Losing 55lbs by June 22nd

Options
I have an overall goal for weighing 160lbs, maybe less. But I'm looking at in smaller goals. So my half way point for this year is to drop 55lbs. I'm pretty good with doing proper exercise, but I tend to need more help in the nutrition area. Any suggestions from people who've lost weight and kept it off?

Replies

• seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100lb very quickly and kept it off for 7 years. I was lucky to have a great nutritionist, but you can find advice from real pro's online.....I would ignore about 90% of the advice you get on forums and just focus on expert advice....theres much more to it than just counting calories while eating whatever you want. What worked for me was eating small natural whole foods instead of anything boxed
  • mrshudson813
    mrshudson813 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot of weight to lose (100 pounds of more), I think it's pretty realistic to set the goal of losing 55 pounds by June 22. I agree with the post above also. When you eat natural/whole foods without eating much processed junk, your body will have a great response.
  • alicemelinda1
    Options
    Want to send you best wishes! I have a similar goal- 50lb by mid july, So I will also be following this thread! :)
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I first started my weight loss eating things like chicken kievs, pies with potatoes and baked beans (Uni student) but in the summer I made a few changes and started incorporating lean meat such as chicken and fish with vegetables and roast potatoes/baked beans. You can technically eat whatever you want as long as it fits into your calorie deficit but to get more nutritional value slowly change your meals to more healthier options such as lean meat, fruit, vegetables, water consumption also is a good habit to have..
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    A healthy loss is no more than 2 lbs. per week. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. Log your exercise, and eat back your exercise calories. If you're not losing after two weeks, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm on a very similar goal path as you. Good luck to you.
  • joyummymummy
    joyummymummy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    best of luck to u! I have a lot of weight to lose too! id love to lose 100lbs but like u I am setting myself a midway point goal at 50lbs! I want to follow this post for advice too!
  • BrittneyJ2006
    BrittneyJ2006 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100lb very quickly and kept it off for 7 years. I was lucky to have a great nutritionist, but you can find advice from real pro's online.....I would ignore about 90% of the advice you get on forums and just focus on expert advice....theres much more to it than just counting calories while eating whatever you want. What worked for me was eating small natural whole foods instead of anything boxed

Congrats on your success! I'll keep that in mind. I've been trying to avoid processed foods.
  • BrittneyJ2006
    Options
    If you have a lot of weight to lose (100 pounds of more), I think it's pretty realistic to set the goal of losing 55 pounds by June 22. I agree with the post above also. When you eat natural/whole foods without eating much processed junk, your body will have a great response.

Thanks. I indeed have over 100lbs to lose. It's just proving to be much harder to determine which foods aren't processed. I've learned to shop in the produce and deli first. I don't buy packaged deli meats anymore. I instead get the meats cut in the deli. But when it comes to buying chicken and fish, its sooooooo confusing to know which products aren't filled with hormones and junk. Shopping at a Whole Foods Store would probably make things easier.
  • BrittneyJ2006
    Options
    Want to send you best wishes! I have a similar goal- 50lb by mid july, So I will also be following this thread! :)

Good luck to you as well :)
  • BrittneyJ2006
    Options
    I first started my weight loss eating things like chicken kievs, pies with potatoes and baked beans (Uni student) but in the summer I made a few changes and started incorporating lean meat such as chicken and fish with vegetables and roast potatoes/baked beans. You can technically eat whatever you want as long as it fits into your calorie deficit but to get more nutritional value slowly change your meals to more healthier options such as lean meat, fruit, vegetables, water consumption also is a good habit to have..

Thanks for the tips. I've got water consumption covered. I drink a bit over 1 gallon a day. I could probably improve on knowing which lean meats to buy. I've switched to 90-95% lean ground beef.
  • BrittneyJ2006
    Options
    A healthy loss is no more than 2 lbs. per week. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. Log your exercise, and eat back your exercise calories. If you're not losing after two weeks, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

Thanks for the tips. I'll check the website out. I definitely need to get a food scale.
  • BrittneyJ2006
    Options
    I'm on a very similar goal path as you. Good luck to you.

Thanks. Good luck to you as well :)
  • BrittneyJ2006
    Options
    best of luck to u! I have a lot of weight to lose too! id love to lose 100lbs but like u I am setting myself a midway point goal at 50lbs! I want to follow this post for advice too!

You can do it :)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    If you are really tall, have a decent amount of muscle, and 160lbs is actually in the healthy weight range for you, it's going to be tough. The closer we are to a low body fat level, the more difficult it is to shift weight off.

But if you are short, don't have much muscle, and that 160lbs goal is actually still in the overweight category for your height and frame, then 55 pounds is quite realistic if you press yourself hard.

When I was larger I lost that much in far less than 5 months. But then again I am also a man.
  • BrittneyJ2006
    Options
    If you are really tall, have a decent amount of muscle, and 160lbs is actually in the healthy weight range for you, it's going to be tough. The closer we are to a low body fat level, the more difficult it is to shift weight off.

But if you are short, don't have much muscle, and that 160lbs goal is actually still in the overweight category for your height and frame, then 55 pounds is quite realistic if you press yourself hard.

When I was larger I lost that much in far less than 5 months. But then again I am also a man.

I'm 5ft 7in tall. My current weight is 290lbs. According to my height, weight, gender and body frame, a healthy weight is between 128-160lbs. That's according to weight watchers program. I also checked other suggestions as well and that was about the same average. I've always been rather solid, and not flabby. I'm not aiming for a Victoias Secret Body. I'd like to be fit and curvy. I think 160 or 150 would be perfect on me. Thanks for the comment and congrats on your weight loss.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 7in tall. My current weight is 290lbs.

At that weight yes, if you work hard 55lbs in 5 months is a realistic goal.
    According to my height, weight, gender and body frame, a healthy weight is between 128-160lbs. That's according to weight watchers program. I also checked other suggestions as well and that was about the same average. I've always been rather solid, and not flabby. I'm not aiming for a Victoias Secret Body. I'd like to be fit and curvy. I think 160 or 150 would be perfect on me. Thanks for the comment and congrats on your weight loss.

Having a goal is great. It's just that obese people have a tendency to set goal weights that are still quite high without really knowing how much fat loss it takes to get down to their visual goal. So while your goal of 160lbs might be perfect for you, be open to the idea that you might reach it and still realize that there is more to go. It's a very common happening.

And thanks for the congrats!