Does what I eat matter if I want to get a bigger butt?

Options
Okay so from what everyone's been saying, I need a calorie surplus to gain muscle in my butt. I don't know if this is enough to work out my glutes but I do 40 minutes of cardio (on an elliptical...usually burning 400+ calories) and then I do about 50 weighted squats with 7.5 lb dumbbells in each hand. I tend to eat a little unhealthily but since I'm trying to gain muscle, does it matter? will I still get the results I want (a bigger butt)?

Replies

• lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I'm thinking you need to adjust your plan to get what you want. If you want a fatter butt, eating unhealthy or excess calories will probably accomplish that, but you'll be adding to other areas that you probably won't want to. It has been said you can't spot reduce fat, I seriously doubt you can spot add either! If you want a more muscular butt, work out accordingly (which it seems like you are headed in the right direction, there), but add more protein to your diet...add healthy calories, not empty ones.
  • MaeRenee94
    Options
    Cut down on cardio or eat more.
    Start lifting. Squats, deadlifts, leg extensions.
    Eat 200-400 surplus
  • pixelheap
    Options
    I believe if you eat butts of various animals you will get a bigger butt. It's science.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    Eat 200-400 surplus

^
    Cardio wont make you gain muscle. A calorie surplus, eating enough protein and lifting heavy weights will. Do a full-body programme such as Stronglifts or New Rules Of Lifting.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    I believe if you eat butts of various animals you will get a bigger butt. It's science.

Seems legit.

It only works if you eat butts of animals that have a big behind themselves, though, such as hippos.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Eat 200-400 surplus

Aye. Heavy squats and deads. Bin the high rep DB squats.

*ponders* I've never seen my buttcheeks since starting training. Maybe the above advice is all wrong. :laugh:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Seems legit.

And no buts!
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Eat 200-400 surplus
    This. Less cardio and far more weight lifting - with real weights. And eat more protein to fuel muscular development.

Instead of 40 mins cardio, do 40 mins weights. If you can do 50 weighted squats AFTER that much cardio, you haven't worked your muscles to fatigue which means you're not going to see much development. But please be aware your legs will probably become more muscular at the same time as your glutes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    The glutes are some of the strongest muscles in the the body. Time to trade in those 7.5 dumbells for some 50lbs ones instead. Muscle sarcoplasmic hypertrophy grows on muscle overload and not muscle endurance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You're not going to build your glutes doing cardio or high rep light weight squats. Do a full body heavy lifting program like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts or New Rules. You need to do heavier weight, lower reps to build muscle.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Okay so from what everyone's been saying, I need a calorie surplus to gain muscle in my butt. I don't know if this is enough to work out my glutes but I do 40 minutes of cardio (on an elliptical...usually burning 400+ calories) and then I do about 50 weighted squats with 7.5 lb dumbbells in each hand. I tend to eat a little unhealthily but since I'm trying to gain muscle, does it matter? will I still get the results I want (a bigger butt)?

You need to do a progressive resistance routine and eat a) in a surplus and b) plenty of protein.

Making up your own routine will probably not give you the results you want.

Bret Contreras has a recognised routine called "strong curves" that has a strong glute focus. It might be worth you checking out. I'm sorry to break it to you, but high-rep squats with 15lb is not going to have the effects you crave.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    "Everyone's saying"... the best thing I could tell you, is that you should come here for advice, on what to research for yourself.

If you're going to comit to anything, you should start by reading a book on the subject. New Rules of Lifting for Women is an excellent book to start with.

Also keep in mind that packing on muscle is a very slow process for men, let alone women. Make sure your training program has other indicators of success (strength, weight loss/gain, etc...), or you will probably get disappointed after a few months.

Also, about your butt (or any other muscle for that matter), it's shape and size are determined in large part by your genetics. Which isn't to say that you can't put on more muscle, but it's going ot take a long time, and if you have no butt right now, it's never going to be particularly big.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    15lb dumbbell squats are NOT going to induce muscle growth.

If you've never lifted before I'd recommend something like this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Once you've done that for a while (got the basics done) then you can look around for specific hypertrophy programs, or something like Bret Contreras' Strong Curves.

As far as eating, if you want to gain muscle, start with a small calorie surplus, maybe 250 above maintenance. Get plenty of protein, 1 gram per pound of lean body mass, which usually is around 100g. You will gain muscle all over, not just in your butt. You will also gain fat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    "Everyone's saying"... the best thing I could tell you, is that you should come here for advice, on what to research for yourself.

If you're going to comit to anything, you should start by reading a book on the subject. New Rules of Lifting for Women is an excellent book to start with.

Also keep in mind that packing on muscle is a very slow process for men, let alone women. Make sure your training program has other indicators of success (strength, weight loss/gain, etc...), or you will probably get disappointed after a few months.

Also, about your butt (or any other muscle for that matter), it's shape and size are determined in large part by your genetics. Which isn't to say that you can't put on more muscle, but it's going ot take a long time, and if you have no butt right now, it's never going to be particularly big.

This.gif
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I would agree, SL 5x5 is a great program for a beginner. And yes, your butt will grow lol. It's also balanced, so you're hitting everything, and you'll get stronger on the whole.

Things like a strong waist, bigger butt, etc... will come as by products of you focusing on the 4 big lifts and you getting stronger.
  • sahantha
    Options
    Yes, you should also follow a proper diet along with butt exercises to make your butt bigger. Foods such as meat, soy, sweet potatores, whole wheat bread, brown rice, omega-3 fats will help you acheive a bigger and round booty. Here is a full list -

http://www.biggerbuttocks.info/2013/08/foods-that-make-butt-bigger.html
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should also follow a proper diet along with butt exercises to make your butt bigger. Foods such as meat, soy, sweet potatores, whole wheat bread, brown rice, omega-3 fats will help you acheive a bigger and round booty. Here is a full list -

http://www.biggerbuttocks.info/2013/08/foods-that-make-butt-bigger.html

Strong first post!
  • Razz_Baby
    Razz_Baby Posts: 89 Member
    Options

This.gif

I concur.