Sushi

Options
Hi, I'm craving sushi but I know because of the rice they are high in calories....which one contains less calories?

Thank you:smile:

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sushi's really not as bad as people make it out to be. Most rolls (that's 5-6 pieces) are around 250-300 calories, the ones with only veg are even less. Some are more but that's due to containing tempura (fried), sauces made with cream cheese or mayo and/or containing more fatty fish like eel (unagi).

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm craving sushi but I know because of the rice they are high in calories....which one contains less calories?

Rice doesn't have a ton of calories ~65 cals per 100g cooked or so
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Sushi is not high in calories if it is made traditionally. It is a fairly small amount of rice! If you want to omit the rice you can order sashimi :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Yep, for low calories go for just fish and/or veg (not avocado) and/or egg and rice. Leave out the sauces, cream cheese, tempura/fried anything, etc.

Or, do chirashi and eat less rice :smile:

ETA - sashimi changed to chirashi (oops)
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Two of my favorites are Spicy Tuna, and Yellow Tail. Rolls are not sushi, they're more like desert at a sushi place, or what people who don't actually eat sushi tend to get.

Rigger
  • MichkaMeShell
    MichkaMeShell Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say that staying away from cream based sauces and fried/tempura anything. I had a vegetarian roll yesterday with a bowl of miso soup (pretty much just tasty broth) for right around 320 calories. If I had to say it, though, the majority of the calories came from the rice and bits of avocado. Cucumber and carrots don't pack in a whole lot, haha.
  • Razz_Baby
    Razz_Baby Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    There are also roles that use the soy paper, rice paper, and cucumber as the wrap. I don't know what the nutritional value would be but surely it can't be that much!

And if it is, don't tell me! ^_^
  • Kamacoma
    Options
    I eat it all the time for lunch. I have a cup of miso soup (about 50 calories), a salmon and avocado roll (about 250-300 calories according to MFP), and 2 pieces of albacore sushi (around 115 calories). You can substitute brown rice for white rice, but I don't because I like to keep a few indulgences. Makes dieting a bit less painful. A rainbow roll, on the other hand, is about 400+ calories, but I think that's because it has imitation crab filling. I try to avoid anything with sauces, anything fried, and imitation crab. Keep it simple and you should be fine.
  • Kamacoma
    Options
    The cucumber wrapped rolls are, on average, under 200 calories. :)
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Seaweed, a few tablespoons of vinegared rice, fresh cut veggies and fresh unadulterated fish high in omega-3. And you're fussing over double-digit calories in the rice? Relax, enjoy a roll. The only way to go wrong with sushi is if you get an Americanized one that has a gallon of spicy mayo soaking it (A.K.A. the "Shaggy Dog" roll).

Now go eat!!
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love nigiri - you get two pieces of good quality fish over rice with every order (better quality than what they put in rolls). I typically get a few orders of nigiri, some edamame, soup, and salad, and am in heaven! Sashimi is also a good bet because it doesn't come with rice usually.
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I had All You Can Eat Sushi last night at a local restaurant and I ate a lot. I found a website called faqsushi.com that estimated various types of fish and rolls. I used that as a base but I have no idea how close I was to the final count. I am usually feeling full after eating around 1200-1500 calories for my dinner meal. I REALLY pigged out last night, so I just estimated that I ate over 1500 calories for my meal, including the kimchi, 1/2 egg roll, and salad appetizers.

I hope this helps!!!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

My favorite is sashimi, which is practically pure protein depending on the type of fish. Simple items like nigiri are usually easy to calculate the calories on as well. Where it gets tricky is when you're logging a roll that includes rice, tempura flakes, fish, mayo, some have cream cheese... honestly, you just need to guestimate the calories if you go that route. I usually stick with a sashimi plate and perhaps a few appetizers like edamame and calamari salad, so it's pretty simple to log it. Enjoy! :smile:
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I do All You Can Eat sushi about twice a month. For that day I usually don't eat anything and save all my calories for dinner. And I can easily put away 1500 calories. That being said, you can eat a lot of sushi and be relitivly low calorie. Avoid rolls and go straight for the nigiri. The average piece of nigiri is usually 40-50 calories. If you must have rolls, go for the ones without avacodo or fried anything and don't touch anything with that spicy mayo sauce on it. Eel sauce is okay if you must.

ETA: Last week I had AYCE sushi and I had 34 pieces of nigiri and it was 1300 or 1400 calories. If you want a break down of what and how many calories each came out to, feel free to check my diary for last Saturday the 18th.
  • pjowkar
    pjowkar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Back when I ate meat (including fish), I always loved chili tuna rolls or rolls that included veggies. Usually a friend and I would get one roll each plus split another one. Personally, now that I've tried veggie versions, I can't believe how good some are. Like other people mentioned, avoid cream-based ones or tempora.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is YUM! Oh, and that I eat it about once a week. I'm losing weight rather steadily. I'm down 20 lbs. *shrug* My fave is the Philly. Enjoy!
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Sushi is not fattening. Sushi has no unhealthy fats and no cholesterol in it. The nori sheets used in sushi contains variable minerals and antioxidants for you. I'd avoid the rolls with cream cheese and spicy mayo. The total fat depends on what type of sushi.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Sushi is not fattening. Sushi has no unhealthy fats and no cholesterol in it. The nori sheets used in sushi contains variable minerals and antioxidants for you. I'd avoid the rolls with cream cheese and spicy mayo. The total fat depends on what type of sushi.

Anything can be fattening if you eat too much of it. :wink:
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    yes.

sashimi. it's the raw fish without the rice.

but if you must have some maki get one without fried anything, and without any sauces (eel sauce, creamy sauces, etc.)
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Sashimi is a great option if you're a more advanced sushi consumer. I love sashimi! Or sit at the bar and ask the chef if he can make you something without rice. The place I go to makes me rolls with cucumber wraps. So delicious! Now I want sashimi!