Meniere's Disease

Options
I've got it. Anyone else on here using MFP to track sodium, etc.?

Replies

• shannonalgren1
    shannonalgren1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have it too and it can be awful. I will be using this to track my sodium and sugar intake.
  • Rayedar
    Rayedar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've got it. 31 years old, only in my right ear for now. No permanent hearing loss yet. Yesterday I had a pretty brutal attack that I'm still not quite over. Hate this disease. It makes me really appreciate my symptom free days !
  • veggiebound
    veggiebound Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for diagnosis but on tablets to alleviate the vertigo symptoms (Betahistine). How do you manage to exercise around coping with Menieres?
  • bollweevil93
    bollweevil93 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've eliminated caffeinated beverages, alcohol, and kept sodium intake to less than 1500 mg/day. I strive to keep calories below 1500 net, but do blow that occasionally. Very little eating out...lots of cooking to make sure I know sodium count. I take a daily diuretic, drink lots of water, and workout at the gym every morning at 5 am. I've lost 30+ pounds this year (Thanks MFP!). Lots of ringing and humming in right ear, almost complete loss of hearing and word recognition in right ear, ringing in left ear, fullness not too bad most of the time. I tried to quit the diuretic, but after only two days the fullness in both ears was unbearable, and lost hearing in both ears. Back on diuretic, fullness gone and left ear back.

Good news...no vertigo in a LONG time. I used to carry Valium to take when I felt vertigo coming on, but I don't even carry it on my body anymore. (Of course, it's in my truck, my desk at work, my briefcase, my wife's car, and various other places...)

In fact, I started riding my bicycle again a few weeks ago. Not something I could do when I was having vertigo issues. Pretty long rides...no problems. Due to time change I've even been riding after work in the dark with a headlight.

So...am in just in a lull? Is vertigo going to hit me again, or is the diet, exercise, weight loss helping?
  • bollweevil93
    Options
    I am waiting for diagnosis but on tablets to alleviate the vertigo symptoms (Betahistine). How do you manage to exercise around coping with Menieres?

I was on Betahistine for a long time. I don't think it helped at all. I couldn't tell any difference (other than saving money) when I quit taking it.

• fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    What is it ?
  • bollweevil93
    Options
    How do you manage to exercise around coping with Menieres?

I'm really not sure... After I quit caffeine, alcohol (never was a heavy drinker anyway), and limited sodium, I would have some good days. I would exercise. Ears would good that fullness feeling, but no vert. Every now and then I would get dizzy, but not vertigo. In fact, I still will get some dizziness, but I have not had start to sweat fall to the floor crawl to the toilet hope to pass out rotational vertigo in a long time.

So, every morning I get up at 4:45 am and go to the gym and workout for about 45 minutes on weights. Personal trainer. She had me doing some balance stuff and I told her I have no balance. She demanded I do the exercises, and dammit if I don't have some balance back. (I just realized this...guess I need to give her a hug.) About a month ago I started riding my bicycle. Mountain bike on paved trails. I get in four or five nights a week averaging 15-20 miles at 14-15 mph. I feel great. Hope the vertigo stays away.

Good luck on you journey!

• bollweevil93
    Options
    Rayedar wrote: »
    I've got it. 31 years old, only in my right ear for now. No permanent hearing loss yet. Yesterday I had a pretty brutal attack that I'm still not quite over. Hate this disease. It makes me really appreciate my symptom free days !

Hate to hear you have this monster. No vertigo for me in a long time (knock on wood). Ringing in my right ear has not stopped in years. Left ear started ringing constantly this summer. I can hear some sound in right ear, but very little word recognition. I wear a hearing aid everyday in my right to help with knowing where sounds originate, but it's not any help with hearing words. I also have a hearing aid for my left eat, but only wear it on bad days. The deep humming bothers me more than the ringing.

I've decided to enjoy every good day I have, and I'm blessed to have good days. Not everyone does.
  • shfoster0721
    shfoster0721 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have it too! It's no joke. The last episode happened two years ago. Knock on wood, I fell over in the middle of class. My students were freaked out. The ringing is the worst. Hearing a high pitched noise that no one else does.
  • bollweevil93
    Options
    What is it ?

It's an inner ear issue. Symptoms are ringing and "fullness" in the ears, loss of hearing, and vertigo. Vertigo is the worst part in my opinion. Of course, I've already lost my hearing in my right ear...if I lose hearing in my left I'll be pretty upset.