Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Running Shoes for the overweight

I've been on tons of sites that talk about the importance of running shoes if you start a running program. I was thinking of giving Couch 2 5K a shot. I was also thinking it would be smart to pick up some new shoes. I am about 100 pounds overweight. I am wondering which shoes would be my best bet for running (mostly street/sidewalk) sometimes and walking sometimes. We don't really have any specialty shoe places to go and get fitted around here. The sports stores here (****'s and Dunham's) have workers who do not seem to be knowledgeable on this subject. I figured I'd have more luck here from those who are overweight and running. Any advice on best running shoes for overweight runners/walkers?

Replies

• jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Probably the first thing you need to figure out is whether you're going to want a neutral, support, or stability shoe. Since you don't have a local running shoe shop, check out this link:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/take-wet-test-learn-your-foot-type

Once you figure that out, it's mostly going to come down to which shoe brand feels most natural on your foot. Best bet there is to go to whatever shoe store you do have -- even if they don't have the exact model you might end up with -- and try a few on.

Personally, I like Brooks. I tried on three or four brands, and the Brooks felt the most "right" on my feet.

Brooks' support shoes, which is what I wear, are the Adrenaline and the Trance. The Adrenaline is a pretty popular model, the Trance has more cushion... which is nice when you're lugging more weight around. :)
  • jasonheyd
    Two other things...

(1) When you walk, and especially when you run, your feet are going to swell up at least a little bit... Make sure the shoes aren't too snug when you try them on. You don't want 'em all loose and floppy, obviously, and you can gain a little extra room with some fancy lacing techniques, but keep it in mind.

(2) For the love of all that's holy, don't try to run in cotton socks. Buy some sort of running sock (I love Thorlo's with a little extra padding). Cotton socks are the fastest way to chafing, blisters, and misery. :)
  • Sloth_TurtleGirl
    Sloth_TurtleGirl Posts: 79 Member
    Thanks! This was a very helpful response! Where do you buy Brooks from?
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    +1 for the Brooks Adrenaline GTS's.

I started running at 282 lbs and they've worked great for me. I just bought a second pair the other day.

I went to a running shop and was fitted. They put me in a half size larger than I normally wear. So you might start with adding a half-size.

And for me, they felt a bit different than my normal "whatever is cheap and looks cool" shoes for the first run or two. So, it took a couple weeks for me to be totally used to them.

You can get them from http://www.brooksrunning.com/ They have a local store locator on their site too - D*icks seems to sell them in my area.

These are not cheap - about $110 - but well worth it.

(Agreeing on the socks too - you don't need $15/pair socks, but some nice non-cotton polyester/spandex blend socks do make it all more comfortable too - I get mine from Target for $12/6 pack)
  • jasonheyd
    Thanks! This was a very helpful response! Where do you buy Brooks from?

I use local running shop, but Zappos.com sells them for about the same price. I'd think that D i c k s would have them too.
  • Running its not good for overweight people I damaged my knees so badly.
    Swimming, Cycling or row machine you can start running when you lose a bit weight.
    Do 45 min to an hour a day plus don't eat sugars and to much crabs and in 6 moths I guarantee you will be like princess xD
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Running its not good for overweight people I damaged my knees so badly.
    Swimming, Cycling or row machine you can start running when you lose a bit weight.
    Do 45 min to an hour a day plus don't eat sugars and to much crabs and in 6 moths I guarantee you will be like princess xD

LOL

No.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    First, find a running store and get fitted, yanno. That's basic. However, my uneducated opinion would say to stay away from the Adrenalines as they are a lighter-weight trainer and go with something like the Brooks Beast. It's like wearing a Cadillac on your feet. Also, the Brooks Transcend comes out within the next 2 weeks, and they are Brooks' attempt at a "comfort" shoe, much like the Hoka.
  • First, find a running store and get fitted, yanno. That's basic. However, my uneducated opinion would say to stay away from the Adrenalines as they are a lighter-weight trainer and go with something like the Brooks Beast. It's like wearing a Cadillac on your feet. Also, the Brooks Transcend comes out within the next 2 weeks, and they are Brooks' attempt at a "comfort" shoe, much like the Hoka.

+1. You need to find a running store and have them look at your gait/running style etc. There is no one size fits all option when it comes to running.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Running its not good for overweight people I damaged my knees so badly.

LOL

No.

Hahahahaha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: TRUTH!

I like that she mistyped carbs to say crabs. I am still giggling from that. Crab is a splurge in my life-those jokers arent cheap! Who can afford to eat too many of them??!!!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    1. I totally agree about good running socks. They are worth the ridiculous prices I pay for them (although if you're in the US they may be less over priced).

2. In total disagreement to many of the other posts - I first tried running about 5 years back when I was around 15 kg over weight. Totally destroyed my knees. I don't remember exactly what type of shoes I had but they came from a sports store, weren't cheap and had plenty of padding. Two years ago I tried again, by this time I was 25 kg overweight. This time I wore no shoes at all. It really worked for me... well until it got cold anyway (I was living in Tokyo so don't imagine me running around some lovely wilderness). I moved to minimalist shoes (mine are Merrills) and I love them. I lost a load of weight, did lots of kms and almost 2 years later am still wearing that same pair of shoes.

I'm not saying that will definitely work for you but do consider it as an option. I'm definitely not the only one that found barefoot/minimalist shoes were far better than more padded ones.
  • sunnyskies1780
    sunnyskies1780 Posts: 24 Member
    I don't have much to add here. You need to be fitted, so do a search and find a local store that does them. Everyone's feet, gait and needs are different.

Good shoes and good form are what will keep you from injury, so invest in learning about both.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    First, find a running store and get fitted, yanno. That's basic. However, my uneducated opinion would say to stay away from the Adrenalines as they are a lighter-weight trainer and go with something like the Brooks Beast. It's like wearing a Cadillac on your feet. Also, the Brooks Transcend comes out within the next 2 weeks, and they are Brooks' attempt at a "comfort" shoe, much like the Hoka.

+1. You need to find a running store and have them look at your gait/running style etc. There is no one size fits all option when it comes to running.

+2 Brooks is a great brand, and there are others just as good...but New Balance works best for me. It's so very YMMV and worth a drive and more $ the first time, to get that expert help.

And btw, lots of overweight folks run very successfully. Others do find their knees to be a limiting factor. I can't do too much of my mileage jogging when I'm above 200, without severe knee pain. Some 300+ lb runners are literally running laps around my racewalking! Unfair, but I'll get there.

As long as you listen to your body, it's all good! And of course, eat your crabs. With plenty of melted butter. Low-crab diets just don't work :bigsmile:
  • hmjohnson25
    hmjohnson25 Posts: 100 Member
    I started running at about 100 lbs overweight and did the C25K program, too. I went to a running store and got fitted, but if you don't have that option, you can do some research online. I was told to get motion control shoes, which I've since read tend to be better for larger runners, and I when I tried on a pair of Brooks Ariels, that was the shoe for me. I've gone through a couple of pairs of those and picked up some New Balance motion control shoes.

Do some research and try on a bunch of shoes until you find what feels good to you. Good luck!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Get good shoes and learn good form. There are websites that discuss running form or while you're at a running shoe store, ask what groups they have so you get a set of eyes on you as you go. It can be hard to notice little things like trying to stride too far on your own, but it's fairly evident to somebody else watching you run ... and simple things like overstriding lead to injury.

Start slow, even if that means alternating slow and brisk walking then building to a walk/run program. After you build to a full run program, slowly add time and distance to it .... the 10% rule exists for a reason. Expectation management is important. Set your goals, find a training plan to reach them, and put in the effort to improve yourself.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Get fitting and Brooks does make good shoes but try on other brands too. You might find another brand fits your foot a lot better.

Some people like minimal shoes (or none) and some people love a lot of padding. I found that I had less knee pain with a lighter less padded shoe and I started running at 270 lbs. Find what feels good and what works for you.