Sore muscles...exercise or not?

Options
I did a kettlebell workout after a long break from it the day before yesterday and my leg muscles , particularly my hamstrings, are very sore. I rested yesterday but am trying to decide whether to go for a run today or not. I really should, but is it the right or wrong thing to do? Thoughts?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Warm up and go
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hii,

I know how you feel, I started heavy lifting after a long time two days ago and was very sore...thought of skipping my todays workout, but after pushing myself for warm up, I completed my session today and feel awesome!! Have a great run!!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I tend to find that a run helps the stiffness ease. if I'm sore after a lifting session I'll go for a slower paced, longer run rather than doing a threshold run or Fartleks.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Hamstrings don't do much during running (which is why you have to work them separately to avoid IT band issues), so if nothing else hurts, NBD.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Warm up and go

Yes.

Ibuprofen and a foam roller are wonderful things, as well.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    For me, the soreness subsides after a couple minutes of running. I'd say go ahead and lace up
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Arrgh...thanks guys. Guess I'm off out for a run shortly then ( in the rain :( ) !
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    If you run in the rain, you want to be extra careful. The hammies do engage when you lose your footing.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you run in the rain, you want to be extra careful. The hammies do engage when you lose your footing.

Yes and if you actually fall down you may feel it in the glutes.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Work through DOMS, but rest injuries.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    YES of course as long as they're just sore. I've been sore all week but I switched up my exercises so I have done the 30 day shred, hot pilates, hot yoga and the elliptical. So maybe try a different exercise today but still do it!
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you can work out in good form. If sore legs will make you limp or affect your gait when you run, then maybe not. If it's a genuine injury, then no. If it's just DOMS then working out might actually help a bit.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hamstrings don't do much during running (which is why you have to work them separately to avoid IT band issues), so if nothing else hurts, NBD.

Maybe you mean during a slow jog they're not used much but in so that's not really true, every step you take your hamstrings are pushing you forward/pushing the ground away. It should be fairly basic that all legs muscles are involved in running to some extent.

OP warm up properly, walk/jog/run when appropriate and don't attempt to go close to your top speed and you should be fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you're not injured...you're just sore. I'm pretty much always a little bit sore...if I waited until I had no soreness, I'd never workout. As long as you're not doing resistance training with the same muscle group, you are fine...you are fine to do your run, it would probably not be fine to do squats or something.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Decent stretches before/after you exercise and you're really suffering take ibuprophen AFTER you're done. I find when I exercise my body adjusts better to being stiff and sore. x
  • dpwaltman03
    dpwaltman03 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    go do it... you will be glad you did
  • Givemewings
    Options
    I did it! Thanks everyone :)
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I did it! Thanks everyone :)

Thumbs up!!!

Wait until the stiffness goes away before doing your next KBell workout (typical training effect stuff)...
  • ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I did a kettlebell workout after a long break from it the day before yesterday and my leg muscles , particularly my hamstrings, are very sore. I rested yesterday but am trying to decide whether to go for a run today or not. I really should, but is it the right or wrong thing to do? Thoughts?

Actually running will help flush out the toxins in your muscles and you'll feel better afterward.
  • Givemewings
    Options
    Thanks!