially if you're someone like me (obese). Clothing sometimes isn't as good a way to gauge your loss if you're wearing sizes like 18, 20, etc.

For example, my girlfriends who are size 10 can drop 10 pounds and fit comfortably into a size 8. 10 pounds and they're down a size. Where as I was a size 18 when I was 264... I am a size 18 now at 251.8... and last year, when I got down to 230, I was STILL an 18... and honestly, I didn't notice any MAJOR difference in fit at 230 vs. 264. I mean, that size 18 was most definitely SNUG at 264, and fit just fine at 230.... But we're talking about a 34lb difference, with no BIG noticeable change in clothing. And it took me about 10 weeks to drop that 30 lbs last year.

So for ME, if I ditched my scale and only measured my weight loss by my clothing, I'd probably find it hard... simply because even after 10 weeks of dedicated effort, I probably still wouldn't "feel" much difference. For me, the scale is the better tool, because I can track my progress better, even if I'm not dropping a size for another 4 months. Seeing that little bit of progress reassures me that I'm at least moving in the right direction.

That being said, the scale can be your best friend some days, and your enemy on others. My weight goes up and down depending on 'time of the month' - how much water I'm drinking - etc. So weighing myself any more frequently than once a week is too difficult for me mentally.... cause day to day there could be a 3-5lb difference sometimes... Down 2 lbs this week.... Up 1 lb the next?!.... Then down 4 the following week? Despite consistently tracking EVERYTHING I eat and exercising every day, I still get these frustrating fluctuations... But I try to look at the "big" picture and so long as the overall trend for the month is headed downward, I'm ok with it. I've been at it for a month and am "averaging" 3-4 lbs lost a week... even though some weeks show a "gain" - the monthly 'average' is still good.
  • fitformidlife
    Options
    That's a great point about the fluctuation, and that's part of what frustrated me before. I weighed in the morning because I can go up or down quite a bit just based on time of day, and of course time of month, too. When I had my initial weight loss, I bought lots of new pants and got rid of almost all my old ones. The new ones had gotten loose, and now they're tight, so they'll make a great gauge. I refuse to buy larger sizes because I know my lazy butt it capable of getting back down and eventually to my target weight (25 to 30 lbs. in total), so that's a way to stay accountable. Clothes that fit or nudity, LOL.
  • Barbie_Q
    Barbie_Q Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not weighing myself, I have 2 pairs of pants that fit right now, I want to throw them away and fit into my smaller pants... That's all know, all my nice pants are a few inches away. I will not buy bigger pants, I like what you said: clothes that fit or nudity lolol
  • maanders
    maanders Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think the scale can most definitely be a helpful tool - especially if you're someone like me (obese). Clothing sometimes isn't as good a way to gauge your loss if you're wearing sizes like 18, 20, etc.

For example, my girlfriends who are size 10 can drop 10 pounds and fit comfortably into a size 8. 10 pounds and they're down a size. Where as I was a size 18 when I was 264... I am a size 18 now at 251.8... and last year, when I got down to 230, I was STILL an 18... and honestly, I didn't notice any MAJOR difference in fit at 230 vs. 264. I mean, that size 18 was most definitely SNUG at 264, and fit just fine at 230.... But we're talking about a 34lb difference, with no BIG noticeable change in clothing. And it took me about 10 weeks to drop that 30 lbs last year.

^^This is so me!!

I personally weigh every day. I put my weight along with my calories in/out for the day in a spreadsheet. (OK...I am a nerd and a little OCD). Then, my daily weight just becomes data.

I can use this data to look for trends (upwards or downwards) and know if my weight change over a month corresponds with a theorectical 3500 = 1 lb. calculation.

That being said...this is just me. If it bothers you to see the scale go both up and down (which it will), then, by all means don't weigh as often or throw it out.
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Why not? Chuck the scale for 2 months or so and then reevaluate your goals. It wouldn't work for everyone, but it sounds like you are looking for a change.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 pounds from my goal weight and I still measure twice daily. Once at night and once in the morning. It hasn't made me crazy (yet!) seeing numbers move up and down. I use it as perspective. If it goes up a little or stays the same, I make some adjustments the next few days.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself since August of last year.

I estimate, by visuals and clothing, I've lost about 50 or so pound since.

Except for a brief period last summer when I became obsessive about weighing myself, I have always forsaken the scale during weight loss. I actually rather enjoy going by visuals and clothing size and being happily shocked out of my mind when I do finally step on a scale.
  • fitformidlife
    Options
    I tend to be compulsive and overly organized in most areas of my life, so I think maybe the frequent weighing is just a bit too much. It gave me comfort at first to do it, even if the scale went up, because I could adjust my plan accordingly. But then I think I started attaching too much important. Since I'm compulsive about that sort of thing, cold turkey is my best bet, at least for a couple of months. I'm starting my food diary tomorrow, so I'll still have data. It just won't be a number that I can obsess on.
  • misaivon
    misaivon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You would be surprised of what your body can do. I know it is easier saying than doing it, but it is only a matter of the right time. I started doing the daily log in this website, that is something that I used to say was very difficult for me. I surprised myself doing it and helping me to control the overeating. I got used to the gym and exercise and it has been over two years of consistent exercise routine, that is something that was hard to do, now it is the time of changing my eating habits. One day at a time.
  • justcallmejai
    Options
    I like the idea of trying on clothes or buying something you know is too small, trying it on, and taking pictures every 2 weeks or once a month. scales are cool but sometimes you can weigh the same and still be more fit and fit those smaller clothes...which is also cool !