Weightlifting Gloves alternatives

Options
I normally use gloves for lifting or working with kettlebells. I find they tend to bunch up under my fingers and sometimes hinder more than help.

My hands sweat massively (not just my hands but thats another story) but I also suffer from Pompholyx on my hand, which is a type of eczema, if I have a breakout it gets very painful and the skin on my hands rips.

I am trying to go without using gloves and maybe try an alternative like liquid chalk - has anyone here had any similar experiences?

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I use Primo Chalk. Their Chalk is blended with essential oils. So far so good but mind you I don't have an skin problems

http://www.roguecanada.ca/primo-chalk-balls.php
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have read that gloves are usually more hinderance then help.

Why liquid chalk specifically?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    chalk
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have read that gloves are usually more hinderance then help.

Why liquid chalk specifically?

I heard its supposed to be less messy, never used it so can't comment.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I don't know about less messy, but I figure the mess should be the least of your concerns when you are going to be getting all sweaty anyway!

You can get a regular chalk ball for less than $10 on Amazon.
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a smaller size glove that would have less material to bunch up?
  • The_Angry_Fish_Guy
    The_Angry_Fish_Guy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Give Versa grips a look. I love mine.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have gloves I have never used. Must've bought them when I was a young teenager as I really don't remember - they have just always been there.

This said, I use chalk. I have a ball of it I keep inside two small resealable bags. I don't go to the gym at the moment so don't need it much but if I am doing something higher volume with a kettlebell at home I will use it and it definitely helps.
  • MissB46
    Options
    I don't know about less messy, but I figure the mess should be the least of your concerns when you are going to be getting all sweaty anyway!

You can get a regular chalk ball for less than $10 on Amazon.

I don't really care about getting covered in chalk myself, just not really that keen on getting it all over the equipment as there are a few gyms that frown upon that.....and I live in the UK so not really gonna order anything from the US or Canada...but found a UK website and I will try their chalk, see what it does to my skin.....:ohwell:
  • MissB46
    Options

Not really suitable for kettlebells though which is a major part of my routine, the heavier I go with the KB's the more the gloves get in the way....
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    When I lift at home, I use chalk and proper grip. Chalk is the stuff I put on the wall for the pool table. Works great. I can get by without chalk if I focus on proper grip. Mark Rippetoe has some good videos on youtube on proper grip. Very helpful.

For going to the gym, I bought some of this stuff:

Mammut Liquid Climbing Chalk

878135694_640.jpg

Great stuff. Leaves a residue and keeps my hands dry even when I wash them. Might not be good for sensitive skin.

Tom
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Another for chalk
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Chalk

You can wash your hands and use cream after :)
  • MissB46
    Options
    I have tried some liquid chalk the other day when I did a kettlebell class day and the difference was amazing!!! It was like the kettlebell had been glued to my hand!

Only toward the end of the class when doing Turkish Get-ups did my had slip a bit....

The one I tried was from My Protein and its defo going on the shopping list....I didn't transfer a lot either so was ideal for gym use
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options

Not really suitable for kettlebells though which is a major part of my routine, the heavier I go with the KB's the more the gloves get in the way....
    I don't see why you couldn't use versa grips on kettle bells. You can just wrap them over the handles. The nice thing about versa grips vs straps is that you can easily grip the wrapped strap portion with little squeezing (suicide grip) since palms stick well to the strap material.
  • MissB46
    Options

I don't see why you couldn't use versa grips on kettle bells. You can just wrap them over the handles. The nice thing about versa grips vs straps is that you can easily grip the wrapped strap portion with little squeezing (suicide grip) since palms stick well to the strap material.

are you on commission by any chance? :smile:
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options

are you on commission by any chance? :smile:
    No, they are an extremely valuable piece of gym equipment and I've used them for almost 5 years now. They've really helped improve my lats and grip. Best of all, my hands do not get major callouses or chafe anymore