At the end of my rope

Options
I am larger today than I have ever been in my life, even when I was 9 months pregnant. I am so ashamed of my body I am embarrassed to go out into public. I think about my weight everyday and just get more depressed. I don't know why I continue to make poor choices.

I want to go home and get on my treadmill every night but I am too exhausted after work. ( I do have a heart condition) so I am exhausted all the time and can not do any working out except walking or swimming. I even went so far as wearing maternity pants to keep my stomach from coming out of my pants like a muffin top. That was a REAL LOW feeling. I am ready to change, but do not feel strong enough to really do it.

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    you can do it - slow and steady wins the race - track your food and figure out if there are things you could change to give you more energy - walking and swimming are good exercise and once you get into a routine you will feel better, as your endurance builds you can add different types of exercise.

but really tracking your food honestly helps a lot and helps to make better choices - log everything even if you go over your calories

good luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • monietrojan
    monietrojan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. If you are ready to change your body then do it. You don't have to began working out running 5 miles. If you're too tire when you get home try waking up earlier working out then. Once your body gets used to working out, you'll have more energy. Start off with eating right and doing about 15-30 mins of some type of workout then go from there.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I had 0 energy when I got off work at night too. But I started tracking my food and eating healthier and noticed an increase in my energy. Joining here is the first step in getting to your goals! Baby steps, taking a day at a time and you will get there!
  • augcog
    augcog Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I believe you ended up on this webpage for a reason. You are ready to change. You need to believe in yourself. If you can't focus on working out right now focus on tracking food. You will have more energy because you are putting healthier things in your body. I too am at my heaviest, or almost. I get to be the biggest bridesmaid in the wedding party for my friend's May wedding, but I am trying. I have no one to blame but myself and as the weight comes off, even slowly, I feel freedom!
  • rmblackmt123
    rmblackmt123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can do it. If you have a treadmill at home just put the incline up and a 3 mph walk will burn 2 times the calories. I WALK 3 miles a day and love it. Don't let anyone or thing get you down.
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You have to decide to do this for you. Not for your children or anyone else. This is all about you. When I was 30 I weighed 275 lbs. 5'5" tall. In other words I was a chunky little rascal. I too felt like you do. You deserve better. Your first job is to make yourself believe you deserve better and you are worth it. And you are. Don't do anything drastic in the way of dieting. It can cause your metabolism to shut down. Follow the advice of others here. Log everything you eat and don't feel guilty about it. It can help show you where you need to make better choices. Of course I don't have any idea what your situation is but you might want to look into The Body Reset. It can give you a boost to get started and will help to regulate your metabolism and blood sugar levels. Google it. My husband and I started it 16 days ago and he has lost 7 lbs and I have lost 8. Never feel hungry and the water weight will come off quick which will help your heart condition. Neither of us realized how much water weight we were carrying until about a week in when we both had really skinny ankles again.

Even taking a walk around the block in the morning before you go to work will help. Also you might want to get an inexpensive pedometer to wear while you are at work. with that you can find out how many calories you are burning during the day. It is about calories in VS calories burned but it is also about balance of sugars, carbs, protein, and fats. You need a balance of all those items. Don't weigh yourself more than ever 3-4 days and better to do at week intervals. This will help you not get discouraged if you are not losing every day which you won't once you get into this awhile.

Stick to it and learn to love yourself. Prayer to you for strength to meet your goal.
    I am larger today than I have ever been in my life, even when I was 9 months pregnant. I am so ashamed of my body I am embarrassed to go into public. I think about my weight everyday and just get more depressed. I don't know why I continue to make poor choices.

I want to go home and get on my treadmill every night but I am too exhausted after work. ( I do have a heart condition) so I am exhausted all the time and can not do any working out except walking or swimming. I ever went so far as wearing maternity pants to keep my stomach from coming out of my pants like a muffin top. That was a REAL LOW feeling. I am ready to change, but do not feel strong enough to really do it.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Working out does NOT cause weight loss!!! When will people get it and STOP using "Exercise" as an EXCUSE for failure. Wt Loss is 90/10...90% of what you EAT% and 10% ACTIVITY. ACTIVITY is Movement, just Movement, anywhere, doing anything...including sitting on your couch and breathing! Activity is important in your Quality of Life as well as Body conditioning/tone, mental and spiritual well-being but has NO basic effect on Wt Loss and maintenance.

So if you want to change...begin with small steps in changing your Eating Habits,,,be patient with yourself and persistent. Swim when you can, walk as much as possible...up and down stairs at work and at home, walk at the office/work, get up and do calisthenics every hour at work or during commercials at home...just move. BUT remember: IT IS ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU EAT!
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you've heard over and over that "loosing weight starts in the kitchen". Focus on that first
  • annie4545
    annie4545 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging words! I needed them today! Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day! :)
  • huntndox
    huntndox Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with the folks who have said that it's really all about what you put in your body. Exercise is nice, but if you can't do it, don't lose any sleep over it. Once you begin to drop a bit of weight, then you may feel more like exercising. I know I have. And now I'm able to get in a pretty good stint of exercise every day.

But, let me emphasize that it's all about the food, not about the exercise. Simple math. Less in, and more out, equals you will lose weight. You really can do this. Especially with all the support that you will get from all of the MFP folks. They are wonderful, and will help you as much as you let them!