How much weight do you think I will lose in 6 months?

Options
2»

Replies

• littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    @OP, I did forget to ask, what sort of exercise are you doing? Are you resistance training? Jogging? Etc.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Of course there's no "magic" number of calories that are a safe level to consume. I'm 5'3.5" 119 lbs and lose 1 lb a week netting 1700 calories. Why in the world would I want to eat 1000 or even 1200 calories? It'd be miserable and unable to perform any of my lifting or runs, I'd tell you that much. I'm not parroting, this is personal experience.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options
    Also, littlebutbig, MFP rules are no promotion of starvation diets, which is exactly what you're suggesting fyi.
  • littlebutlean
    Options
    Of course there's no "magic" number of calories that are a safe level to consume. I'm 5'3.5" 119 lbs and lose 1 lb a week netting 1700 calories. Why in the world would I want to eat 1000 or even 1200 calories? It'd be miserable and unable to perform any of my lifting or runs, I'd tell you that much. I'm not parroting, this is personal experience.

Well great, you're on a training regimen that allows you to eat 1.7k cals a day. I cut on more and my loss is significantly faster, we probably have a similar regimen. That's superb! But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking every single post in this thread jumping all over her for setting her own personal caloric intake at 1k cals. I don't think we even know her age? Or her training regimen at all. Every single person is saying, "Eat more!" "Don't less than 1200!" etc without even knowing anything as if 1200 is a magic number.
  • littlebutlean
    Options
    Also, littlebutbig, MFP rules are no promotion of starvation diets, which is exactly what you're suggesting fyi.

They've identified less than 1200 @ 5'1" is a starvation diet? Or that 1k cals is a starvation diet? I'll go read up on it now.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    As littlebutbig asked, what type of exercise? Are you weightlifting, walking, etc? Will make a difference in your calorie and macro goals.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm surprised by the mentality on MFP, it's fantastic! If you even MENTION less than the "magic" 1200 you're jumped all over. I love it. I love it because it's just parroting, nothing more and I have no idea why but I smile.

She's barely 5 feet tall.

@OP, Yes 1000 calories is fine. If you feel satiated and can handle it mentally, it's perfectly fine. Disregard the parroting mentality of all these people who have "read" on blogs and forums that 1200 is a super duper magic number and anything less than that your body will just eats itself alive and all your muscle mass will shrivel away. It's silly and ill-educated.

I personally was clinically obese @ 235 lbs 5'5" and lost 95 lbs to 141 eating for 10 weeks 500-700 calories, low carb less than 15-20 carbs a day not a single cheat. I lost 41 lbs in 10 weeks. I didn't die. I had no ill effects health-wise whatsoever. I've had *EXTENSIVE* blood work done. After reaching 141 lbs I've slowly lost more fat and slowly put on lean mass. I now sit at 7% year round @ ~150-153. So what happened? Was I just a lucky guy and the magic sub 1200 didn't kill me? My body didn't eat itself?! HOW COULD IT BE SO ! All my muscle mass didn't leave me in a puddle of bones?! I'll tell you why, I was still getting ~150g of protein and resistance training. Did I lose *some* muscle? Yeah, maybe? I dunno but I looked ultra lean @ 141 and I was in a great position to continue resistance training and slowly up my calories to slowly add lean mass.

You have to take everything into account when laying out a diet. She's 5'1" tall @ 146 lbs. It's certainly not terrible but she wants to lose weight. 1k calories is perfectly fine at her height.

The best diet is a diet with the fewest calories while maintaining overall and mental health. A diet that you can mentally stick to doing and feel good about.

P.S. Bring on the hate! I'll add it to my calories for the day. :)

You lost 4 pounds a week for 10 weeks. That is not a healthy or even obtainable goal for most people. It is irresponsible of you to go around recommending it. You could be talking to people who struggle with eating disorders, you could be talking to people for whom it would be very unhealthy. Great, it was fine for you, but it is not fine for most and this advice even goes against the site guidelines "No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques".
  • deksgrl
    Options

Well great, you're on a training regimen that allows you to eat 1.7k cals a day. I cut on more and my loss is significantly faster, we probably have a similar regimen. That's superb! But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking every single post in this thread jumping all over her for setting her own personal caloric intake at 1k cals. I don't think we even know her age? Or her training regimen at all. Every single person is saying, "Eat more!" "Don't less than 1200!" etc without even knowing anything as if 1200 is a magic number.

The magic number comes from the American College of Sports Medicine which is the largest sports medicine and exercise science organization in the world. 1,200 calories for women, 1,800 calories for men, per day, in order to get the NUTRITION you need.

As you may know, (but probably not since you insist that this is safe), women can damage their ability to reproduce by restricting calories and fat. I'm sure the girls who stop having their periods and have their hair start to fall out will really be glad they followed your advice.
  • littlebutlean
    Options
    You lost 4 pounds a week for 10 weeks. That is not a healthy or even obtainable goal for most people.

Firstly, I'm not sure if you missed the part where I said I've done extensive blood work? At no point was I "unhealthy" .. at anytime. From then, until now. Please share further how it's unhealthy or again, was I just lucky? My blood work I have completed quarterly usually:

Metabolic Panel or Chemistry Panel
    ALT
    Albumin
    Alkaline phosphatase
    AST
    Bilirubin
    BUN
    BUN/Creatinine ratio
    Calcium
    Chloride
    Creatinine
    Fasting glucose (blood sugar)
    Phosphorus
    Potassium
    Sodium

Lipid Panel or Lipid Profile
    Total cholesterol
    Triglycerides
    HDL
    LDL
    Total cholesterol/HDL ratio

Complete Blod Count (CBC)
    WBC leukocyte count
    WBC differential count
    RBC erythrocyte count
    Hematocrit
    Hemoglobin
    Mean corpuscular volume (MCV)
    Mean copuscular hemoglobin (MCH)
    Mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration (MCHC)
    Red cell distribution width (RDW or RCDW)
    Platelet count
    Mean Platelet Volume (MPV)

Thyroid
    Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)
    Total T4 (total thyroxine)
    Free T4 (free thyroxine)
    Total T3 (total triiodothyronine)
    Free T3 (free triiodothyronine)

Testosterone
    Progesterone
    Prolactin
    Estradiol
    Uric Acid
    Serum Iron Test (optional)

Blood Pressure
    Heart Rate

Secondly, I am NOT recommending my diet to anyone at anytime. You're either misunderstanding or blatantly making false accusations. I shared my personal experience only. At no time did I suggest she do it. Unless you can copy/paste in a quote please stop lying.
  • littlebutlean
    Options
    As you may know, (but probably not since you insist that this is safe), women can damage their ability to reproduce by restricting calories and fat. I'm sure the girls who stop having their periods and have their hair start to fall out will really be glad they followed your advice.

So at 1k calories per day, 5'1" if she follows a balanced diet her hair will fall out and periods will cease? Is that what you're saying?
  • littlebutlean
    Options

Just read the rules. It doesn't identify sub 1200 as a starvation diet, or is that something you're identifying personally? You can report my post agreeing with her eating 1k calories at 5'1" if you wish and report it as a "starvation diet" simply because you personally disagree. If that would make you feel better then please do! I never at any point laid out ANY diet or regimen for her to follow. I wouldn't do so because we don't have enough information. I don't have her full stats, her training regimen, what sort of foods/diet she is eating, her age, etc. Lots of stuff missing but I still do agree that if she personally chooses @ 5'1" to eat 1000 calories per day, it's perfectly fine in both results for body composition and dare I say health (ooooooh).
  • deksgrl
    Options

So at 1k calories per day, 5'1" if she follows a balanced diet her hair will fall out and periods will cease? Is that what you're saying?

A 130-pound woman has an approximate resting metabolic rate of 1,300 calories per day. Resting Metabolic Rate is an indirect measure of the number of calories your body needs to maintain normal physiological function. This means that RMR will tell you the amount of calories your body would need at rest to keep your heart, lungs, brain and other organs working properly.

Eating 1,000 calories doesn't supply enough. Doing so for a long period of time could affect her hormones and nutrition.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

Just read the rules. It doesn't identify sub 1200 as a starvation diet, or is that something you're identifying personally? You can report my post agreeing with her eating 1k calories at 5'1" if you wish and report it as a "starvation diet" simply because you personally disagree. If that would make you feel better then please do! I never at any point laid out ANY diet or regimen for her to follow. I wouldn't do so because we don't have enough information. I don't have her full stats, her training regimen, what sort of foods/diet she is eating, her age, etc. Lots of stuff missing but I still do agree that if she personally chooses @ 5'1" to eat 1000 calories per day, it's perfectly fine in both results for body composition and dare I say health (ooooooh).

Simply posting about doing it is enough of a suggestion. Especially with the "It worked for me" put in there. Whether you'll admit it or not, you're promoting something that could very well lead someone to a disordered thinking of food. It's not necessarily that you're a "warrior against the parrots of 1200 calories". It's your desire to potentially lead someone to believe that they NEED to eat that little. When YOU don't know if it's a damaging suggestion or not.
  • littlebutlean
    Options
    Simply posting about doing it is enough of a suggestion. Especially with the "It worked for me" put in there. Whether you'll admit it or not, you're promoting something that could very well lead someone to a disordered thinking of food. It's not necessarily that you're a "warrior against the parrots of 1200 calories". It's your desire to potentially lead someone to believe that they NEED to eat that little. When YOU don't know if it's a damaging suggestion or not.

So you're actually identifying that MFP users who personally have eaten less than 1200 calories a day and had success with it are NOT allowed to share their experience, it's against the rules? That sound about right?
  • littlebutlean
    Options
    Eating 1,000 calories doesn't supply enough. Doing so for a long period of time could affect her hormones and nutrition.

Oops @OP, I stand corrected. Don't eat 1000 calories per day @ 5'1" 146 lbs. Your hormones could be affected which will cease your periods and your hair will fall out.

Whew! Dodged a bullet on that one.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I wish everyone would stop trying to tell short people that it's okay or necessary to eat so little!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH! :explode:

Seriously?!?!

I'm 4'11, started out at 168, and am down to 135 so far(started in about July), and have NEVER, unless sick, eaten under 1200. Why? Because I like food, and when you work out, you NEED food. Being a short woman means you need less food than a six foot tall guy, NOT that you need to eat ridiculously low amounts of food. Right now I eat 1650 a day.

OP Eat more, your workouts will get better, your body will look and feel better, and you will still be able to lose weight. You should only be aiming for like 1 pound loss/week right now. Slow and steady is the best way to go about weight loss in a healthy way. You are not morbidly obese or even close to it so you don't need to be dropping huge numbers.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    OP, follow MFP guidelines and tweak until it works for you. Don't try to lose too much too fast.

Bottom line is, every person is different and most people on this site think they're health and fitness experts.

Take suggestions and read the comments, but know that these are opinions and/or it is biased information based on what worked for these people as individuals. People can and will state what worked for them, which is great.... but you need to find what works for you. You know yourself best!
  • amandaaune14
    amandaaune14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to look supermodel thin (which is just as unhealthy as being a little overweight) or do you want to look toned?

I don't like this. There's nothing wrong with super models... Most supermodels are toned. Just because they are thin does not equate unhealthy. If done correctly, lowering BF% can result in that look without starving yourself. I agree that eating at sustainable levels is mandatory to obtain this but I just don't agree with shaming people who are thin.

Actually, according to Phycology Today on February 5, 2012, the average BMI of a supermodel is "17.1 and almost half have BMI's below 17." As you may know this is underweight which can lead to fertility and immune system issues, anemia, osteoporosis, and weakness. This is not shaming people. It is the truth. A lower body fat % can be better for your health but in women anything less than 10% is considered unhealthy and can lead to a cessation of menses. Again, this isn't shaming. People need an understanding of what healthy looks like because most people don't know what that is.
  • amandaaune14
    amandaaune14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!