Debating whether to have a ''CHEAT MEAL'' or not!!!

Options
Just finishing my first week on MFP and have already lost 1kg and a bit. I usually have 1800 calories or fewer and burn on a typical weekday 300-500 calories-I only eat back maybe 100 of them.

Anyway My point is what are your guys opinions on ''One Week Cheat meals''? Like I want a subway or something or some chocolate. My plan was to do this once a week.

I still have heaps left over from exercise and left overs but are you aloud to do that? Eat calories that haven't been used from the past days.

If i have a cheat meal once a week can I still achieve a weight loss of 1kg (2.2 Pounds) per week?

Thank You

Replies

• mariejoy1995
    mariejoy1995 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump! Come ob Guys
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits in your calorie deficit range

If you're really worried just eat it then burn off later
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    When I was in college and in a weight restrictive sport- after I was done racing (about once a week) that night I'd treat myself to an ice cream and then get right back on my diet.
    For me? I don't think I'd do a cheat meal so much as may be a once a week treat that I normally wouldn't have. Like ice cream (in moderation) or some sweets.
    Maybe a soda or something.

We're doing a good hike on Sunday so I told my husband that dinner that night could be something indulgent that we wouldn't have normally- like nachos.

For the most part I don't like the idea of cheat meal or treats... it's too much of a temptation and why have it if the rest of the time you won't let yourself? Better off just leaving it all. But that's me.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I order Pizza Hut once a week. Pizza, and 2 sides. I log it and work my calories for the rest of the week around it. I still average out at the end of the week at my goal of 1600.

You don't have to use your exercise calories on the day you burn them. You should look at your weekly calories and work whatever you want into them.

I also would not consider Subway or chocolate a cheat....I have chocolate every day....and...well Subway would just be lunch.
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can still lose plenty of fat even with 1-3 cheat meals per week.....but it will begin to hurt your willpower.....
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I would argue that you can eat a subway meal or some chocolate and you don't have to label it as a "cheat meal" or think of it as something naughty. It's just food. Eat food you like, track the calories, pay attention to getting enough nutrients, and you'll be fine. I'm not really that familiar with Subway, but I don't see what would be wrong with a sandwich made of bread, meat, salad or whatever. If sodium is something you personally need to watch, then just be aware of that, but otherwise just fit it into your normal intake.

I eat chocolate nearly every day, and did all the time I was losing weight. I counted it in my calories, and it never stopped me losing fat. I make sure I get an excellent balance of nutrients, and I enjoy all the foods I've always enjoyed.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    First of all, stop calling it a "cheat" meal. I hate that word.

Cheating implies you actually gain something through deceitful purposes. Why set out on this journey with that mindset? It's hard enough without that kind of thing.

The only way to succeed in the long term is to fit the foods you love into your way of life. If you want chocolate, then make room for it in your calorie budget, eat it and own that you've eaten it (log it). There is NOTHING WRONG with eating chocolate or subway (or chips or crisps or beer) if it fits your calories.

If it fits your budget, it's not "cheating", it's fine. Only you can decide whether the square or two of chocolate is as satisfying as the equivalent calories in salad or whatever.

If it doesn't fit your budget, then it's not "cheating", it's self-sabotage.

Edit: Can you "bank" calories for later in the week, yes I believe you can. Google "calorie shifting".
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    At first, I started cheat meals on Sunday to keep my sanity. After a few weeks, it started to get old, kind of pointless. I stopped cheat meals and went to a 7 day a week nutrition and exercise schedule. I also stopped eating my exercise calories back and have been steady and consistent ever since.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You can still lose plenty of fat even with 1-3 cheat meals per week.....but it will begin to hurt your willpower.....

^^^ This too, why would you want to sabotage yourself.
  • Monty_P
    Monty_P Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal once a week. Like today, I'm having steak, ribs and chips. And I'm reaaaally looking forward to it!
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't consider anything cheating, I just log it and aim for an overall weekly deficit that is acceptable to my plan and goals.

I am living my life and not letting calorie counts rule my behaviour.
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    ETA This line: Yes! This sounds like a solid plan.

Why are you labeling it a "Cheat Meal"?

Doing so assumes a negative connotation. A common theme you'll see is that people who are successful in their weight loss and health have a healthy relationship with their food.

They eat foods that fit within their daily/weekly/monthly goals. That being said if youve been under all week long, whats iy matter if you go over 1 day? Are you even going over? Or do you just think its a "bad food"?

Go ahead. EAT IT!! Just keep it under control. It takes awhile but you need to figure out what foods you like, can have all the time; and others once in awhile. So you can balance out both being happy and successful.