PRETZELS WHY???

Options
jerber160
jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
WHY DO THEY MAKE ME CRAVE MORE??? WHAT ARE GOOD SNACKS THAT DON'T TURN ME INTO A HOOVER VACUUM CLEANER EATING EVERYTHING IN SIGHT?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Pretzels, although delicious, have really no nutritional value. You need some protein, fiber, even some fat to get more of that satisfied feeling.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I eat fat-free pretzels with a wedge or two of Laughing Cow. It's delicious, you get a little more, and it takes a while to eat them so you feel pretty satisfied mentally.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I always thought because its salty.. just like fries and chips.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    fruits?
    Veggies?
    Cheese sticks?
    jerky?
    protein pudding?
    eggs?
    Tuna salad?
    Hummus?
    Homemade chips?
    Smoothie?
    homemade quesadilla?
    turkey roll ups?
    PB on whatever you want?
    Cottage cheese?
    Yogurt?

just snack suggestions..
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Make it a habit if your gonna eat a pretzel always have it with protein so you feel fuller longer and will not go crazy with just pretzels.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Pretzels, although delicious, have really no nutritional value. You need some protein, fiber, even some fat to get more of that satisfied feeling.

Pretzels have fiber. And carbs. So, yes, there is some nutritional value there, about as much as bread.

But, they are crunchy and salty and don't do much to fill you up. For those of us who love crunchy and salty, they're a problem and should never be eaten when you're actually hungry :smile:

Try to eat them AFTER you've had a more filling meal. Take out how many you intend to eat and put the rest of the box away.

You can also stretch them out by crushing them - leave chunks, don't turn them into powder - and sprinkling over ice cream, peanut butter, chocolate. You can use them as a crust on pork or chicken and saute. You get the essence of pretzel and so much more.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid I would eat the entire giant bag of pretzel sticks. There was just something about them.

Try Nut Thins as a healthy snack chip. They're made of crushed almonds and if you like dips and salsas, they are sturdy enough to hold up. Blue Diamond makes them and they come in various flavors. Little nutty sweetness, touch of salty, very crunchy, and very good for you since they're made of high protein nuts.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/blue-diamond-almond-nut-thins-country-ranch-4-25-oz-pkg?SourceCode=INTL405&CAWELAID=530002460000001220&mkwid=PqMrAyBU&pcrid=45563018407&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIjzpY-8l7wCFcEDOgodNWkAUw
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to answer your original question - find a food that you like, but don't LOVE. That should stop Hoovering in it's tracks.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

You can also stretch them out by crushing them - leave chunks, don't turn them into powder - and sprinkling over ice cream, peanut butter, chocolate. You can use them as a crust on pork or chicken and saute. You get the essence of pretzel and so much more.
    "Essence of pretzel" is not a phrase I ever expected to hear in life. :laugh:
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and salsa/fruit/other stuff.
  • rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    First things first...anytime I snack and feel like a hoover, I try to drink a big glass of water first. After that, perhaps you could dip your pretzels in something to make you feel fuller? Have some cheese with them? Cottage cheese? Dip them in some peanut butter or hummus. All I have ever found from denying myself what I think I want is that I eat way more trying to satisfy the original craving. Maybe even some fat free cream cheese with your pretzels (not particularly nutritious but some protein..and delicious!)
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    When I was a kid I would eat the entire giant bag of pretzel sticks. There was just something about them.

Try Nut Thins as a healthy snack chip. They're made of crushed almonds and if you like dips and salsas, they are sturdy enough to hold up. Blue Diamond makes them and they come in various flavors. Little nutty sweetness, touch of salty, very crunchy, and very good for you since they're made of high protein nuts.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/blue-diamond-almond-nut-thins-country-ranch-4-25-oz-pkg?SourceCode=INTL405&CAWELAID=530002460000001220&mkwid=PqMrAyBU&pcrid=45563018407&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIjzpY-8l7wCFcEDOgodNWkAUw

mmm i am going to look for those at the store tonight, thanks for the tip!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LAMP.

Sorry, I have nothing of substance to add.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    WHY DO THEY MAKE ME CRAVE MORE??? WHAT ARE GOOD SNACKS THAT DON'T TURN ME INTO A HOOVER VACUUM CLEANER EATING EVERYTHING IN SIGHT?

avoiding things is a strategy, but for many it only leads to temporary success. finding some better way to control yourself and still enjoy things you like is really the only long term solution that can truely be satifying.

Probably there are reasons why you are inhaling the pretzels other then they are simply to delicious. I took an online quiz that told me i was an emotional eater, and just knowing that gave me half a chance of stoping the behavior before it was too late on a case by case basis.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Pretzels are one of my favorites. I find that putting a serving in a bowl and putting the bag away works well for me.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    THESE PRETZELS.... ARE MAKIN ME THIRSTY!!!!!

lol
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Pretzels are one of my favorites. I find that putting a serving in a bowl and putting the bag away works well for me.

very good technique
  • s_kunze
    Options
    I have to try and stay away from really salty foods like pretzels...they are my gateway to chocolate. Once that starts there is no stopping it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    I have to try and stay away from really salty foods like pretzels...they are my gateway to chocolate. Once that starts there is no stopping it.

i will pray for you from my place in nutrition Nirvana