help runners!

Options
I am training for my first half marathon in may. I have been running on the treadmill almost everyday anywhere from 1-4 miles. I've been doing this for only a few weeks. At first I would mostly just walk and now I've been trying to pick up my pace and jog/run a good portion of it. I have been having pretty bad pain which is what I think might just be sore muscles or shin splints and am wondering if this is normal or if I'm overdoing myself. Sometimes it hurts so bad I almost can't run at all and have to completely stop. Other times its just moderate pain while running and I can push through it. Is this pain normal where km just starting to pick up my speed and distance? I'm pretty positive there isn't anything wrong with bones. And also after I run I usually feel fine after a while but I also have a strong pain tolerance. I just don't want to injure myself and don't want to quit if this pain is normal for a pretty new runner.

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes are you wearing? If you haven't been fitted, do it. Then ditch the dreadmill and hit the streets running (yeah, I know it's cold out). The quicker you acclimate yourself to road running, the better off you'll be for your half.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You don't say specifically where the pain is. But pain is normally trying to tell you something. Also if you've only been doing this for a few weeks and every day you may have overdone it. It takes a while for your body to adjust to the stresses of running. Normally people would only run 2 or 3 days a week when they start.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    First of all you shouldn't be running every day.
    Second you should try to train outdoors at least once a week or you will basically be starting over in your training.
    Have you run 5k's or 10k's before? A half in may is pretty ambitious. Not say to it can't be done. But what training program are you using?
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    First, go get fitted for running shoes at a running store. The shoes are more expensive there than buying them at a sporting goods store but it's worth the extra money. I can't stress enough how important the right shoe is.

Second, you need to rest to let the pain go away.

Third, get a training program. I think you are running too much. If you can't run 3 miles straight, you aren't ready to train for the half yet. Follow the couch to 5k program. When you finish that, look at Hal Higdon beginner's half marathon training program and follow that. It starts with 3 mile runs and you train to 10 miles.

Edited to say sorry that I missed that you are up to 4 miles now. Maybe look at the bridge to 10k program and then move on to the half marathon training program. My main point was to get a training program.
  • cipote67
    cipote67 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with josavage, get a training program. How long have you been running? Are you following the 10% rule? We need more info about your fitness/running background. Listen to your body. If you're hurting you need to slow down. Some of us runners have a hard time stoping or resting when injury is apparent.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE RUNNING TOO MUCH! And you are going to hurt yourself. If you are already up to 4 miles a half by May is very doable, but look up Hal Higdon and pick his beginner 1/2 marathon program just like josavage said. Your body gets stronger when it is resting (after you have beaten the crap out of it with your training!). If you don't give your body rest periods it never gets to recuperate from the hard training and you will have injuries. A friend of mine wouldn't take this advice and ended up with foot surgery to remove bone fragments.

I participate in triathlons. My training plan rotates. Today was a rest day, tomorrow 4 miles and upper body weights, Sat is bike, Sunday swim, Monday bike, Tuesday run, Wed swim and weights, Thursday rest. Every week has one full rest day (except when training for a full Ironman) and my legs get a rest at least every 3rd day.

Next, take it easy. After running too much too soon, the next easiest mistake is going too hard. A good training program will increase mileage slowly and for a beginner not focus on pace. Take it slow and easy.

Last piece of advice is to get fitted properly for shoes. Go to a running store that will analyze your gait (I prefer Roadrunner Sports in my area). This is basically how your foot hits the ground (very simplified). Some shoes help with pronation, others are considered neutral and others are considered minimalist. Your gait will change as you get stronger as a runner. A good analysis will put you in the right shoe for your individual needs. Whenever looking for new shoes (models get discontinued) I always do a long run before going to the store so that my legs are tired and sore. I find I feel things I wouldn't otherwise and have chosen different shoes than I would have if I'd gone in with fresh legs.

Hope that helps.
  • runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The number one thing that jumps out at me is shoes. Make sure your fitted for the correct shoes. Also look up and beginner half program. You need to take days off to, to allow your muscles time to recover. If you don't you take a chance of getting injured and then starting over is no fun!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first half marathon in may. I have been running on the treadmill almost everyday anywhere from 1-4 miles. I've been doing this for only a few weeks. At first I would mostly just walk and now I've been trying to pick up my pace and jog/run a good portion of it. I have been having pretty bad pain which is what I think might just be sore muscles or shin splints and am wondering if this is normal or if I'm overdoing myself. Sometimes it hurts so bad I almost can't run at all and have to completely stop. Other times its just moderate pain while running and I can push through it. Is this pain normal where km just starting to pick up my speed and distance? I'm pretty positive there isn't anything wrong with bones. And also after I run I usually feel fine after a while but I also have a strong pain tolerance. I just don't want to injure myself and don't want to quit if this pain is normal for a pretty new runner.

If you are going to run, I would get off the treadmill and run in the street or you might feel more pain as your legs arent used to running on the surface. A treadmill also does some of the running work for you, so if you had a time in mind for the HM based on your treadmill, that isnt going to work. Sorry, I just dont really get on with treadmills.

Certain amount of aching is normal and will be for the first few times you run a certain distance.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Before I start, let me throw in my usual disclaimer. This is strictly my opinion and based on experience. I am in no way a fitness or running professional. So with that said:

I'll echo what some others have said and you're running way too much. The pain is your body telling you that. The rule of thumb is: if it hurts more than 4 hours after you've finished running, then take the next day off. If it's hurting for a day or so, then you should probably take a week off. There are normal aches and pains associated with running of course but if the pain is sharp then you might have some real problems.

The other thing I'll echo is it could be your shoes. A half marathon is pretty ambitious for your first race, but if that's what you want to do, then you should be properly fitted for a good pair of running shoes that will give you proper support. Otherwise you're going to have more problems than some minor aches and pains.

You should be crosstraining, also. Push your running back to four or five days a week and get some strength training in. Do workouts that are designed for runners ( you can find them all over the internet) to strengthen your hips and core, which is where your major support comes from when you run. You can also strengthen the muscles in your lower leg to help with those pesky pains.

Finally, GET OFF THE TREADMILL! Get out on the street and run!! Besides being boring the treadmill really robs you of the running experience (and it makes it a little easier IMHO). If you feel you have to continue on the treadmill, then ensure the incline is at least at 1.0 to better simulate a road run.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    First, go get fitted for running shoes at a running store. The shoes are more expensive there than buying them at a sporting goods store but it's worth the extra money. I can't stress enough how important the right shoe is.

Second, you need to rest to let the pain go away.

Third, get a training program. I think you are running too much. If you can't run 3 miles straight, you aren't ready to train for the half yet. Follow the couch to 5k program. When you finish that, look at Hal Higdon beginner's half marathon training program and follow that. It starts with 3 mile runs and you train to 10 miles.

Edited to say sorry that I missed that you are up to 4 miles now. Maybe look at the bridge to 10k program and then move on to the half marathon training program. My main point was to get a training program.

All of this works; followed Higdon last year to train for a 10k; prior to the 10k run I was doing cardio 3x's a week and lifting 2; sometimes doublestacking days of cardio and lifting so I could rest 2 days a week at least. If you are walking/running less then 3 miles then let the half marathon folks keep your fee, you aren't ready and may truly regret trying to do it. Slow and steady, best of luck.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    IMHO, you are running too much and pushing yourself closer to an injury. I felt soreness in my legs when I started running, but pain in the legs while running is something different. If you have pain, you need to listen to your body and tone down the training. You might want to try Jeff Galloway Half Marathon training for beginners, which is a run walk technique.
  • littlemac32
    Options
    I get a lot of pain in my shins when running on a treadmill however when I run on the road I get no pain at all. I would definitely give road running a try, it worked for me and I'm up to 10 miles now (my first half marathon is in March - eek)!! Hope it improves for you :)