Stepping on the Scale

Options
How many times, when you do weigh yourself on a scale, do you step on and off to make sure the weight is accurate?
For example, i just weighed myself and my weight was 265.
Second time i stepped on, I lost it was 263.
The third, fourth, and fifth times it was 261.9. I just assume that the weight that came up three times in a row is the accurate number

Replies

• mrshudson813
    mrshudson813 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    For me, I just step on it once and let it go. My weight is important to me because I still have another 92 pounds to lose. However, I'm not going to stress over 1-2 pounds. If it makes you comfortable, step on it until it shows the same number 3 times in a row. However, you could take something that you already know the weight to (a weight or something) and put it on the scale to make sure your scale is accurate.
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    better scales springs to mind .....mine are quite consistent however i do weigh twice just to be sure :bigsmile:
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I step on once and call it a day.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Twice and it's the same each time
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my scale is indecisive, like it can't decide between XXX.4 and XXX.6. That's the only time I weigh twice.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I step on it once, except if it's a number I don't believe is possible.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Wake, pee step on scales. Done.

Unless it's an unbelievable (low or high) number and then I weigh again when I step out of the shower to confirm.

For about $30 any EatSmart scale on Amazon is worth the $$ in my opinion. VERY consistent.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    About a million times until the scale gives up and gives me the number I want.

Well, that was old me. The new and improved me will step on and off about 3-5 times and take the lowest number. You can always fluctuate higher. But you're not likely to fluctuate lower, so I believe the smaller number
  • joyummymummy
    joyummymummy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I awlays step on it until I get the same 3times in a row, usually its straight away tho! or sometimes just the first one is higher/lower and the next 3 all the same!
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I do it only once, the first # I get I count. The only time I did it twice was when I realized that I wasn't standing on the scale properly (my scale has certain spots to put your feet) so then I did it again & the # went down by .4ish so I took that # since I knew it was more accurate.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have a scale I trust so only weigh myself once. If I were you, OP, I'd replace the batteries in your scale and if you're still getting those kind of fluctuations, look into a new scale. A 4 pound difference in weights with only seconds between stepping on is not acceptable, IMO.

I'm assuming you have a digital scale, if not, get one. On Amazon, there's an EatSmart scale that's about $25 and very accurate.
  • itsanatalia
    itsanatalia Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do it twice, to verify the number. If both times I get a different number, then I step a third time. Whatever number comes up twice, I count.

I should add that I have the Eat Smart scale, and it doesn't seem that consistent. Maybe I need to replace the batteries? I haven't had it for that long. Thoughts?
  • cmwc123
    cmwc123 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I keep a 2.5lb plate by my scale. Always weight the plate first to make sure scale says 2.5, then I jump on and off twice! I want to know it is accurate! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Most likely none of those readings are 100% accurate. It really doesn't matter...you have to look at all of this as a trend over a much longer period of time than day to day or week to week.
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    better scales springs to mind .....mine are quite consistent however i do weigh twice just to be sure :bigsmile:

Agreed. Is probably just your scale, but I do it twice to make sure.
  • hotasfire36
    hotasfire36 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I get on the scale 2 times
  • arialpark
    Options
    I get on it three times just to be sure. I have a Weight Watchers scale from when my mom was dieting with them and it works fairly well. If I get an odd number that doesn't match up with the others, I weigh a few more times to get at least one matching number and go with that. :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,580 Member
    Options
    NOW that i'm under my goal weight and i'm not in the trying to loose mode, I just weigh once. when I was working on loosing weight, it was twice, once before I worked out and once after.
  • Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220
    Options
    Three times, even move it around a little each time.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Once, unless it is a number I wasn't expecting (high or low). I will step on once or twice more just to make sure I read it correctly.

I do periodically throw a dumbbell on it to make sure it is accurate.