How many calories should I be eatting a day?

Options
So I have not been good about logging my foods but I am working out 6 days a week 3 days a week it is for two hours the other 3 days only for an hour. p90x doubles I thought 1200 calories would be perfect but after reading on here I am starting to wonder? I have a lettace tomato sprouts cheese sandwhich and a one once bag of chips every day for lunch. What ever I make my family for dinner with a glass of milk. I am intermediate fasting as well so only water the rest of the day other than those eight hours a day. Can anyone explain eating back workout calories to me? I am 5'9 and 187.2 pounds sorry for the dumb questions I am new and trying to learn!!! Thank you all in advance :smile:

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, 1200 calories is way too low for someone 5'9 & working out that frequently. Without using any kind of calculator, I would think you should eat at least 1700 a day.

Here is an online calculator to estimate how many calories you burn each day. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • baptistforlife
    Options
    well I say 1200 but is between 1200 and 1500 you really think 1700? I know it sounds stupid but I am scared to eat two much and be working out for no reason!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you're letting MFP choose your calorie goal then the site expects you to log your exercise and will add extra calories as you earn them. P90X is an intense workout and I agree that 1200 seems too low to me. Is P90X one of the programs that comes with a nutrition guide? What does it suggest you eat?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    well I say 1200 but is between 1200 and 1500 you really think 1700? I know it sounds stupid but I am scared to eat two much and be working out for no reason!

I was just guessing. Use the calculator I posted above. For 2lb a week loss, subtract 1000 calories from your TDEE, 1lb a week, subtract 500. That's about how much you should consume.
  • baptistforlife
    Options
    I got p90x from a friend who was not using it so I do not have the guides or anything just the dvd's
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    depends on what you are eating in those calories. I have been on 1200 calories for over a year and have been consistently losing but i also eat a majority of protein with my 1200 calories. I also work out 5-6 days a week including sports...
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Use the calculator suggested. www.iifym.com

I'm 5'8" and heavier than you and I am currently in the 1900's for caloric intake. I am active 6 days a week with a sedentary job. I would think 1700 is still less than the calculator suggests for your height and weight. There is a sweet spot between eating too much and too little that you need to aim for, its not just all about eating less and less calories to lose fat. There is muscle (lean body mass) to support too.
  • baptistforlife
    Options
    I have a "slight" addiction to carbs so for me alot of potatoes bread etc. My husband calls himself a meat a holic so I always have meat or protein with dinner. Other than that I am a mom of two with a hubby so I just make wholesome dinners and always eat my sandwhich and chips during the day.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Are you experiencing headaches, muscle weakness, shakiness, and irritability? I would be!!! Ouch, 1200 calories is way low. MFP will help you with your settings. You log what you eat, and your exercise, and eat back about 1/2 of the calories mfp calculates. I don't know if you are sedentary or lightly active during the day, so I can't make suggestions on how to set your settings, but I do believe you are eating too few calories and you are setting yourself up for binging or failure or both! Feel free to private message me with more details and i will help you if you need it.