Replies

• ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com for videos, exercises and resources as well
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Yeah heavy lifting can look a bit overwhelming at first if you've never done it before, especially squats and deadlifts. Try to educate yourself on correct form, start off light, and if possible grab a trainer from the gym or a random and have them confirm your form is okay.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

I found that website REALLY weird...
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If you are brand new to lifting, it would probably benefit you to take a few personal training sessions to learn the correct way to, lift, breathe, and stretch.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I learned way more reading Starting Strength than in any of my personal training sessions. OP, a lot of trainers really suck. Try the book first. I wish I had saved my money.

I agree with this. Not all trainers are made equal, niner - the chap I saw said, 'don't worry about hitting parallel, quarter squats are fine' and, 'here, put your heels on this block' :/

I literally could not squat till I read starting strength.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    as someone who's numerous times been told by trainers that i shouldnt lift heavy because it would make me bulky I'd definitely agree with not just going with any trainer.

not to mention the number of trainers i've had to show proper deadlift form because they thought it was something else. unfortunately not all trainers are as good as you'd hope they were.
  • suemin68
    suemin68 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Talk to your gym staff. Many times they are looking for something to do. Also the new rules for lifting book is really good I understand. Key elements to remember is to not train the same muscles everyday. I usually train on a 2-3 day offset. Legs and core one day, back and biceps the next (sometimes with core - core is a different type of muscle so more frequent training on that is ok). Third day is chest, shoulders and triceps filled by a repeat or a day or two off then repeat. Depends on my work and gym schedule. I also mix in some cardio whenever I go. Seems to work for me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If you are brand new to lifting, it would probably benefit you to take a few personal training sessions to learn the correct way to, lift, breathe, and stretch.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I learned way more reading Starting Strength than in any of my personal training sessions. OP, a lot of trainers really suck. Try the book first. I wish I had saved my money.

This. I'm also too poor to afford a personal trainer. Thanks student loans!

I would go combo of starting strength and youtube videos to check form …

once you have form down build a program where you are lifting with compound movements three days a week ..

For the record -niner gives great advice and is not a BS trainer...
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    If you're still in college you could always stop by the athletics department and talk to the powerlifting coach, if they have one. That's what I did... ten million years ago. :D
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options

I found that website REALLY weird...

Lol. You do have to dig a little and a lot of fitness/professional body builders use it. I like it for searching for different exercises, videos and articles. They have some good ones on the abdominal muscles, etc. You can search for exercises for each muscle group and filter it buy which equipment you have.
    I also ignore any information regarding supplements, protein and whatnot that they sell. I know nothing about them and I don't care to weed out the good information from the bad. And I don't need them I go there just for exercises and videos.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I've done everything from books and YouTube. A couple of times I've asked the trainers at the gym to check, but it's very hard to know who is credible enough to do it right, and my mother in law has walked with a stick for ten years after a gym accident, she had an operation to sort out her spine but it nicked a nerve. She was older and overweight though. So I have a mistrust of generic personal trainers, though I know there are some incredible ones out there, you just have to find a way of checking them out and they tend to be very expensive because they're in demand.

I'm happy to see that Starting Strength info is available as the book is so expensive!
    Gyms are expensive in the uk but you can't put a price on health. I've made amazing changes and lost 10% body fat with lifting, I think I've also lost 20 years, I can't stop looking at my *kitten* coz it's so perky and round, and I'm finally finally happy with my body.

My fear of eating has gone too, it's just fuelling the hotness!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Sorry for your loss. Some trainers do suck, but a good one will be of more help than hinderance.

IDEA Fitness member