Replies

• Avarindria
    Avarindria Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! :smile:
  • kosmosEP
    kosmosEP Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bump! it all looks yummy, thanks people.
  • Tabitha_Faye
    Options
    Bump!
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think the frigid weather is the reason why we all want to make soup this weekend! I'm making homemade chicken soup tomorrow. Here is what I do:

Roast a 7-9 lb. roasting chicken, seasoned with olive oil, Thyme, Rosemary, Onion and Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper. Eat half with your family and then take what remains - skin, bones, remaining meat and any juices from the roasting pan and put in a large stock pot. Cover with water and add 1-2 bay leaves, 10 peppercorns. Bring to a boil and then turn low enough to just simmer for two hours covered loosely (not tightly). DO NOT SEASON WITH SALT YET!

Remove carcass from broth and strain remaining liquid into another stock pot. Set chicken aside to cool and then pick all the meat off the bones, tearing into bite size chunks. Don't make it too small as it continues to shred in the broth. It always amazes me how much chicken I get off the carcass. Set meat aside.

If you have the time, cool and refrigerate the broth and then skim hardened fat off the top. If you are in a rush, you can still skim fat off the warm broth with a large spoon. A little fat will add more flavor so leave a small amount in the broth.

Next, chop 3 large stalks of celery and 1 large sweet onion and add to the broth. Peel 4 large carrots and cut into rounds and add to broth. Add additional Thyme, Rosemary and dried Dill. Simmer until the vegetables are almost tender, about 15 minutes. Add 1 cup of rice or ditalini pasta to the broth. Simmer for however long it takes to cook the rice or pasta (I prefer rice because pasta can get soggy when reheated). Finally, add the shredded chicken and heat through. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. If you added too much water to the soup, you can always add a chicken bouillon cube.

I love getting two or more meals out of a chicken! Roasting the chicken first creates a richer broth and better soup than using a raw chicken boiled in a pot.

This makes at least 6 generous bowls of soup if not more. Enjoy!
  • puruhutika
    puruhutika Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    that is a delicious soup. Great recipe, will try it soon.
  • VictoriaDarleneGale
    Options
    Bump
  • kelaw1
    kelaw1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gingermim
    gingermim Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love making and eating homemade soup...my chicken is in the crockpot now...I put it in there overnight for my homemade broth and then use it in a variety of soups. Looking forward to trying some of these recipes, will try to submit one tomorrow. Thanks.
  • PinkKareBear
    Options
    bump
  • Workinonit123
    Workinonit123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DawnMarie1970
    DawnMarie1970 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I'm looking forward to making soup
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I love making and eating homemade soup...my chicken is in the crockpot now...I put it in there overnight for my homemade broth and then use it in a variety of soups. Looking forward to trying some of these recipes, will try to submit one tomorrow. Thanks.

What a great idea!! I love using my crockpot, esp now that I'm working out in the evening, saves me a lot of time and if everyone else is starving they can go ahead and eat.
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Check out site For the Love of Cooking.com She has the best soup I just made her Greek Style Minestrone with Turkey and Feta Meatballs Soup my family loved it.Her Slow Simmered White Bean and Ham Soup is great also Enjoy!
  • Bree1255
    Bree1255 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump! Love this!
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Curried Carrot Soup..
    This is an awesome low cal soup. I add extra curry powder, cumin and minced garlic.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    2 pounds carrots, chopped
    4 cups vegetable broth
    2 cups water, or as needed

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion until tender and translucent. Stir in the curry powder. Add the chopped carrots, and stir until the carrots are coated. Pour in the vegetable broth, and simmer until the carrots are soft, about 20 minutes.

Transfer the carrots and broth to a blender, and puree until smooth. Pour back into the pot, and thin with water to your preferred consistency.
  • faybayer
    faybayer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I love soupe au pistou.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/07/soupe-au-pistou-french-vegetable-soup-recipe/

The cheat's version of this recipe is just to boil up some frozen vegetables and a can of beans with a stock cube. But it is important to add homemade pistou or pesto. My favourite pesto recipe is Marcella Hazan's:

http://www.culinate.com/user/Verdura+Caroline/recipes/verdura_recipes/marcella_hazans_pesto
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I make this almost weekly:

1 cup dry lentils, rinsed
    1 onion, chopped
    2 celery stalks, sliced
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    Any left over veggies you have in the fridge chopped up small
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds, or 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    8 cups water or vegetable broth
    1/2 cup dry quinoa
    1 cup crushed tomatoes
    1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    Directions

1Combine lentils, onion, celery, garlic, cumin, and water or broth in a large pot. Bring to a simmer, then cover loosely and cook until lentils are tender, about 50 minutes.
    2Stir in quinoa, tomatoes, curry powder, and black pepper. Continue cooking until couscous is tender, about 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.

Optional: Add shredded spinach or kale at the end