Oatmeal... and now I'm hungry.

amcmillan730
amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Ok. I love love love oatmeal for breakfast. Bu in about 2 hours after I eat it... I'm hungry. Any body else?

I used to always eat the flavored instant packets... and one was never enough... so i tried 2. No change.

Then lately I've gotten the plain cooked oat meal at work... and tried to add walnuts and raisins with a little brown sugar. I still get hungry. I feel crazy and like I'm the only person!! hahaha.

I need help with breakfast foods I guess. But anything needs to be quick. A lot of times I'll eat on my drive to work, or pack my breakfast and eat it once I get to work.

Help!!! :)

Replies

• CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    I just switched to the steel cut oats. i have tried two brands now and they are pretty much the same. They are a bit healthier and I find them to be much more filling. The downside is that they take ~20 minutes to cook. I usually put them on the stove and then go grab a shower and get ready. They don't need to be tended too much so they are usually ready when I am. You might want to give it a try.

--Carter
  • RyanEli
    RyanEli Posts: 20 Member
    I've noticed that oatmeal, and carbs in general, don't keep me satisfied for long. Maybe you could have some eggs along with it for some protein and fat to help control your appetite. Or you can try fruit, as the fiber will generally help you feel full.
  • Try drinking a fruit smoothie in the morning also and remember to drink water. This should get you to your next snack or meal...
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    I'm like that too. I eat breakfast at 6:30. Sometimes I engross myself in work, but like today, where I had 2 eggos w/ PB and a banana, I was hungry again at 9:30. So I just had a small apple. Yesterday I had cereal and a banana and I was good till noon. It depends on your metabolism that day, is what I'm thinking. Listen to your body, and give it full fiber filled breakfasts! :)
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    nothing wrong with adding an apple, orange, or a fruit after your oatmeal... if you're still hungry, fill the void with healthy, natural choices
  • amcmillan730
    Thanks guys!!
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    You know what would help? I think you need some protein in your breakfast, to go WITH your oatmeal. Oatmeal has fiber and carbs, raisins fiber and carbs, brown sugar is just carbs, and the nuts are the only thing that have protein and fat. And they don't have that much, unless you eat way too many of them.

If you could scale back the carbs in the oatmeal by eliminating the brown sugar and perhaps some or all of the raisins, you could add some protein for the same calories. Protein keeps your blood sugar from dipping, and this can help you feel full. You could have some cheese, or yogurt, or skim milk. Or even better, a hard-boiled egg--about the same number of calories, and with a bigger protein punch.

On days when I'm really pressed for time, I've even been known to grab an open-faced sandwich for breakfast--heavy on lean protein and light on carbs.
  • amcmillan730
    I actually had a little bit of cut up fruit this morning too.... I need to make sure I have more protein I'm thinking. I love egg whites... sometimes I just run out of time. :( Anybody have any fun quick egg white ideas?
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    I eat 1/2 a cup of plain oatmeal with 1 tbsp sugar-free syrup, cinnamon, and cut up half a banana into it. I don't eat it for breakfast though. It's a mid-morning snack for me. There is nothing wrong with being hungry 2 hours after breakfast. In fact, eating 2-3 hours is great because it keeps your metabolism going. I eat every 2-3 hours as well. I will have a regular breakfast, oatmeal, lunch, snack, dinner.
  • I was having the same issue so I stocked up on fruit and I have it with my oatmeal.. If I get hungry before lunch I just snack on a handful of grapes or grab an apple. Pretty much my morning snacks are fruit and my evening snacks are veggies and I always add some fruit or veg to each meal. It helps me keep somthing in the tummy so when meal time comes around Im not starving..
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Eat your oatmeal, with a serving of fruits, should fill you up a bit......
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    if you want quick, you can buy 'ALL WHITES' in a carton and throw in vegetables and seasoning and make a quick omelette in minutes... prepare the vegetables ahead of time... I usually cut up a bunch of bell peppers and keep them in my crisper and get a handful out when i make an omelette... i use Mrs Dash Chipotle seasoning for that zip!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    The little packets are filled with extra sugars, and that causes you to be more hungry sooner than you probably should be.

If you make your own oatmeal and add some protein powder, this flavors it without adding sugar.

This morning I had oats mixed with vanilla protein powder (fat free, cholesterol free, and sugar free...this brand uses stevia instead of fat or sugar), strawberries, and cinnamon cooked in almond milk, and it was very satisfying. I think it tastes better than those little packets, anyway. :wink:
  • I always eat egg whites in the morning. Trader joes brand is my favorite. I just give the pan a little shot of Pam then poor in the egg whites and add some hot sauce and seasoned salt. I make some whole wheat toast then eat it with the egg on top like a open face sandwich. Two pieces of bread, and enough egg whites to cover it all is still only about 400 calories, just leave out the butter.
  • I've noticed that oatmeal, and carbs in general, don't keep me satisfied for long. Maybe you could have some eggs along with it for some protein and fat to help control your appetite. Or you can try fruit, as the fiber will generally help you feel full.

Thats what I have for breakfast , bowl oatmeal and 3 egg whits with 1 whole egg scrabbled, and tall glass of water ! and Im good till lunch. But if your hungry have a little snack, some carrots, celery something like that.
  • That use to happen to me too....TRY it RAW:heart: Yes RAW I do add a little teaspoon of sugar but it's so yummy & filling. Then have the banana for snack between Breakfast & Lunch instead.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    If you like hard boiled eggs you can make a few in your fridge and take one with you. If you're hungry 20 minutes after you eat breakfast have a snack of an egg then. There's no reason you have to eat it with your oatmeal in the morning. Even 20 minutes later if it keeps you full until your midmorning snack it might help you stretch your cals out longer. Eaten with a full glass of water it should be enough to tide you over. You can probably have 2 or 3 too if you don't eat the yellow, which is gross when boiled anyway :)
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    I have a 1/4 cup of quick cook steel oats or a 1/2 cup of quick cook oats with a little bit of brown sugar. Then I have 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. I usually eat it at about 6:30 and I am unusually full (I'm not just saying that) for at least 3 hours. Protein + fiber is what keeps you full - not just one or the other.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    By adding protein to your carbs you slow down the digestion process. I sometimes add a fruit yoghurt to my porridge along with some flaked almonds. I've heard (on here) some people add peanut butter, or a protein powder. All of these things will keep you fuller for longer.
  • I mix 1tbs of peanut butter to my lower sugar maple/brown sugar oatmeal & it really makes a difference on keeping me full longer & its yummy!
This discussion has been closed.