Have you ever suspected the nutrition info of fibbing?

Options
Slacker16
Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
Lying is such an ugly word, isn't it...

Yesterday, I went grocery shopping and bought a pack of cheap, store-brand turkey hot dogs for all my meat needs (I'm classy like that).

The label claims that each hot dog has 6g of fat, 1g carbs and 11g protein for a total of 100 cals. I'm suspicious because most hot dog brands claim 4-6g of protein for sausages of that size. In fact, a quick browse through MFP's database revealed literally no other brand that claims more than 8g of protein per sausage (and only one that claimed 8).

So, do you think I'm paranoid or...

Replies

• Remedy026
    Options
    I'm the exact same way, but it still doesn't really seem to stop me.
    It annoys me when I see two packages of white potatoes; one group being very small potatoes, and the other being the size of a newborn baby. Both 110 calories, apparently. There is no way they can be the same nutritionally when the bigger potatoes are three times the size of the smaller ones. Ah well, I guess. I usually end up eating it anyway and just stop when I'm full.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    But if they fib, then I can't eat as many 0 calorie Wegmans dill spears as I want without worrying about it... darn it!

Note: I know the FDA allows listing <5 calories as 0, and never thought that they were actually 0 calories...
  • MadTownD
    MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    But if they fib, then I can't eat as many 0 calorie Wegmans dill spears as I want without worrying about it... darn it!

Note: I know the FDA allows listing <5 calories as 0, and never thought that they were actually 0 calories...

LOL... okay, I'm just replying because I do the same thing with pickles. :smile:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Lying is such an ugly word, isn't it...

Yesterday, I went grocery shopping and bought a pack of cheap, store-brand turkey hot dogs for all my meat needs (I'm classy like that).

The label claims that each hot dog has 6g of fat, 1g carbs and 11g protein for a total of 100 cals. I'm suspicious because most hot dog brands claim 4-6g of protein for sausages of that size. In fact, a quick browse through MFP's database revealed literally no other brand that claims more than 8g of protein per sausage (and only one that claimed 8).

So, do you think I'm paranoid or...

Do the math. 1g carbs=4 calories. 11g protein =44 calories. 6g of fat = 54 calories. Total 102 calories. Seems pretty legit.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It annoys me when I see two packages of white potatoes; one group being very small potatoes, and the other being the size of a newborn baby. Both 110 calories, apparently. There is no way they can be the same nutritionally when the bigger potatoes are three times the size of the smaller ones. Ah well, I guess. I usually end up eating it anyway and just stop when I'm full.

That's why I weigh on a food scale. I've yet to eat a baked potato that was actually 110 calories. It seems to be based on some mythical dwarf potato variety that never makes it to my grocery store.

Search the database for "raw russet potato" then use the drop down to select 100 grams as the serving size. Then if your potato is 237 grams, you'd put in 2.37 servings.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

That's why I weigh on a food scale. I've yet to eat a baked potato that was actually 110 calories. It seems to be based on some mythical dwarf potato variety that never makes it to my grocery store.

Search the database for "raw russet potato" then use the drop down to select 100 grams as the serving size. Then if your potato is 237 grams, you'd put in 2.37 servings.

That's how I deal with potatoes.

When it comes to hot dogs, the difference between 8 grams of protein and 11 grams of protein doesn't bother me so much, unless I eat all 8-10 of them.
  • KerponTryingM
    KerponTryingM Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Years ago I used to eat a lot of "Big Daddy" ice cream. It was a really big tub, a whole pint for only 100 calories! My Weight Watchers friends and I were hooked. Turned out that there was a 'mistake" according to the company and the serving size was 1/2 a cup, not 2 cups and there were 4 servings in the pint not 1.

Company quickly were out if business when the "error" was discovered.

This it one instance when the info was incorrect and I bet there are tons more.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

That's how I deal with potatoes.

When it comes to hot dogs, the difference between 8 grams of protein and 11 grams of protein doesn't bother me so much, unless I eat all 8-10 of them.

Um. if there aren't meant to be eaten all at once why do they not come packaged separately? Obviously it's 8-10 to a serving.
  • KyaniBody
    Options
    In the great U S of A you have to be within 20% of what you claim.... 20% is a huge variable and needs to be addressed ...
  • jessicameadsstephens
    Options
    I have found the issue of sometimes when I scan an items barcode the item will match but shows a higher calorie count then the package...that makes me suspicious but what do you do??