Heart Monitors

Options
Newbie here! and I guess to really get serious I need to get a heart monitor so my calories burned are as accurate as can be--- and I'm looking for suggestions! Not really wanting to spend $100 on this-- so any accurate/reasonably priced heart monitors out there less than $100-- send me your recommendations!

Thanks!!

Replies

• RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar HRM for about $40 at Target when I got mine...that was about 2-3 years ago. You can spend more money for a monitor that does more stuff. I know some people whose monitors tell them how many calories they burned but mine doesn't. Just keeps track of my heart rate for the duration of my workout. Notes my lowest and highest HR during and give me an average for the duration. I take that average and plug it into a website that calculates calories burned based on HR. I hope my thinking was/is logical on this one....

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

That's the site I use. You just put in the info and it tells you an estimate of how many calories you burned. That's what I used to put into MFP manually and I was loosing weight so it must be more or less accurate.

So no need to spend $100 unless you really want to. =D
  • wvtracyann
    wvtracyann Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have a polar f7 got it off of Ebay for $70 and I just got my mom a polar f6 off there for $20. I would really stick to Polar brand and yes they are a big help in counting calories. I also have a Fitbit Force that I use in conjunction with it. I have lost almost 15 pounds in 90 days but that is with good eating also.
  • micervera
    micervera Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Go on ebay. You will find some decent ones there that will do what you need and not expensive. That's where I got mine from.
  • jrcollins83
    jrcollins83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you want to get serious I would look at something that tracks your activity level, not just your heart rate. The extra$100 or so will be worth the cost, because you'll stay motivated longer. Which will save you from eating out as much, which is savings right!!!! :happy:

The technology today is pretty amazing and suprisingly accurate. There are several options to choose from that you wear all day that measure skin temp, sweat, sleep patterns, etc. that can accurately tell you exactly how many calories you're buring during your workout.

The only problem is that most of them don't track heart rate at the same time. But there are two that do...

The only two I know of that do everything are the "Basis Watch" and the "Amiigo band"... Both are pretty pricey. Amiigo hasn't released their product, but you can pre-order it at a discount. I'm super excited for it!