Did losing weight make your face look older?

Options
How weight loss affects your face seems a bit hit and miss how weight loss affects your facial appearance. On some people it gives them back their natural, youthful contours or others their face seems to lose all fullness and the skin is loose and wrinkles are more apparent. Age seems to be a factor to a degree but then I've seen older women with great facial results too. Is perhaps the speed of weight loss, previous skin damage (sun exposure for example), and poor diet to blame?

I think that poor diet might have something to do with it as from reading online a lot of people who are losing weight don't seem to eat a nutritionally optimum diet and instead rely on a lot of pre-prepared low calorie foods. I am not saying I am any better but I want to be.

Any way if you can please share your thoughts on how weight loss affected your face and what if anything contributed to the results you had?

Replies

• donjessop
    donjessop Posts: 186
    Options
    Well, half my face is covered by a beard, now white with age, but to be honest losing weight is making me look younger. There is less "sag" to the skin and I look 5 - 10 years younger than I did last summer. The quality of the food I am eating has gone up as well as the amount of water I am drinking so I think the combination of the two items, in addition to losing weight, are what has made the difference.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Mine just looks pointier, which is OK. I liked the fullness in my face with my extra weight, but I had a little bit of a chin (and a gut, of course!). I started out pointier and now I'm back to it, but no extra wrinkles or anything, no :)

edit: oh, I look less 'matronly'. I think I look younger because of that effect (but I still have some wrinkles so I don't look really young or anything).
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    LOL...

Yes, definitely.

Me and the crows need to have a serious talk about where they put their feet.
  • eldazzio
    eldazzio Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 in a couple of months and have lost about 15kg so far and I've definitely noticed more wrinkles on my face lately. I figured its because the fat isn't stretching my skin to hide them!
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    You don't get wrinkles in balloons ................. until they start going down.
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24lbs so far, eat pretty healthy and drink lots of water. I have good skin, but I'm 38, so perhaps less elastic than it was! I carry a lot of weight on my face so weight loss affects it quickly and noticeably. I'm looking healthier but I have to admit older. I can live with that.
  • RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Seen it happend before, but luckily with me, made me look younger so I am told...
  • jorralee
    jorralee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It actually made me look younger, alas that is what I hear from people around me. When I was really fat I had a more blank or almost angry look on my face but now I tend to smile more. :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I've always looked young for my age, and had a bit of a baby face before. I definitely think I look a bit older since losing the weight. It may also just be coincidental and I got to the age where a few lines started appearing. I still get asked for ID from time to time, even though I'm 16 years over the legal drinking age here and getting IDed is not so much standard practice as it is elsewhere. So, I think I still look younger than I am, but not as much as I id before losing weight. I probably look younger in other ways though, like how I dress, and increased confidence, so it all balances out.
  • BABYLILAC
    BABYLILAC Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It actually made me look younger, alas that is what I hear from people around me. When I was really fat I had a more blank or almost angry look on my face but now I tend to smile more. :)

:):):):)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Seen it happend before, but luckily with me, made me look younger so I am told...
    Same here.
  • charliex2202
    charliex2202 Posts: 4,281 Member
    Options
    I think for me water and the amount I drink has made a significant improvement on my general skin and look of the face..now my face is smaller I think I look younger too also how quick you lose the weight could also be a factor same with saggy skin on the body etc.... doing it slower everything has more time to adjust...

~Charlie
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Friends tell me I have lost weight from my face and I dont look my age.
    Ive always had a good skin care routine, but I have noticed the condition of my skin has improved due to the extra water and all the fruit and veggies I've been eating and drinking.
  • eldazzio
    eldazzio Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You don't get wrinkles in balloons ................. until they start going down.

LOL!! Perfect explanation! :laugh:
  • Lyla_
    Lyla_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It didn't make my face look older, yet.. I did lose a lot of fat in my face which makes me kinda look like a heroin user -_-
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I've recently wondered if my ideal "adult" goal weight, the one I've had for about 15 years, is really my ideal anymore for this very reason. I might need some face fat!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Potentially weight loss made me look younger, but at the same time I did get older so I suspect it evened out...!
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i am younger but my face has lost so much fat,,more than my body.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    Before, when I was overweight I looked older. People assumed I was 18 when I was only 12! now with the weight loss EVERYONE tells me I look like I'm 14 or 15..and I'm 22:bigsmile:
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Lost 17 lbs and I can confirm. Even with facial hair I look like a grandma now. This wasn't a stage I was ready for