How much peanut butter is too much peanut butter?

Options
Every morning, I eat oatmeal and I like to mix in some sugar free peanut butter. The calories generally add up to around 220. I generally go with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, but sometimes I may add in a little more (probably just a tsp more). I really love the taste.

I went through a jaw surgery a couple of months ago, and recovered. But recently, my jaw has been giving me pain again so I've been on a soft chew diet. Oatmeal has been perfect for me every single morning.

But my question is -- How much oatmeal/peanut butter is TOO much oatmeal/peanut butter?

Should I mix up my daily breakfast foods, and alternate a bit? Or is this just fine?
I really want to maintain my weight. I'm 5'6" and my weight fluctuates from 114-120 lbs.

Do you guys think I'm just fine with how I am eating my breakfast every single morning, or do you think my routine will cause me to gain weight in the long run?

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Unless that's all you eat for every meal and every snack, day after day, there is no reason to change. I'm sure lunch and dinner balance out your macro just the way they should for anyone with a favorite snack or meal.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Too much and peanut butter...should never be in the same sentence ;(
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    An entire jar. Somebody in another thread said they eat an entire jar in one sitting. I...can't...compute.
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    In theory you could eat all of your calories in peanut butter and lose weight as long as you maintain a calorie deficit. Not a nutritionally sound choice, but you could lose.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as too much peanut butter! I love my peanut butter!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    If you eat so much peanut butter that there is none left for me, that is too much peanut butter.

Rigger
  • pigote
    pigote Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    So glad to find others that share my peanut butter addiction!
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    never too much peanut butter
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

This is the right answer.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the movie The Family when the lady blows up the French grocery store for not carrying peanut butter.

There has never been enough peanut butter, ever.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options

^
    ^
    ^
    THIS!
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as too much peanut butter! I love my peanut butter!
    ^
    ^
    ^
    Amen!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I can truly say that 5 tbsps. Is nowhere near enuff each nite.
  • ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I ate an entire jar of peanut butter yesterday. That might have been an excessive amount. Maybe. o.0
  • naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Oh my god I am exactly the same. Every morning I have 1/2 cup of oats and 1 tbsp of peanut butter, with a packet of stevia in it.
    I always measure out 1 tbsp, and depending on my mood/willpower in the morning I might add more to taste.

Trust me, peanut butter is SOOOO not an issue in your diet. You'll never see a 600lb person saying "It's the darned peanut butter that did it!!" Eat as much as you like, keep the calories in a good range, and you'll be fine!

How is peanut butter not a superfood yet?
  • SerenitiC
    SerenitiC Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    *gasp* !! The horror! Too much and peanut butter in the same sentence! What is wrong with you? :tongue:

Hey, I say enjoy it, could be snacking on alot worse ya know.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Nonsense!!
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I eat the same breakfast every morning. One slice of gluten free toast, peanut butter, a banana and coffee. I have no desire to change this up. LOL. Enjoy the peanut butter....it is awesome.
  • zLeaDr
    zLeaDr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Isn't peanut butter it's own food group? And, perhaps the foundation of the pyramid? :wink:
    I agree with our fellow MFP-ers above: So long as you track with measurement accuracy, you should be fine.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    As long as you are able to stay within your calorie goal and macros (fat, protein, carbs) and it doesn't completely displace other foods, I see no problem with it. Now, if it starts preventing you from getting the other food groups (like bacon and chocolate? … :wink: :laugh:) you may want to reassess. But for breakfast everyday? I don't see a problem.