Fruits. Y or N?!

Options
For the last few pounds, and losing inches etc, is fruit a yes or a no? I've heard that fruit is only good for maintaining weight, not losing and especially not during this phase. True or false? I'm so confused !

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Fruit is a yes, if it meets your calories and macros. Like everything else you aren't allergic to.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    fruits are great snacks. healthy. and i love my apricots. perfect snack.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    All foods including fruit are good and healthy for both losing and maintaining weight, its how they affect your total calories that count
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Fruit doesn't keep you from losing weight, too many calories do. Fruit is delicious candy of the health food world, eat it.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    :huh: You can eat any food you want and lose weight/inches, as long as you come within your calorie allotment.
  • margueta562
    margueta562 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    After the birth of my twins my nutritionist told me to stop all fruit since It spikes your blood sugar and gives you cravings. He also mentioned your body will burn it off first before you stored fat and that your body doesn't really differentiate it between something like a cupcake.Sugar is sugar..
  • jwdieter
    Options
    After the birth of my twins my nutritionist told me to stop all fruit since It spikes your blood sugar and gives you cravings. He also mentioned your body will burn it off first before you stored fat and that your body doesn't really differentiate it between something like a cupcake.Sugar is sugar..

So you haven't been eating any fruit? That's kinda sad.
  • rk_19
    rk_19 Posts: 92
    Options
    Thnks everyone :D
  • rk_19
    rk_19 Posts: 92
    Options

Wait, so there's no difference between eating a cupcake or eating an apple? :/
  • jwdieter
    Options

Wait, so there's no difference between eating a cupcake or eating an apple? :/

Look up a cupcake in the db. Look up an apple in the db. That's the difference between a cupcake and an apple.
  • toddabrown
    Options
    I just can't imagine fruit being bad for health, what is more natural than fruit (besides anti pest and hormone treatments)? I am new to MFP, but seems like balancing a spirited exercise routine and using this tool to keep myself honest with regulating what I eat and drink is working so far. Anyway, I vote Y for fruit.
  • sleddy54
    sleddy54 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I say no, not while reducing. Fine once you have met your goal. This does not apply to everyone though. If you carry a lot of weight around the middle, have metabolic syndrome, impaired glucose or insulin resistance, better to avoid, as the fructose in fruit is still just a sugar to your body, will cause insulin to be released, and that will end up keeping your blood insulin levels up, telling your body to hoard the weight, and not burn fat.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Been eating fruit all along - reached goal weight, still losing fat and inches. I love me some fresh fruit!
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I must admit this is a first for me, I spend a lot of time reading threads in the forum and there is much good information to be gained here.

Admittedly there are also the endless arguments about what individuals believe is 'good' and what is 'bad' especially the sugar arguments

But in 6 months this is the first time I have ever heard that fruit is'bad'

IMHO a sad day indeed
  • toddabrown
    Options
    I say no, not while reducing. Fine once you have met your goal. This does not apply to everyone though. If you carry a lot of weight around the middle, have metabolic syndrome, impaired glucose or insulin resistance, better to avoid, as the fructose in fruit is still just a sugar to your body, will cause insulin to be released, and that will end up keeping your blood insulin levels up, telling your body to hoard the weight, and not burn fat.

Interesting post. I guess if there is empirical scientific evidence that the body does not differentiate between fructose, or sugar, then nothing sweet to the human taste bud should be consumed when trying to lose pounds may be a valid point. I do think that health is about balance and moderation. I am not in the healthcare industry, so I do respect those who share knowledge about how different bodies process energy differently. I personally want something sweet in my diet, so fruit is how I will get that fix for now. It has to be a better alternative than chocolate chip cookies.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    that's why he's a nutritionist and not a registered dietician
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories... I eat klondikes every night and I love weight.. and two pieces of fruit... so take a guess.
  • salendire
    Options
    Wow, just wow. Fruit has sugar, of course, but it also has a lot of fibre, vitamins and minerals. I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure no one ever got fat from eating fresh fruit... :laugh:

Fruit is a definite yes, it makes a wonderful snack and fruit should be eaten every day. I eat fresh dates or mangos when I have a sweet craving. Two dates and a cup of tea have saved me from a chocolate or ice-cream binge many a time.
  • patrickoldenjr2016
    Options
    Oh yes! Halo's are my life saver. Instead of running to a poptart or dounut I am finding the fruits can generally help with my sweet tooth!
  • Speckle38
    Speckle38 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    that's why he's a nutritionist and not a registered dietician
    I agree. I had gestational diabetes during one of my pregnancies and was never told by the dietician to avoid fruit. I was given information about fruits that have fast and slow release sugars, same as other carbs and their GI ratings, so I ate strawberries, citrus fruits, apples, mangoes, stone fruits and not more than 1 banana daily, and avoided things like watermelon, rockmelon, pineapple and dried fruits.