Eating out

Options
Eating out at an Italian restaurant with friends tomorrow night. Is it a bad idea to save all the 1200 calories for one meal?

Replies

• MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I would personally feel terrible if I did that. I'd be really lightheaded by dinner if I haven't eaten.
    Why not just order within your calories? Or you know treat yourself. One bad meal won't make you fat; just like one salad won't make you thin.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    1200 calories doesn't sound like very much food at all - restaurant or no. Regardless of that caveat you would be better served cutting 50 or 100 calories a day to "bank" up to 700 calories that you can use to enjoy yourself. It's not something that resets daily. But please do consider revisiting your target calories.

Oh! I almost forgot! I would be completely remiss if I did not add "giggity."
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    How voyeurish!
  • EllaBelleAces
    Options
    Exercise to make room for the extra calories, if you are concerned about your macros, well.. like the Posted above said, one meal isn't going to break you.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around 2K and have gone out for two big meals in the past week or so, The Melting Pot and Chima (a Brazillian steakhouse) and so what I did was ate light in the morning and saved the rest of my calories for the dinner.

Nothing wrong with that. I'd suggest you eat more than 1200 though. That's pretty low unless you're really tiny.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You certainly can save it all for one meal, but 1200 calories doesn't sound like that great of an itatlian meal. Are you skipping the appetizer, the salad, the bread, and the dessert? Lame.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter for most people without specific medical issues related to blood sugar.

1200 calories means you're eating back exercise calories, right?

One day over won't ruin anything unless you use it as the justification to give up.

Giggity.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. Eating italians out
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. Eating italians out

:laugh:
  • PrincessCris
    Options
    The title of this post is completely misleading and now I'm disappointed.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    fruit_zps0ad12a09.jpg
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i think it's genius. Then you can really enjoy your meal out! Great Idea! I support it 100%. Buon Appetit!
  • freedom403
    freedom403 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter for most people without specific medical issues related to blood sugar.

1200 calories means you're eating back exercise calories, right?

One day over won't ruin anything unless you use it as the justification to give up.

Giggity.
  • freedom403
    freedom403 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Giggity. Not sure what you are saying. Is it that 1200 calories is not enough? That's what the program gave me so that is what I am eating. Thanks
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    1200 is the minimum that MFP gives people. Most people start out there and move up a little higher.

Check out other calculators to figure out your BMR and TDEE. You are also supposed to eat some of your exercise/earned calories.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Eating out at an Italian restaurant with friends tomorrow night. Is it a bad idea to save all the 1200 calories for one meal?

I personally wouldn't recommend going all day without eating just so you can save calories for dinner. But that's just me because I can't do that due to my insulin resistance and hypoglycemia. I'd suggest making tomorrow a cheat day. Eat a light breakfast and lunch and enjoy your dinner at the restaurant!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    If you're use to going without, you'll be fine. It's such a stupid, relatively modern idea that you MUST eat all damn day long. You don't have to. Plenty of intermittent fasters, Muslims during Ramadan, or just people who just prefer to wait until evening eat like this.

If you want to save up your calories for a large meal in the evening, do, and enjoy yourself.
  • Kiwi94544
    Options
    I think it's up to you... Personally though, if I'm going out to dinner (which is maybe once a week), I really want to enjoy my meal... Meaning, I don't necessarily wanna order THE fattiest/cheesiest/deep-fried thing on the menu... But I wanna ENJOY what I eat, and feel like I'm choosing my food according to what I feel I will enjoy eating.... NOT just because it falls within 400-600 calories... Because I eat according to "calories" all the rest of the week - when it's time to go out, I wanna have a bit more "freedom" & enjoy myself!

ANYWAY - personally, I have trouble going all day without eating.... On the day I know I'm going to have a bit of a splurge for dinner, I eat light (400-500 calories max) and exercise for a solid hour that day, just to kind of give myself some 'space' calorie-wise. Then I don't feel bad if I have a 1,000 calorie meal or whatever for dinner!

One thing though - and this is just an idea - don't 'drink' your calories.
    No matter what I splurge on food-wise, I drink water or sometimes diet soda with it.... Those calories in drinks go down WAY too easily and I feel like it's not "worth" it to have those. Just me though.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Here's what I'd do. I'd eat a light "mostly produce" breakfast and lunch, and exercise extra. Then I'd go out and eat whatever I want for dinner at the restaurant, including tiramisu, log it, take the calorie hit, and move on tomorrow.
  • TyphonRex
    TyphonRex Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around 2K and have gone out for two big meals in the past week or so, The Melting Pot and Chima (a Brazillian steakhouse) and so what I did was ate light in the morning and saved the rest of my calories for the dinner.

Nothing wrong with that. I'd suggest you eat more than 1200 though. That's pretty low unless you're really tiny.

I agree on both counts. Have a small bite for breakfast, then enjoy your dinner. That said, it's really, really easy to blow past 1200 kCals in a hurry at an Italian restaurant (and not to mention that 1200 a day seems really really low anyway).