T25 and long distance running

Options
Hello fellow runners,

I just ordered the T25 program but I wonder how this will impact my training runs after my 25 min session. I mostly run this time of year and add cycling when the snow and cold ends. But I haven't done core or strength training since I've started running 4 years ago. Anyone unfit like myself out there have any thoughts on this. Just wondering how much this will impact my running. I'm currently training to run a 50 mile trail race in May. Thanks.

Replies

• lrichelle
    lrichelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm just finishing week three of T25 and also distance running (not training for a 50 miler, but I have two marathons this spring). Usually early in the week I have no problem doing T25 and then running. By Thursday though, my legs are pretty tired. I've made the choice to prioritize running over T25 if I need to pick one over the other. For example, my long runs are on Saturdays, so I take Friday as a rest day or I'll do the Ab workout because I feel better on long runs if I have rested legs. Sometimes I will follow the modifier on some of the jumping jack type moves because I don't want to risk an ankle injury. I think you can do it, but you may need to modify the T25 schedule to keep on track with your running. Good luck with your 50 miler!!
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Core strength will improve your running.
  • jas16
    jas16 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am not doing long distance running, but I am running (15-20 miles per week). I was doing it with P90x and then I also added T25 for the last month as I was trying to get hit a goal before my vacation that starts today. Last night was the first night I did running only instead of T25 or P90 first then running. I ran 4 miles at 8.3 mph and 2% incline and it felt easy because I had been doing that after the other workout (T25 or P90). Point is that it will help you. The runs will be tough but stick them out and it will pay come race day.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I haven't done T25 yet but I've watched all the videos. Last year I was doing P90X while running and I needed to cut the P90X to just 3 workouts a week. I did the strength routines only and skipped the plyo, yoga, etc. Trying to do it all while running would have been too much and I think T25 would be the same. Just don't do anything that's high-impact on your legs the day of / after a hard run. You can combine an upper-body workout the same day as a run.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the alpha phase of T25 so there hasn't been any weight added yet- it's all been cardio. Definitely hard to run on the same days as lower focus.

Because both running and T25 are heavy cardio you may be better pairing your running with something strength-based like P90X
  • cipote67
    cipote67 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies. Seems like the thing to do is to be flexible with the T25 and not look it at as a fail to follow the program. I agree core will help and if my goal is to train for the race, then I should stay on schedule with it and fit in the T25 as appropriate. I assumed I wouldn't be doing anything else on my two long run days but then the other 5 would be the T25 which would not give me a day of rest.