British royal family and clean eating

Options
I recently visited London and went to a few historical sites such as the Tower and it struck me that many of the monarchy through history were obese, especially in later life. William the Conqueror was described as obese, Queen Anne as "gross and corpulent". Both George 3rd and 4th were grossly fat. Queen Victoria had a 50inch waist and Henry 8th's was 60 inches.

The thing is all of these monarchs never had "processed" food, or HFCS. Fast food was unheard of as we're chemical preservatives. They would have eaten what is now classed as organic meat and veges. They simply ate far to many calories and didn't move enough.

The problem today is that we can all now afford to eat as much food as the monarchs of the past and so some of us do.

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

Nonsense. Nobody was fat and they all lived long disease free lives before evil corporations.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

Nonsense. Nobody was fat and they all lived long disease free lives before evil corporations.

Especially the cavemen
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    William the Conquerer was not just obese. He was so big that when he died, a bunch of people tried to stuff him in his coffin and his corpse exploded. http://www.history.com/news/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-william-the-conqueror (point #8. #7 is fun too).

And people think history is boring.
  • chism21
    chism21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    William the Conquerer was not just obese. He was so big that when he died, a bunch of people tried to stuff him in his coffin and his corpse exploded. http://www.history.com/news/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-william-the-conqueror (point #8. #7 is fun too).

gross and shameful to die and end up that way
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    the ability to be larger (fatter) was a sign of wealth-- times have changed and now thinness is a sign of wealth... same thing for tans as well.
  • VBnotbitter
    Options

I liked #7 much better than a juicing fast
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    nothing like shaming the fat people of history

not enough to do it to those in the present I guess eh :drinker:
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    the ability to be larger (fatter) was a sign of wealth-- times have changed and now thinness is a sign of wealth... same thing for tans as well.

True. Some tribes in Africa pride obesity in women because it means they don't have "the disease."

I saw on TV that 100% of all mega-million lotto winners reported gaining weight.
  • VBnotbitter
    Options
    nothing like shaming the fat people of history

not enough to do it to those in the present I guess eh :drinker:

14mb7ll.jpg
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I liked #7 much better than a juicing fast

True facts. Wine and spirits are more fun than mediaeval water.

I also think it's interesting to note that most of these royals pretty much shunned vegetables as "peasant" food and it caused a huge problem with gout and scurvy wasn't uncommon either. So, moral is, don't live like William the Conquerer. Unless of course, you feel like conquering England. Then do whatever you want, I can't stop you.