Running Tips needed!

Options
I've been walk/jog/runing for the past 6 or 7 years. It has been very sporadic. I've run 2 5K's and hope to run more. Lately I'm having ankle pain (right ankle only) after running. It hurts a little while running towards the end of my run, but most of the pain is after running like at night and walking the next morning. It's very tight at times. I just bought new running shoes hoping that was part of the problem. Should I wrap it while running? Is this common?
I would appreciate any tips or suggestions for new runners, or runners who don't really know what they're doing :ohwell:
Thanks!

Replies

• scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    By pain, what level are you talking? An ache or a sharp pain? If it's an ache, then it could be a number of factors and most can be corrected. If it's a sharp pain there may be something more going on.
  • KDJS1988
    KDJS1988 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    By pain, what level are you talking? An ache or a sharp pain? If it's an ache, then it could be a number of factors and most can be corrected. If it's a sharp pain there may be something more going on.

It's usually more of an ache or tightness. I can put weight on it. It just gets very tight. I didn't know if it was the way I'm running or my old shoes.
  • scottyg70
    Options
    It's usually more of an ache or tightness. I can put weight on it. It just gets very tight. I didn't know if it was the way I'm running or my old shoes.

Shoes were going to be the first thing I suggested. The rule of thumb is change our your shoes every six months (if you're a regular runner). So if you have the money, maybe try a new pair? It also could be that area isn't as developed and strengthening exercises might work. One of the simple things to do is, from a chair, write the alphabet with your toe. That will stretch out any tightness you have and strengthen the lower part of your leg.
  • KDJS1988
    Options

Shoes were going to be the first thing I suggested. The rule of thumb is change our your shoes every six months (if you're a regular runner). So if you have the money, maybe try a new pair? It also could be that area isn't as developed and strengthening exercises might work. One of the simple things to do is, from a chair, write the alphabet with your toe. That will stretch out any tightness you have and strengthen the lower part of your leg.

Great! I will try all of those. I just bought new shoes last night. Thank you so much for your quick reply!
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for proper shoes? I've learned that not all shoes are created equal and that I tend over-pronate and require a shoe that compensates for that to prevent pain. I found The Running Room very helpful and knowledgeable and now I know what to look for in shoes when its time for replacement. Just a thought :)
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Are you doing enough stretching after you run?

Oh and I just need to add in that I've had my shoes for a couple of years now - one of the advantages of minimalist shoes. No padding = no need to replace.
  • scottyg70
    Options
    Are you doing enough stretching after you run?

A dynamic warm up prior to and stretching after should be a must. It will reduce the chances of injury also.
  • KDJS1988
    Options
    Thanks! I will give that a try!
  • KDJS1988
    Options
    No, I'm probably not doing as much stretching after that I should. Thanks!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I have found that strength training is often more important than stretching for these sorts of injuries. Try doing some heel walks, toe walks, and calf raises (as part of a general runner's strength routine).
  • ecottencat
    ecottencat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have ankle problems from a previous non running related accident. I was just running in normal store running shoes. Talked to a personal trainer that we have access to free at the gym and she said to go to a running store and have them fit me to a proper shoe. Here I found out I needed a suppotive shoe as I was running inward instead of the outside of my foot when I landed. So that is why it was irritating my ankles more than normal. Once I bough my running shoes no more issues than what I normally have.
  • rdeysher
    Options
    Make sure you stretch! I ran for years and never did much stretching and I really regretted that after I starting having IT band issues. A lot of money in PT and time off later, I am finally starting to run again (at a much slower pace than before). Now I stretch every night no matter what and I have not had any trouble yet! :) Hopefully I never will!
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Strength training and stretching are really helpful!
  • KDJS1988
    Options
    I will. thanks!
  • KDJS1988
    Options
    I will try that! thanks!
  • scottyg70
    Options
    I have found that strength training is often more important than stretching for these sorts of injuries. Try doing some heel walks, toe walks, and calf raises (as part of a general runner's strength routine).

I actually use heel and toe walks as part of my dynamic warmup before I run.
  • KDJS1988
    Options
    A big Thank you to everyone! I will try all of these tips! Much appreciated!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    As others have said...strength training... and keep an eye on that pain...if it gets worse or you have to alter your gait...see a doc.

I had developed a pain in my ankle and continued to run through it until i couldnt. i had a month of no running and barely able to walk up stairs it was that bad. Had a good PT and followed the stretch and strength ideas religiously and it got better...so yea keep an eye on it