New mum, UK, post cesarean, need to lose 50lb.

Options
Hi! Just looking for people in a similar situation to maybe buddy up and give each other motivation and support? My little girl is now 8 weeks old and i am ready to start loosing weight, toning up and generally making myself happy again. I had started to gain weight much before I became pregnant so not only do I have my pregnancy weight to lose but also all the weight i had gain pre pregnancy. I am 5'4", I currently weigh 178lb (12 st 10lb) and am looking to lose approximately 50lb by July which should be about 2lb a week which i guess is sensible? MFP has recommended a daily calorie intake of 1200 per day which seems to be ok so far (been tracking the last couple of days). My activity levels have always been fairly basic, I have started hula hooping classes which is 1 hour a week (and much harder work then I initially thought!) And I am trying to use the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred DVD, but it seems every time i attempt a work out my darling girl has other ideas and wakes up (maybe she is trying to tell me something). I managed it yesterday and boy am i feeling it in my legs today!
Anyway, as I am post caesarean my biggest worry is my tummy, I have always had 'issues' with my tummy but since the caesarean its huge and hangs over. Any suggestions for excercises for this? Bear in mind my tummy muscles are currently absolutely shot!!
So just looking for some new friends to share successes with? Leave a comment and I will try to add as many people as my brain can cope with! :)

Replies

• MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    Are you breadtfeeding? If so you souls talk to your doctor sbout going on such a restricted calorie intake, because you may be able to manage but it can affect your breast milk and I'm sure you don't want to put baby on a diet. There are a lot of postpartum yoga programs out there to help tone up and repair the bits of your body that saw the most work during your pregnancy.
    With being so recently postpartum I wouldn't do anything without first talking to your doctor and make sure you've got the go ahead, especially with a little lady who needs you there and in good health, you don't want to push yourself too hard and hurt yourself.
  • jessicagilb
    jessicagilb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Props to you for doing all that post csect! I am 5mos post csect and been at this for a couple of weeks, but I remember I tried exercising after my 6-8wk mark and I had no strength and it still was too sure!
    You can add me! I'm 5'1 and need to lose around 50lbs also!
  • mlima14
    mlima14 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You need to give yourself some time to recuperate after such a surgery the outside might seem like it's healed but on the inside it takes a bit more time.

As for toning the tummy, sprints work really great. They not only tone your legs, and bum, but also your core.
  • alicemelinda1
    Options
    No i'm not breastfeeding unfortunately. A traumatic birth and emergancy section affected my milk and it didnt come in properly :(

Good news however is I have already discussed my plans with my GP and she is happy for me to go ahead, and simply said to be careful with the exercise and to know my own limits.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Try pilates. It's great for strengthening the core muscles that tighten up the belly area and some of them can be done with your baby resting on you. When you start out the exercises seem very easy and minimal but keeping with it , they become quite challenging and will change the way you hold your body. I really want to get back into pilates myself. Heck, even my soldier husband uses pilates to get through tough pack marches.
  • slimfast108
    slimfast108 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am also in a similar situation. My daughter is only 4 weeks and I had a c-section so I have not started any exercises yet. I would like to buddy up but I will start some exercises in 4 weeks time. I too have good 50lbs to loose.
  • porschedoherty12
    Options
    My LG is 5 weeks now, also had section and an 5 foot 3...i gained 4 stone in pregnancy but lost over 2 1/2 stone in first 3 weeks (major swelling due to pre eclampsia) i am now 11 stone 4 with an aim of 9 stone 8 by the time of my holiday in October so add me if you like xx
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I still have 2 stone to lose to get to pre-pregnancy weight and my little girl is 10 months old.

I started exercising again just after my 6 week check. I've been very, very lucky with all three of mine and had natural deliveries and not needed stitches, so exercising was fine, but 10 months on my abs haven't totally regained the strength they had.

I do personal training sessions, HIIT class, spinning, kettlebells, step aerobics, circuits etc, and I've done a couple of 5k runs.

Obviously you need to start out slower than I did because of the c-sec, so even take your baby for some long walks to burn some calories.

Getting your stomach to go down takes time, but it's possible. I lost 66lbs after my 2nd (she'll be 4 in May) and I wore a bikini, so I didn't look too hideous lol.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    hi just recommendations for those who have recently had a baby by csection. DO NOT overdo it. i can tell u it seriously sucks having an infected wound. u had major surgery. i had part of my stomach stitches reopen by going to fast. that is not fun. start with walking for awhile. do not do things with ur ab muscles till atleast 12 weeks. also to the OP 2lb a week for the first bit is reasonable. but it wont last. theres a good chance 1200 cal is far too low especially when u start exercising. u want something u can stick to. not a crash diet. 50lb takes a long time to put on. it took me 8 months to lose 50lb. and thats considered pretty quick. i hate seeing people dissapointed because they don't lose as fast as they have decided in theyre heads they need to lose
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree about 1200 calories being a little low. I eat 1500-1600 a day, although I don't eat back exercise calories. I've set MFP to lose 1lb a week. When you're a busy mum and having sleepless nights, on top of exercising a lot, then 1200 is not enough.