How much weight do you think I will lose in 6 months?

Options
I eat around 1,000 calories a day and my workouts burn around 270 calories. I weigh 146 (sadly). How much weight do you think I can lose in 6 months? Thank you for your help! And any advice to increase my weight loss is appreciated!

I'm 5'1

Replies

• littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I think that would very much depend on your height. If you're 6'4" I'd say you're already borderline dying and have no body fat to lose. If you're 4'6" then you would probably lose ~35 lbs. :)
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    1. Eat more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

2. No idea, I'd consult a magic 8 ball, it would probably give you the same answers.

3. 146 lbs, sadly? Nothing sad about it. Everyone starts somewhere and I bet there are those who would be more than happy to start out at 146 lbs.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    3. 146 lbs, sadly? Nothing sad about it. Everyone starts somewhere and I bet there are those who would be more than happy to start out at 146 lbs.

RIGHT!?!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Nice first post. :noway:
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Are you 17? Judging from the question and your username...
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I'd happily love to weigh 146. how much can you loose in 6 months? idk. how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    1. Eat more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

2. No idea, I'd consult a magic 8 ball, it would probably give you the same answers.

This.

MooCow: How old are you? How tall are you?

You should be eating AT LEAST 1200 calories a day.

Most people eventually stop losing weight eating 1200 calories a day simply because their body needs more food. You are causing a lot of harm and damage to your body only eating 1000 calories a day.

And you are sad to be 146 lbs? I would KILL to be 146 lbs again.
  • MooCow11971
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

RIGHT!?!

^THIS!

Also, eat more than 1000 calories.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1,000 calories a day and my workouts burn around 270 calories. I weigh 146 (sadly). How much weight do you think I can lose in 6 months? Thank you for your help! And any advice to increase my weight loss is appreciated!

I'm 5'1

While you are getting knocked around a bit for the silliness of this post and question, the truth is there is no "increase to weight loss". You should only lose 1-2 lbs per week on average, and be patient. That's how it works. Faster than that, and you lose muscle mass. Then if you gain weight back, you gain more fat and end up less healthy than you were to begin with. It's a life journey, not a quick race to a finish line.
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you are only eating 1000 calories a day, and even excersising on top of that you will probably lose a good amount for about a month or so. Then you'll hit a plateau and stop losing weight because you body will go into starvation mode, even if you don't feel hungry, your body will still go into starvation mode. It will hang onto every little thing you stick in your mouth. Then you either have to start eating less and less which of course leads to anorexia or try to get on a normal diet of at least 1200 calories where your body will freak out for a little bit and start gaining before you start losing.

My advice so this doesn't happen. Eat 1400 calories a day. Excersize when you want. If you are eating 1400 calories you will still lose weight and your body won't freak out on you and go into starvation mode.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    With a question like that you won't get very many supportive answers for several reasons. First, 1000 calories goes against the recommended minimum calories for women. Second, this is not a race, it's a marathon.

That being said is recommend you read the welcome forums to learn about the community here. Read the guide to sexy pants, learn how to eat healthy and healthy amounts. Get active, I'm not saying work out for 4 hours a day 7 days a week, 30-45 minutes of walking 4-5 times a week will do wonders although I really think resistance training of some form is also necessary eventually if not now. Healthy weight loss is about 1 - 1.5 lbs a week. Use MFP, get a food scale weigh all you solid food and measure your liquids, eat at a reasonable deficit, don't deprive yourself because there are no bad foods, stay within your calories and macros, and the weight will come off.

Good luck.
  • VictoriaDarleneGale
    Options
    LOVE everyones response to this so far, I'd give my left nut (and I don't even have nuts) to be starting at 146, hell...246 for that matter! Just do the best you can and work hard for 6 months and see where you get. And it's none of my business but....with the user name you chose Im gonna guess you aren't feeling good about yourself right now....take it from this girl that thinking of yourself as a "moocow" really isn't in your best interest, you have to feel good about yourself to make changes and lose as much as you can in 6 months. So "moocow" are you worth it?? I bet you are! Put your best effort in, find some friends and work hard to see how far you can get in 6 months. I think if you put the work in you just might exceed any projections you've set for yourself weight-wise. Good luck!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    If you are only eating 1000 calories a day, and even excersising on top of that you will probably lose a good amount for about a month or so. Then you'll hit a plateau and stop losing weight because you body will go into starvation mode, even if you don't feel hungry, your body will still go into starvation mode. It will hang onto every little thing you stick in your mouth. Then you either have to start eating less and less which of course leads to anorexia or try to get on a normal diet of at least 1200 calories where your body will freak out for a little bit and start gaining before you start losing.

My advice so this doesn't happen. Eat 1400 calories a day. Excersize when you want. If you are eating 1400 calories you will still lose weight and your body won't freak out on you and go into starvation mode.

No, this is not good advice. Please don't listen to this. Your body will not hold onto fat when you are not eating enough. You will continue to lose weight and become dangerously underweight.

Calculate how many calories you need to maintain your currrent weight (TDEE) and then subtract 200-300 calories below that. At 5'1" you don't know if 1400 calories is even close to what you need to maintain or to lose, especially before you calculate your TDEE, which includes your activity level.
  • amandaaune14
    amandaaune14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You really need to understand what you want from your weight loss. Are you trying to look supermodel thin (which is just as unhealthy as being a little overweight) or do you want to look toned?
    You need to focus on a healthy way to lose the weight. Eating only 1,000 calories a day is not good for your body and can actually slow your metabolism. I can only assume you are also not eating a well balanced diet or learning good eating habits.
    Ultimately, if you want to lose weight remember to do it in a healthy and responsible way. I think you have several people, including myself, worried about how little you are eating.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to look supermodel thin (which is just as unhealthy as being a little overweight) or do you want to look toned?

I don't like this. There's nothing wrong with super models... Most supermodels are toned. Just because they are thin does not equate unhealthy. If done correctly, lowering BF% can result in that look without starving yourself. I agree that eating at sustainable levels is mandatory to obtain this but I just don't agree with shaming people who are thin.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Are you trying to look supermodel thin (which is just as unhealthy as being a little overweight) or do you want to look toned?

I don't like this. There's nothing wrong with super models... Most supermodels are toned. Just because they are thin does not equate unhealthy. If done correctly, lowering BF% can result in that look without starving yourself. I agree that eating at sustainable levels is mandatory to obtain this but I just don't agree with shaming people who are thin.

^This^. I'm the same size as several supermodels and I'm not unhealthy. and I don't starve myself.
  • MooCow11971
    Options
    Thank you! Your post was very nice!
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm surprised by the mentality on MFP, it's fantastic! If you even MENTION less than the "magic" 1200 you're jumped all over. I love it. I love it because it's just parroting, nothing more and I have no idea why but I smile.

She's barely 5 feet tall.

@OP, Yes 1000 calories is fine. If you feel satiated and can handle it mentally, it's perfectly fine. Disregard the parroting mentality of all these people who have "read" on blogs and forums that 1200 is a super duper magic number and anything less than that your body will just eats itself alive and all your muscle mass will shrivel away. It's silly and ill-educated.

I personally was clinically obese @ 235 lbs 5'5" and lost 95 lbs to 141 eating for 10 weeks 500-700 calories, low carb less than 15-20 carbs a day not a single cheat. I lost 41 lbs in 10 weeks. I didn't die. I had no ill effects health-wise whatsoever. I've had *EXTENSIVE* blood work done. After reaching 141 lbs I've slowly lost more fat and slowly put on lean mass. I now sit at 7% year round @ ~150-153. So what happened? Was I just a lucky guy and the magic sub 1200 didn't kill me? My body didn't eat itself?! HOW COULD IT BE SO ! All my muscle mass didn't leave me in a puddle of bones?! I'll tell you why, I was still getting ~150g of protein and resistance training. Did I lose *some* muscle? Yeah, maybe? I dunno but I looked ultra lean @ 141 and I was in a great position to continue resistance training and slowly up my calories to slowly add lean mass.

You have to take everything into account when laying out a diet. She's 5'1" tall @ 146 lbs. It's certainly not terrible but she wants to lose weight. 1k calories is perfectly fine at her height.

The best diet is a diet with the fewest calories while maintaining overall and mental health. A diet that you can mentally stick to doing and feel good about.

P.S. Bring on the hate! I'll add it to my calories for the day. :)

DISCLAIMER: Since there appears to be confusion here, I am at no point stating OP should follow the diet I personally followed. I was sharing my personal experience as an example against the posters saying her 1000 calories a day @ 5'1" is too low.