who had the longest/hardest?

Options
Ok people I got you to read this now here is the question!
What is the longest and most frustrating plateau you have had while working out and logging calories?
I need encouragement that I can get through this. :sad:

Replies

• mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    3 months !
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I luckily never had one. I think I would have went nuts as well had I had one.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I luckily never had one. I think I would have went nuts as well had I had one.

This...it would be icky...The longest I have gone was 3 weeks but that was my own fault...the first of those 3 weeks was my birthday...:drinker:
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Over 3 months.... just kept at it and changed up my exercise routine. My body was too used to jogging, so I changed it up with in home DVDs and gym time and also upped my calories to mainentance for about a month, then went back down. PLEASE don't give up, just change up the routine a bit!

***also, I was training for a half marathon.... so my ONLY exercise was jogging. Didn't help.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    if your talking about losing weight i'd say get a kitchen scale and measuring cups if you don't already.

accuracy and consistence is the key for weight loss.

taking a week to eat at maintenance can help, if for no other reason than it refreshes you, and may therefore help you stay on task better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    About a month...I thought I was doing everything right but I had gotten a little sloppy in my diet in that I started eyeballing most things again instead of weighing them out and measuring. As soon as I started weighing out pretty much everything agin I started losing agin.

9X of 10, a long plateau is due to getting a little lax in the diet...not weighing and measuring properly...sneaking little bites here and there...having cheat meals, etc.

Also keep in mind that as you lean out your calorie requirements are reduced...so if you haven't adjusted your intake down, your once 500 calorie deficit may now be a 250 calorie deficit...this of course leaves less room for error so even if eyeballing was working before, that closing of the gap is going to require greater precision on your part.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    if your talking about losing weight i'd say get a kitchen scale and measuring cups if you don't already.

taking a week to eat at maintenance can help, if for no other reason than it refreshes you, and may therefore help you stay on task better.
  • parrotlover
    parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! Funny how many responses i got when I put a "dirty" title to it! lol :)
  • Sewilban
    Sewilban Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Absolutely. I got my no-frills kitchen scale at Target for a little less than $5 and it's made a tremendous impact. (Think of using it for things you can't visualize, like two ounces of deli meat, three ounces of steak, or one ounce of cheese -- typical portion sizes.)

Here's the link to the scale I have: http://www.target.com/p/taylor-mechanical-food-scale-white/-/A-13560443#prodSlot=medium_1_4&term=kitchen+scale
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I just broke mine of 4 weeks! :) I was stuck at 173 which was infuriating because I'm still "overweight" by a good 18 lbs, so 4 weeks felt like AN ETERNITY not to lose anything on the scale. It turns out I lost several inches that month, though!

My advice is to read a lot about TDEE & BMR, reevaluate what you are doing for exercise (potentially get a HRM if you do steady state cardio like running), reevaluate if you are really at a calorie deficit or not (use scales and don't guess), and also measure yourself in inches & be patient.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    almost 7 weeks on weight loss, but the inches were dropping so no biggie.

Moral of the story...measure, Measure, MEASURE!

If I would not have measured, I might have had a "what the hell am I doing this for" moment and quit.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    About a month but was all my fault, I got comfy and thought I didn't have to weigh my food I could just eyeball it. Once I went back to doing what had worked for 11 months, wow I was losing again.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Very disappointed.:cry:
  • parrotlover
    parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Very disappointed.:cry:
    lol I'm sorry..we could talk about the other thing now that i got some answers lol