25% body fat

Options
So I have 25% body fat and would like to try and reach 18% body fat.. Are there any suggestions on reaching this goal? Specific workouts that may be better than others?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    That goal is obtain through diet with a deficit.

Exercise is something that you can do to either keep from losing muscle/gain muscle along the way or gain endurance and cardiovascular depending on what you choose to partake in.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    First off, I love the quote on your profile. Consider sharing that on your posts with all your friends.

At your current weight of 135 lbs, the average person at 25% is a little over 5'8" tall according to a standard BMI chart.
    An average person weighing 123 lbs that has a height of 5'8" would be roughly at 18.5% BF.
    If you are 5'8" and you lost another 12 lbs, you would be right on your BF% goal.

But we need more info:

What's your:

Height?
    Exercise calories burned daily?
    Calorie intake daily?
    How fast do you need to get to 18.5%BF?
  • ColoradoCountryGal
    Options
    I'm 5'4, an average of 300 calories a day in exercise, 1200 calorie intake, and as soon as healthily possible!! Lol
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    80% diet. Hit the wt room and look at something like Jamie Eason's livefit on bodybuilding.com. Seems to be a fav of alot of women. Has a pretty cool app on there to download on your phone too. Havent done her program but im sure it has your meal planner, supplements etc..most have day 1 thru n videos of what exercises to do in case you are unsure.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    as stated its mostly the diet and eating in a deficit but also adding in some training too.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    1. A good heavy lifting program. Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women.

2. A moderate calorie deficit. NOT 1200 calories a day. Calculate your TDEE, subtract 15-20%.

3. Adequate protein. 100 grams a day is a good starting point, or 0.8 grams to 1 gram for every pound of lean body mass.

4. Patience. Lots of patience. 18% is pretty damn lean. The last fat stores are going to come off very slow and be very stubborn.

I am also about 25% body fat. My goal is somewhere around 20%. I eat about 2000 calories a day.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, an average of 300 calories a day in exercise, 1200 calorie intake, and as soon as healthily possible!! Lol

Removed nonsense
    -Tino

removed visceral reaction to nonsense

OP...
    Set your goal to 1/2 a pound a week.
    Eat within that calorie range. Weigh and measure everything.
    Eat back your exercise calories (or at least half of them)
    Do not overestimate your activity levels (i.e. if you log your exercise, then you can set your activity to sedentary - if you have a job where you're always moving, then increase it)
    Ensure you are meeting your protein goals.
    Drink your water

AND BE PATIENT

You don't have a lot to lose. Take your time and start working towards positive life changes so that when you DO get to goal, you will be able to sustain it.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    looks like the mods have quickly come in to clean up this thread of the BS that was spewed in here.

i agree with people editing and removing the quote of said BS so it can reside where it belongs...nowhere.

mods, you guys were on point with this thread. well done.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    looks like the mods have quickly come in to clean up this thread of the BS that was spewed in here.

i agree with people editing and removing the quote of said BS so it can reside where it belongs...nowhere.

I actually came back to edit as well, but oh well, its gone.

OP you have some good advice. Figure TDEE, create a small deficit from that, lift some weights (I suggest a good heavy lifting program noted above) and patience.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

mods, you guys were on point with this thread. well done.

Hear, hear! :drinker:
  • JennyKCarty
    JennyKCarty Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    *following post* same stats.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Ok, but now I feel left out, what was this nonsense? Can I at least get a hint?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • skullshank
    Options

florentinovillaro up there was suggesting some ridiculous deficits.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options

At your current weight of 135 lbs, the average person at 25% is a little over 5'8" tall according to a standard BMI chart.
    An average person weighing 123 lbs that has a height of 5'8" would be roughly at 18.5% BF.
    If you are 5'8" and you lost another 12 lbs, you would be right on your BF% goal.

People with same height and weight can have very different BF. :huh: :huh: :huh:
    BF is not measured wit height and weight :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    OP- I have cleaned up this thread based on the following Guideline:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.

b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.

d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal

My Fitness Pal is set up to give you a safe reduction in calories, and does not promote eating below this range.

Thank You,

Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator :flowerforyou:
  • skullshank
    Options
    OP- I have cleaned up this thread based on the following Guideline:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.

b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.

d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal

My Fitness Pal is set up to give you a safe reduction in calories, and does not promote eating below this range.

Thank You,

Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator :flowerforyou:

great job! :drinker:

thank you.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Removed nonsense
    -Tino

removed visceral reaction to nonsense

OP...
    Set your goal to 1/2 a pound a week.
    Eat within that calorie range. Weigh and measure everything.
    Eat back your exercise calories (or at least half of them)
    Do not overestimate your activity levels (i.e. if you log your exercise, then you can set your activity to sedentary - if you have a job where you're always moving, then increase it)
    Ensure you are meeting your protein goals.
    Drink your water

AND BE PATIENT

You don't have a lot to lose. Take your time and start working towards positive life changes so that when you DO get to goal, you will be able to sustain it.

Small addition to above: weigh everything as possible within your diet. Be as accurate as possible without going OCD. Best of luck, many good suggestions on this thread.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

florentinovillaro up there was suggesting some ridiculous deficits.

AH HAH! I was right then, even the post that's still here makes me want to go in to BMI lecture mode, but I resisted.

5'8" 135lbs = 24% body fat my muscular butt, I'm 5'8" and 24%BF on me = about 164lbs....
    So I couldn't resist, sue me.:drinker: