Did losing weight make your face look older?

Replies

• since i'm mistaken for being 12, i'm hoping not.
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    After forty a woman has to choose between losing her figure or her face. My advice is to keep your face, and stay sitting down.
    Barbara Cartland

Love that quote!
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    no problems with weight loss, actually I don't like having a full-moon-face at all, but when I put on weight all the lines disappeared lololloolloool!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 331 Member
    I did worry about it as the traditional wisdom is that as you get older you have to choose between your backside or your face. After losing 15 kg in the past year I have decided that loosing that you won't look wrinlier if you lose weight if you are keeping up the hydration and sunscreen. Oh and lift weights. It tricks your body into thinking you are still growing so your hormones think they think they have still have work to do rather than growing feeble.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    You don't get wrinkles in balloons .................

^ THIS!
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    I recently had one of those 'fat/want to give up trying' days plus my 44th birthday was fast approaching. But after finding an old photo and making a before and after collage I realised what a big difference I've made. I'm only 32lbs down so far but its taken years off my face. That's now picture is my motivation to keep on pushing.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    I am 62. I remember someone commenting (pre-MFP) that I did not have any wrinkles. I do now, but not bad. I have certainly seen worse on people my age, and younger. I never have been one for being in the sun a lot and never wore much make up. Never was a smoker either. People tell me how good I look all the time now.

Bottom line, it really doesn't matter. I am in better shape, physically, than I have been in decades. I look better and more importantly feel better. That is what this is all about for me.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    How weight loss affects your face seems a bit hit and miss how weight loss affects your facial appearance. On some people it gives them back their natural, youthful contours or others their face seems to lose all fullness and the skin is loose and wrinkles are more apparent. Age seems to be a factor to a degree but then I've seen older women with great facial results too. Is perhaps the speed of weight loss, previous skin damage (sun exposure for example), and poor diet to blame?

I think that poor diet might have something to do with it as from reading online a lot of people who are losing weight don't seem to eat a nutritionally optimum diet and instead rely on a lot of pre-prepared low calorie foods. I am not saying I am any better but I want to be.

Any way if you can please share your thoughts on how weight loss affected your face and what if anything contributed to the results you had?

My before/current pictures are in my profile and I think my face looks a bit younger now. I don't have any more wrinkles apparent (I'm 35yrs old) and I've actually stopped wearing makeup as much, because my adult acne/red blotchy skin has almost totally cleared up (don't really know why this happened, but it corresponded with my weight loss). I also lost almost 60lbs while still eating the foods I enjoy (and continue to do so in maintenance)-this includes fast food at least 3 times a week, 'processed' foods, chips, cookies, deep fried foods etc, as well as veggies, whole grains, etc. Also, when I was actively losing weight I ate things like Lean Cuisines all the time. What I ate didn't affect my face, except the calorie deficit I created during that time did get rid of my double chin :wink:

eta: if you look at my front before picture you can see how shiny my face was-that's how it was all the time. I would actually carry blotting cloths with me because my face was so oily I'd continuously have to wipe it. That's totally gone now :)
  • louisemallas
    louisemallas Posts: 59 Member
    I looked older initially, but it seems to have settled down and everyone is telling me how much younger I look. Having said that, I've always looked after my skin. I also liked to think that I followed a pretty healthy diet too - not too many pre-prepared foods and lots of fruit and veg in their natural state.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    No one's said either way, but people do comment on my dimples when I smile and I have to tell them I don't have any, it's just loose skin.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    i definitely look younger now (37) than i did in my mid 20's, a few wrinkles but compared to some people i went to school with i look great, the thing i was most scared of was my extra chins lol, had at least 2 spare, i thought they would either not go away, or leave saggy jowls, but its all gone back as it should be
  • livehealthier1
    livehealthier1 Posts: 56 Member
    Im 47 I was told I look so much younger now with the weight off. I always had great skin and I do drink plenty of water and lost the weight very slow since Nov 2012.
  • LKL79
    LKL79 Posts: 79 Member
    lexifacecomp.jpg

The is a difference of a year in the pics. Not sure if I look younger, but I look a zillion times better, so I don't care!

*edited because I've tried 5 times, and apparently it doesn't want me to post my pic (yes I know how). I'll add it to my pics so you can check it out on my profile if you want.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    After forty a woman has to choose between losing her figure or her face. My advice is to keep your face, and stay sitting down.
    Barbara Cartland

Love that quote!

I'm one of those "old" women and I still have BOTH my face AND my figure, but that might be because I've always taken good care of both. Sure I've aged, but I think I've aged pretty well. Most of my peers who are overweight look older than me.

I do have a cousin who lost almost a hundred pounds and she is looking a little haggard lately. I think it may depend a great deal on genetics. Perhaps if one were never overweight to begin with, the change in the face wouldn't be as noticeable. Kind of like people ending up with loose skin after losing a lot of weight. Maybe, like loose skin, a lot of the perceived aging softens and evens out over time. I don't know.

I'm no beauty queen, so I guess if I had to choose I'd pick my figure and my health over a plump, youthful face. It's not just the face that signals youth, it's the condition of the body, too. :flowerforyou:

* Edit for typo!
  • mscrystallee
    mscrystallee Posts: 62 Member
    My friend has a saying "You can't put a wrinkle in fat" which many people when they loss weight, it comes from the face quickly and you get more pronounced features and your skin will show wrinkles or aging easier. I looked younger when my face was rounder.
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    I gained 30 pounds rather quickly while on steroids for an autoimmune disease a few years ago and developed the "moon face". Then, I lost the weight just as quickly when I got sick last year - lost the moon face, but there is some looseness in my jaw. I still have 30'ish more pounds to go and I'm hoping my face holds up. I drink a LOT of water, don't smoke, and have no lines/wrinkles so I don't think any more changes will be as dramatic.
  • Everybody tells me that I look younger. I'll just believe them. ;)
  • MickeS
    MickeS Posts: 108 Member
    Yes! My body is 10 year younger and my face 10 years older. At a certain age you have to choose between body or face :angry:
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    I've seen this happen to people; I think the fat was "puffing out" the wrinkles. I also don't think that these people necessarily "look old," as much has they "look their age" after weight loss. I know I have high cheekbones and a, we'll go with, "cherubic face." So far, it doesn't matter my weight, people still think I am in college (sometimes even highschool)...and I'll be 34 next month.

I think weight loss will make you appear younger long-term. Even if you lose weight and your age seems to catch-up to you temporarily, there is nothing that ages a person more than excess weight.
  • Thanks for all the feedback. I guess it seems that a lot of the advice is similer to avoiding loose skin. I Certainly never smoked, or sunbathed. I don't even drink and I have been using sunscreen religiously for over 10 years daily and I live in a northen cloudy climate so I hope this will help. Currently my girlfriends all comment on how young and line free my skin looks and I just tell them it is only fat pushing the wrinkles out!

My face does carry too much fat though, I don't really have a double chin just yet but I can see that in time the extra fat on my face will cause sagging which is ageing. My main issue is glycation as I used to eat a lot of sugar in my diet in fact I just ran on refined carbs and sugar so that will be my work pro-aging issue.

I have heard that about choosing between your face and your body at a certain age and that is why I have set my goal weight at 147lbs which is right at the top end of what is healthy for my height and I plan to lose much slower than I have in the past. I'm also trying to make good nutrition a major priority. I have been reading books regarding the best nutrition for your skin which is luckily also the basis of good nutrition for the rest of your body. I don't eat meat or fish so I have been more careful about getting a decent amout of protein daily and am adding things like green smoothies, hemp oil, miso soup (with seaweed) to my diet. I would rather eat more calories of really excellent nutritious food than lose weight super fast. I am also drinking more water, white and green tea and taking some supplements such as MSM & Vitamin C.

I do think there i something in the weight lifting people are talking about with regards to the release of human growth hormone, I have read that many dermatologists do advise a program of resistance to help with skin all over so there must be something positive to be gained.

I am curious about facial exercise and massage. I do have a home LED device for skin and would not be opposed to getting some noninvasive treatments to try and improve things if I do look a lot older.

On balance my face is currently line free but my body weight is aging. I remember at a party a girl of 21 was shocked when she learned the hostess was the same age (32 at the time) as me as she had thought she was closer to her age. I was taken a back as the hostess was very slim, with salon maintained blonde hair and trendy clothes but her face was really badly prematurely aged, with brown patches and deep wrinkles from sun bathing and smoking. It was then I realised that most people don't pay so much attention ot the quality of skin that I do, I really notice it and to me it is the true indication of a persons youthfulness and beauty but really it is a personal obsession that most people do not share, they are ingeneral looking at the "whole package" so I should probabaly relax about it but in a way it is also a big motivator for me getting with the programme so to speak.