Shakes for weight loss

Options
Hello MFP friends! Any recipes or websites for some good weight loss shakes (preferably using the blender bottle) would be appreciated!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    You don't need shakes for weight loss. That just takes a calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kelerin
    kelerin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat a 1200-1300 calorie diet, and burn 300-600 daily. I wanted a protein shake to help aid weight loss.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes do not aid in weight loss, they are just used for increasing your protein intake.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes aren't going to aid weight loss any more than any other food.....a calorie deficit is the key to weight loss. I make smoothies for a snack for myself several times a week, and toss in protein powder, but don't see it as a weight loss aid.

Are you thinking of having them as a meal replacement? I've used a smoothie in a pinch, but much prefer a regular meal - and regular meals are more sustainable in the long run anyway. Replacing meals with shakes gets old fast in my book, no matter how many different combinations of fruit I put in there! :tongue:

For recipes, hit google, or check out Pinterest - heaps of smoothie recipes there you could try.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I eat a 1200-1300 calorie diet, and burn 300-600 daily. I wanted a protein shake to help aid weight loss.

With very little weight you have to lose, you should be eating more than that... but as other shakes, protein shakes are just like supplement. They supplement where your nutrition is lacking. So if you lack enough protein, then you will want a protein shake. Pick on you like the taste of.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It looks like you have about ten pounds to lose: what you need most is patience.
  • chinkodemyo
    Options
    Every morning I start my day with this:

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    2 cups kale (pre-frozen)
    1 medium banana or 1 peach or 1 pear
    1 tbsp white chia seeds
    1 tbsp slivered almonds

Blend till smooth. About 375 cals.

It's yummy, hi-fibre, and keeps me full for 3-4 hours.

:)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ditch the shakes, eat real food, stay in calorie deficit = win
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I think you might want to focus on eating more if you are only netting 700 cals a day ...
  • Amiwil
    Amiwil Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP friends! Any recipes or websites for some good weight loss shakes (preferably using the blender bottle) would be appreciated!

I like pure protein in vanilla. It's about 130 cals and doesn't give me that powdery taste as much as other options. You can find them at costco. Good luck!
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I alternate between Arbonne Chocolate and Vanilla Protein powder. I mix with water.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I think you might want to focus on eating more if you are only netting 700 cals a day ...

This.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    my dad is 87 years old and lives with me. I make a shake for him every morning, says it's refreshing.
    It has blueberries, cranberries from the bag, raw, protein powder, fiber powder, coconut oil, vit.C powder, orange juice, 1/2 banana,whatever leftover fruit available, & powdered flaxseed. I prepare around 25 baggies of the ingredients except the OJ and freeze them so all i have to do is throw the frozen contents into the blender with OJ. Bam! He drinks it for all it's goodies bc he doesn't have much of an appetitie and he is skinny. At least he gets some protein, fat, fruit and antioxidants.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes do not aid in weight loss, they are just used for increasing your protein intake.
    This.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition