Help for my Fiance.

Options
So I'm crazy happy that my fiance is on this weightloss/exercise path with me and it makes life much easier!! BUT I need some advice for his journey.

He's roughly 200-205, 5'10, and 29yrs old he is trying to reduce body fat. We did his TDEE = 2754, BMR = 2003 according to http://scoobysworkshop.com/

(We set him at light 1-3 hours a week as he's doing weight training 3 days a week right now but no active daily activities as we have a computer focused job and it's -20 out so outdoor activities are a no go until spring)

He's eating 2203 cals right now (which is a 500 cal deficit from his TDEE)

According to MFP he's supposed to consume 220 grams of protein, but with everything I've read across the boards? He should only need one gram per pound of his goal weight... is that correct? Or should he stop worrying about his goal weight (175) and concentrate on his weight lifting regimen? Also.. what are some great weight loss/muscle building resources for him from a male point on view?

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about the goals MFP sets for macros. Do your own research and set them manually.

I've heard several different ratios for body weight to protein intake. I know it's meant to be LEAN body weight (body weight minus body fat) so you might have to estimate his body fat percentage.

I've always heard it's anywhere from 0.8 grams of protein for every pound of lean body weight to 1.2 grams.

It's hard to know what's right. I typically just aim for 200 grams a day but I typically get 150 grams a day. I'm not an advanced body builder or lifter like many people here so maybe just treat it as a starting point.
  • Sigiler
    Options
    Kris Gethin's 12 week trainer is an excellent resource for tips on cutting fat while building muscle, and he goes through diet, exercises daily for the whole 12 weeks. It's all free on bodybuilding.com. Not trying to sound like a promo guy... but I did lose 65 lbs throughout 2013, and those 12 weeks were very instrumental.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I tend to go somewhere between the two and don't get too anal on trying to reach a specific number. However, more protein = less carbs = less energy in an ideal form.

For men AND women, I always recommend Starting Strength. Strong lifts is similar. Both excellent routines with loads of info and background to read up on if you want to.

MFP just uses a percentage, but usually puts it too low, not too high.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! This is all a great start!! I will have him do some research for what will work best for him.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Great resource here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

220 g of Protein seems a bit excessive.... Just to throw numbers around, say he was 25% body fat, so approx 150 lb LBM.... 0.8 G per lb would give you 120 G protein.... 1 G / lb = 150 g, obviously....
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! This is all a great start!! I will have him do some research for what will work best for him.
    Nikki, that's a great idea. My beau also joined me on MFP and it's amazing to give and receive support. i think it's important for us to do our own research as to what worked for us best individually, though we do have a lot about weight loss to share.
  • donjessop
    donjessop Posts: 186
    Options
    220 g of protein on a 2200 calorie diet means that protein is 40% of his intake. That is quite high for someone who is not trying to be a body builder. There are a number of different diets that recommend that number (40%) but a more modest 25% (138 g) or 30% (165 g) is probably more in line with what he needs.

Having a high protein diet is not bad, it is just more difficult to ensure a high level of quality protein for an extended period unless you are really into supplements.