Options
    Be afraid, be very afraid...

Of monsters. Log it.

Monsters are srs bznss.

Log it.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    For the love of all the wonderous things in this world - why?!

There are multiple reasons why you might see a false increase (food/waste in belly, water weight, etc) but there's no such thing as a false loss.

LOG IT!!!!

Dehydration could be classed as a false loss.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean!

I finally bought my own scale a couple weeks ago, and I weigh myself every few hours lol, it's incredible how much I fluctuate from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed, before after eating or going to the bathroom.... I was fluctuating by like 4 pounds the first couple of days.

But I've decided to only record once a week, early in the morning when I first wake up because thats the most 'stable' time of the day.

And so what if you lose a pound/gain a pound, it happens. What matters is on the long term!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily just to see my fluctuations and remind myself not to get discouraged when some number doesn't change in the manner in which I want it to. But I go into that knowing that a slight uptick will NOT derail me. Others know it would derail them, so they go with once a week or once a month. I 'record' it on MFP typically once a week or if I'd been holding steady for a bit and drop midweek, I may record my 'new low' at that point. That's what I did today. It made me feel better to log my loss now instead of waiting for Sunday. :)

My new low point won't get changed up if tomorrow I weigh a pound more. I don't change it up for things like that. My thought is I won't consider it a real gain unless it's consistently at that higher weight for more than 4 weeks. At which point, I feel I can safely declare I gained a pound back and then look at, and address, why that my have happened. Otherwise, it's just normal fluctuations. If I know I'm eating right, logging right, and tracking exercise right, then I know it's just a water weight/retention fluctuation thing. And I ignore it and keep reminding myself I'm doing all the right things, the underlying fat loss will outweigh the water retention in a week or two and I'll see another drop.