Wii fit...

Options
Since it's so cold snowy and icy, I can't go for runs and can't get to the gym so I have to resort to wii fit plus. Does anyone know what the most effective exercise workout things on there are? Thanks times a million :)

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Just try them out - they actually have METS listed someplace if you want to be particularly effective. I know that the obstacle course really gets me sweating and the bird target one (where you flap your "wings") is good for your shoulders.

Also check out some of the more conventional exercises in the strength training section. And if you are new to yoga, some of those exercises are great for developing balance and core muscles.
  • HealthyBrandi
    HealthyBrandi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've tried wii fit and have had pretty good strength training/yoga, but didn't feel like I had the best cardio work compared to running. I'm not sure how much better wii fit plus is. I have been playing Just Dance on the wii, and I get a lot more sweat from those games.
  • Skinny7cat
    Options
    Sadly my experience with wii fit was comical!!!! I stand on it and find out im very obese, then i kicked off my cat. So tried to do yoga and it then tells me i am uncoordinated.....sigh i gave up that device nothing like being told your old, fat and off balance lol

However, my best friend loves it and has lost weight with the running game.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Wii fit is a video game...

Personally I have a hard time justifying it as "exercise"

You can run outside in the cold/snow...

1) There are levels of cold and ice where it is not safe to run. Therefore, this is better than sitting at home watching TV
    2) You can burn quite a few calories on this thing, and there are other games which will kick your *kitten*.
    3) Quite a few of the things we do as "exercise" were originally "games."

OP, for a truly surreal experience, you should play the snowball fight in your nice warm living room :)
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

1) There are levels of cold and ice where it is not safe to run. Therefore, this is better than sitting at home watching TV
    2) You can burn quite a few calories on this thing, and there are other games which will kick your *kitten*.

OP, for a truly surreal experience, you should play the snowball fight in your nice warm living room :)

lol1.gif.pagespeed.ce.pUoudpjHdL.gif
  • SerenitiC
    SerenitiC Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I'm hoping that laugh is for the surreal experience too.

I couldn't work out in the snow/ice. I'm the queen of clumsy and in no way shape or form am used to snow(southern girl through and through!) And safety should definitely be your top priority OP :drinker:
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    The free run, you can run in place, when I do that I actually run in a circle making my main floor my "track", I also really like the tai chi and anything that uses the nun chucks and the calisthenics and yoga are pretty good too. The cycling is a little weird when you are cycling in place, not my favorite. My husband laughs at me when I use the nun chuck (he is very skilled with the real thing).
  • perseverance14
    Options

[/quote]

I'm hoping that laugh is for the surreal experience too.

I couldn't work out in the snow/ice. I'm the queen of clumsy and in no way shape or form am used to snow(southern girl through and through!) And safety should definitely be your top priority OP :drinker:
    [/quote]I have the Winter Olympics too, maybe I should be playing that, but already used the stationery bike.
  • perseverance14
    Options

That is NOT true, I burn plenty of calories with it, although I only use it if I am too tired for the stationery bike or treadmill. Have you ever done the free run? I actually run (not in place, really run) when I do it, my main floor goes in a circle. I would say it takes more work to get the same benefit out of say, Island cycling, where you are pretending to cycle in place (which is not the easiest thing to do) as opposed to the same time on my stationery bike. Still, you can burn some calories and you should not call it a video game. I DARE you to try that balance thing and the rest of the body check and see how old it says YOU are!