Polar HRM problem

Options
This is the 2nd polar I have had. I just got it for Christmas. I dropped the sensor and the battery fell out. So I put it back in and now it can't pick up the HR this is the 2nd time it happened. My first sensor same thing. So my question is does anybody know if you have to reset settings or something?? The battery is in correctly and I have tried wetting strap numerous times. Help!

Replies

• charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Anybody??
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    They say not to change/put in battery yourself, but get it done by the company..
    I never dropped mine so don't have this problem, try not to drop your next one?? (I know not very helpful)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    They say not to change/put in battery yourself, but get it done by the company..
    I never dropped mine so don't have this problem, try not to drop your next one?? (I know not very helpful)

You can change the battery yourself on the new ones without issue. The old ones wanted you to have it professionally replaced due to water resistance issues. But that is no longer the case.

But unfortunately, I can't help with your problem.
  • JustT1m
    JustT1m Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What model of Polar HRM?
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    try taking the battery out and putting back in, and then when it comes back up see if there is a way to clear everything you have set.
    Sometimes mine does this and I have to do that, it is kinda like a mini computer which needs to be reset sometimes. hope this helps.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar Ft4 back in September--until recently I would be in the middle of a workout and it would say "Check heartrate transmitter". I was going to change the battery in both the transmitter and the watch. So, I took them out to retreive the numbers. I went and couldn't find the batteries--but for some unknown reason, taking the batteries out and putting them back in FIXED my problem. I haven't had one problem since. If you can't figure it out contact Polar. They should be able to help.
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    They have a 800 number for technical support. You can call them.
  • charelg
    Options
    Thanks. It is a Polar Ft4 and I wasn't trying to change the battery I am just clumsy. My last watch I gave away because I figured it was broke. Their is no way this thing is broke considering its supposed to be water resistant and I have only had it for a few weeks. On the phone with the polar company now.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options

I changed the battery myself - no issues
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    This is the 2nd polar I have had. I just got it for Christmas. I dropped the sensor and the battery fell out. So I put it back in and now it can't pick up the HR this is the 2nd time it happened. My first sensor same thing. So my question is does anybody know if you have to reset settings or something?? The battery is in correctly and I have tried wetting strap numerous times. Help!
    Yes if you reset everything it should be just fine. For some when you change out your battery it needs to be reset.

I've changed out my battery myself and then from then on taken it to a Clock/watch store to check the seal. I swim and once I found out about the seal I pay $7 and have someone else do.

It was them that told me it needs to be reset after changing out the battery. Hope the info helps :o)

Mine is also a FT4...also the instruction booklet (or look at the instruction booklet online if you've misplaced yours) explains resetting it after battery changes.
  • charelg
    Options
    I couldn't find the reset instructions in the inst manual. After being on hold for 20 minutes a recording said we are experiencing techincal difficulties, and I got disconnected. This sucks. I will have to try and look up the reset inst again.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Resetting merely means resetting your stats etc. Same as you did when you first got it.:happy:

Re-enter the basic settings if you
    changed the training computer
    batteries.

Troubleshooting
    If you don't know where you are in the menu, press and hold BACK until the time of day is displayed.
    If there are no reactions to any buttons or the FT4 displays unusual readings, reset the training computer
    by pressing four buttons (UP, DOWN, BACK and LIGHT) simultaneously for four seconds. The display will
    go blank for a moment. Press OK and Please enter basic settings will shortly be displayed. Enter time
    and date. With long press BACK the display returns to time of day view. All other settings except time and
    date will be saved.

http://www.polar.com/e_manuals/FT4/Polar_FT4_user_manual_English/manual.pdf
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Resetting merely means resetting your stats etc. Same as you did when you first got it.:happy:

Re-enter the basic settings if you
    changed the training computer
    batteries.

Troubleshooting
    If you don't know where you are in the menu, press and hold BACK until the time of day is displayed.
    If there are no reactions to any buttons or the FT4 displays unusual readings, reset the training computer
    by pressing four buttons (UP, DOWN, BACK and LIGHT) simultaneously for four seconds. The display will
    go blank for a moment. Press OK and Please enter basic settings will shortly be displayed. Enter time
    and date. With long press BACK the display returns to time of day view. All other settings except time and
    date will be saved.

http://www.polar.com/e_manuals/FT4/Polar_FT4_user_manual_English/manual.pdf

Huh I wonder if this is all I need to do - I just ordered a replacement strap thinking this was the problem. My unit was a few years older and I know the strap wears out.
  • _jessicamarie_
    _jessicamarie_ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    They also have a live chat option as well, M-F 8:45-5:15
    http://www.polar.com/us-en/support/contact_us/email_polar

I would much rather chat than talk on the phone personally. They were very helpful when I was having technical issues with mine.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I had a problem with mine about a year ago, and got someone on the phone at Polar tech support who told me to take the batteries out of both the transmitter and the watch for 3 minutes. Sometime when you change them in one, or change them quickly, they get out of synch or something. Seemed like nonsense to get me off the phone, but sure enough, I took both batteries out for over 3 minutes, put them both back in and haven't had a problem since.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,661 Member
    Options
    This is the second time I've had problems with my Polar FT4 transmitter. Sometimes, it declares me as undead (no pulse), other times it says I am at 130% of max heart rate, before jumping back to zombie status. I tried changing the batteries, wetting the strap, tightening the strap, wearing the watch on my bra strap so it was closer to the transmitter.

The good news is that the Polar warranty is two years and their support is good. I have just sent back my HRM for it's second repair within a year. If you report the problem on the Polar website, they send you instructions on how to get a warranty repair or replacement.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I had a problem with mine about a year ago, and got someone on the phone at Polar tech support who told me to take the batteries out of both the transmitter and the watch for 3 minutes. Sometime when you change them in one, or change them quickly, they get out of synch or something. Seemed like nonsense to get me off the phone, but sure enough, I took both batteries out for over 3 minutes, put them both back in and haven't had a problem since.
    great to know, glad you shared!:happy:
  • Runs4Wine
    Options

Thanks for this tip, I will try this as well. I tried the suggestion above (resetting data) and while it seemed to work for one run, it went back to losing my HR to going too high.

If all else fails the replacement strap has been delivered so I will get that after I get home from my business trip.
  • mssag
    mssag Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was having problems with my FT4 a couple of months ago (wasn't detecting my heart rate). I did two things, not sure which fixed it: (1) made sure I wasn't wearing any lotion in the sensor area, and (2) made sure the strap was tighter. It's worked since then.
  • Runs4Wine
    Options
    Figured I'd share how I finally got mine fixed:

I had to replace the strap - got the soft strap found on Amazon and I LOVE it. It's much more comfortable than the original that came with it., and that one didn't bother me that much.

Replaced both batteries
    Tried to delete the data
    took batteries out for 3+ minutes simultaneously and put them back

All of which would work for 1-2 runs then the problem would resume. But the new strap did the trick!