Hi I'm New and Frustrated

Options
Hi everyone....I hope to find some help on this board as it seems my body wants to be big forever.

Background:
I have always been overweight but also active in sports, at the gym, etc, so I would say I'm pretty fit for being a big girl. I can run a mile without stopping, etc. My family is on the big side, nobody is huge but we are all stocky. I have been struggling with my weight and self esteem issues since I was in elementary school which, I believe, led me to make some bad decisions when it came to men. I def was given bigger portions growing up and still prefer bigger portions however I have def cut back in my adult years. I have never really been a regular eater of fast food, chips, but i do love sweets although those were always limited. My mom cooked, and it wasn't usually fried foods or anything, but it was the portions.

Currently:
Well - last year I tried this Medical Weight Loss program (my friend did it and gave me all the rules, diet, everything) and I lost 14 lbs in about 3 months. It was mainly the change in my diet, as I am a usual gym goer or I workout at home at least 1 hour a day at least 4 days a week, sometimes 5. Anyhow, after that, Thanksgiving came, Christmas came, and I was hovering around about 3 lbs over my lowest I got to on the MWL program. Since then I have fluctuated up and down but have still basically (at least during the week) been following the "regular" every day eating program from MWL program. I also go to the gym for an hour 4-5 days a week still as I have been for years. Anyhow, in July I started going through something VERY difficult with my son and was extremely stressed from July - end of September, where I put on 10 lbs. I was def stress eating during this time but since beg of october the stress has passed yet I have continued to gain weight and I am now at the same place I was last year before I began the MWL program. I have even tried to "restart" the program w/ the Break Diet followed by a Cleanse Diet and although I did go down a couple pounds, they came right back.

My main frustration is that I'm fit, healthy, no blood pressure issues, no sugar issues, none of that, and like I stated I work out 4 -5 times a week, a mixture of strength and cardio training. Yet I'm still big and can't seem to get smaller. I know this is going to affect me as I get older (I am 32 now) and frankly it is hurting my self esteem once again. IF ANYONE has any advice for me or has had the same struggles, please post them! I am hoping the FitnessPal app on my phone will help me in this battle too....... we shall see

Replies

• mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    First welcome to the site.

Second I know you are going to like it here. The support is amazing.

I have no advice but please know you are not alone. We are all in this together. ((((HUGS))))
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    WOW I honestly do not have a good answer except - have you gone to your General physician lately? Is it possible that you are battling something that is preventing you from losing weight like a thyroid issue?

Also do you journal everything you put in your mouth?

Have you tried interval training?
  • Boopa
    Boopa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was thinking what the pp suggested, there could be a thyroid issue or you may have something else PCOS comes to mind for a potential. definately make an appointment with your doc and have some tests done. If there is something like that you can get on the right path to lose those extra pounds. Good Luck, and welcome to MFP
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard.

If you want you can add me as a friend. Portion control is the best way to do things. When you eat is just as important as what you eat. What's your schedule like? If you would like to talk send me a message. OK?

I've had a very good experience here and I'm sure you will too!

All my best.
  • myia_burgreen
    Options
    It's hard work! If it wasn't everyone would be their ideal weight. I think this is a great place to start, it allows you to keep track of your calorie intake. I think with your exercising you are doing now and starting to count calories you will be on the right track for sure. I got up an down in weight every year and it's a struggle to get back into the gym and back to counting calories. But now I know how many calories are in everything. My friend wants to go to lunch today, she is not counting calories and she picked this cafe. I told her I couldn't go there because they didn't offer any information about their food, no caloires, etc. So I picked a different locations so I could research what I want for lunch and if it fit into my calorie budget for the day. Always have a plan! I think that is the key. I plan for every calorie I am going to eat and if I want something that's not in my budget I just have to make up for it on the elltipical.

I don't really think it's a diet though, it's more of changing your eating happens and portions and a lifestyle. I think portion control is huge part of it. I measure everything I can. I eat out of smaller bowls rather than large plates.

I am honest when I record my calories espeically if I know I'm way over because if gives you an idea of how much you are truly eating.

PS the app on the phone is great to record food on the go.
  • MissMessVaness
    MissMessVaness Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    hello welcome to mfp! you will like it here if you do it! mfp is here for support, and to open your eyes to what you are actually eating. Theres some foods that I ate all my life that I never knew were fattening until I joined here. The best piece of advice is to be honest to yourself! Even when you don't want to face a bad day of when you eat crap for dinner still log on to the best website ever and diary all of your food intake for the day. You may not be happy about it at the time but it will be a reminder the next time that you reach for the high calorie food that you don't wanna do that! And if you do..... eat a smaller portion! Also... water water water! Good luck to you!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I suggest tracking everything you put in your mouth (and be sure to measure it). See what you eat compared to what you burn, and you might be surprised. Portion sizes are really TINY compared to what we have all been made to "think" is normal and until you start meausring and tracking, it's really hard to see the real totals. Also, maybe change up your workout a little bit. Your body may be quite used to the activities you do and changing it up (either by the type of workout or intensity) would probably help too.
  • dlmarkley66
    Options
    Welcome to the site! I think you will love it here! I had no idea how a website could help me lose weight and did not think I was eating that much. After tracking my foods on the great log and measuring my foods, I have learned just how much I was eating and how to control my portions. The food diary has made all the difference and I probably would have given up without it. I have lost about 16lbs in 6-7 wks which I know would not have happened without this site. Plus most everyone is very supportive. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. Welcome!
  • WhiteRaven
    WhiteRaven Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think one of the most important things for you to do is track you food... every last morsel and don't forget the drinks, whether it is water, coffee tea or pop. And any BLT"s you might have... no not bacon lettuce tomato. Im talking about all the Bites Licks And Tastes... granted I am not sure how to count calories on these myself, the main thing is to be aware of them. A llittle can add up to a lot.

So, back on track here. Track your food intake for a week and then really examine what, and how much you are eating.

Someone ages ago posted a good BBC mini documentary on tips for weight loss. Here are the ten tips they came up with. Maybe it will help

1/ Don't Skip any meals - especially breakfast
    2/ use smaller plates -
    3/ Count Calories
    4/ Don't blame plateus or struggles on metabolism
    5/ Protein will stave off hunger
    6/ Soup will keep you fuller longer
    7/ Choose low fat dairy over full fat
    8/ Exercise regularly - your body will continue burning even after the fact... kind of a residual effect
    9/ Can't read my own writing, sorry :( missed this one.
    10/ KEEP MOVING
  • dlmarkley66
    Options
    Welcome to the site! I think you will love it here! I had no idea how a website could help me lose weight and did not think I was eating that much. After tracking my foods on the great log and measuring my foods, I have learned just how much I was eating and how to control my portions. The food diary has made all the difference and I probably would have given up without it. I have lost about 16lbs in 6-7 wks which I know would not have happened without this site. Plus most everyone is very supportive. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. Welcome!
  • Badmood
    Badmood Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you need to take a look at what you're doing in the gym. If you are following your calories and making sure you add everything you eat to this website, then you really need to start looking at your workout routine. I would suggest two a days if that is possible for you.

Get up in the morning and have 1 cup of orange juice and start your cardio. You will burn more fat and calories early when your stomach is empty. Then after work or on your lunch you can do your resistive training.

I wish you the best of luck and hope things in your life level out and become less stressful.
  • myia_burgreen
    Options
    Yes count everything. I take fish oil and it's 10 calories a capsule. I have to count that because I take it 3 times a day and it adds up! And gum is 5 calories a piece. It's the little things that can add up.
    Now if I have taken 9 fish oil capsuls and had 3 pieces of gum and didn't record it, that's 105 calories extra I had that day that I didn't account for. You will get used to counting everything after a while. :-)
  • ALLENFLO
    ALLENFLO Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to the site. My suggestion would be to track you daily food intake as others have said. One thing though that I found important for myself was to get a food scale and weigh your food. You mentioned that you are used to big portions but you may not really know how many calories are in those portions until you weigh them out and punch them in. One other thing that works great is to eat more often and smaller portions. If you eat 3 means a day, try bumping it to 5 with a protein and a complex carb for each mean. Keep them around 300 calories and your metabilism will go to town.

For the gym, it sounds like you go regularly. If you are doing the same thing that you always do, switch up your exercises or cardio. I tend to find my body gets used to something and switching it up get's it going again. Also, I always try to increase my training a bit each week or two. Either I do cardio a bit longer, or I up the intensity a bit. That seems to keep my body from hitting the plateau.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I'd love to see your progress!

Oh, I recommed the book "Eating Clean". It's not really so much a diet but a change in the way you eat for life. Also Body for LIFE is awesome! Great books with good info and about the same philosophy for life change.
    Good Luck

Allen
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    Definitely track everything. First couple of weeks if nothing changes for you then look at what you've done while you've been tracking and see if there are any small changes you can make that may kick start your weight loss.

Drink plenty of water. But drink it in small sips not big gulps.
    Try to cut down on sodium intake.
    Weigh yourself once a week, maximum twice, your weight naturally fluctuates during different times of days.
    Forget about 1lb gains, or losses come to think of it, aim 'weeks' into the future and don't expect instant amazing results.

I am a human yo-yo as well so I know what you're going through, but with help on here I've managed to trim 50lbs off (though I had a recent slip) and I'm confident I can keep going as well :) Just do the right things and the weight will come off, if it doesn't, make small changes sometimes the smallest thing can kick start you!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Very good suggestions from everyone; I think you'll really get a greater understanding of your issues when you track your calories, and for me I follow a few simple other rules: 1) limited carbohydrates before and after exercising; that way your body won't turn to the carbs to burn for energy, it will turn to your fat. So in my case, I have my "good" (only!) carbs around lunchtime or as morning/afternoon snack, as I walk in the early mornings/ late afternoons. 2) Avoid putting carbs and fat together, that just promotes your body to burn the carbs first and stick the fat exactly where you don't want it to go. So...no peanut butter on wheat bread, no cream cheese on a bagel. Other than that, I count calories, exercise, and make sure my net intake of calories is meeting my 1500-cal-per-day goal.

What helped me immensely is listening to the podcast "Cut the Fat Weightloss". If you have an MP3 player or some other way to listen (computer is fine too), do a google search for it, and listen to their first couple dozen episodes. They give you ideas, helpful hints, biggest weight-loss hints, and in a few of them, they go into GREAT detail about how your body processes carbs, fat, and protein, and how it processes them in different combinations. It's an eye-opener, and really helped me to understand some of the above guidelines I use. Plus, it's inspirational to listen to it while you work out! I can't recommend that podcast enough!
  • chelleymae1105
    chelleymae1105 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your replies! I really think for me, it is about counting cals and tracking what food I'm eating, AND how much of it, daily. The exercise thing, I do switch it up frequently, attend various classes, do different resistant training, etc. So I think it's all about food for me. I actually do have a food scale which I purchased for the MWL program and it is shocking what 5oz. of chicken really looks like! I had no idea that I had been eating probably 7 or more oz. of meat at each dinner meal, geesh. Anyhoo, I really appreciate all your support. I hope this website will keep me accountable and on track and not let me give up....which is what i really feel like doing right now.