How to Lose the Skinny Fat Look

I'm a small framed 5'5 115 lb. 21 year old female with a tiny bit of lower belly fat that I am hoping to lose. My goal is to have a flat stomach.

Do I need to lose weight to achieve this? How should I go about it and how soon can I expect to see visible results?

Thank you so much for the advice!! :)

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    At that height and weight, you may be mistaking "fat" for "internal organs." You are near the low end for a healthy weight and it is unlikely that losing weight will make you feel better about your body.

To change the look, you need to build muscles, especially the core muscles. Have you tried pilates? Strength training?
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    resistance training is the only real cure for skinny-fat. I'm a huge fan of body weight exercises. If you want to cure the skinny-fat, look into "you are your own gym" or "convict conditioning". seriously.
  • ametolie
    ametolie Posts: 13 Member
    I agree with concordancia. That's all toning. You'll want to do pilates type exercises and core strengthening systems.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Lift heavy weights. Deadlifts in particular.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Try 30 Day Shred. Don't expect to lose weight, but do expect to firm up - especially your core.
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 256 Member
    At that height and weight, you may be mistaking "fat" for "internal organs." You are near the low end for a healthy weight and it is unlikely that losing weight will make you feel better about your body.

To change the look, you need to build muscles, especially the core muscles. Have you tried pilates? Strength training?

It's quite possible to have excess belly fat at that height and weight. I did at 5'5" and 105 lbs. Not surprisingly, my belly is still my issue. Some of us are unfortunate to have that body shape.

But I agree with the strength training. Strengthen the core and build some muscle.
    Good luck OP.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Lift heavy weights. Deadlifts in particular.

This - eat at maintenance and lift heavy. You'll recomp and lose fat / gain a little muscle.
  • Yes, it is my unfortunate body shape. :( But I thank all of you for your advice!!
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 256 Member
    Yes, it is my unfortunate body shape. :( But I thank all of you for your advice!!

Sorry, I should not have used the word unfortunate. I have come to love my body, imperfections and all! I just work with what I was given and make the best of it. Strength training really does work - in many ways - to make you look and feel better.

:)
  • Lift heavy weights. Deadlifts in particular.

This - eat at maintenance and lift heavy. You'll recomp and lose fat / gain a little muscle.

I really like this plan! I have not tried lifting heavy before! Thank you!
  • erbear117
    erbear117 Posts: 62 Member
    agreed, i am near the same height/weight and unfortunately any bit of excess fat goes straight to my belly (and occassionally under arms) - the rest of me looks great! my mom carries any weight on her belly too, it's just our genetics. as a dancer i would really like to flatten my stomach to look better in performances. i'm in the same boat! from what i've researched online, it seems like the only way to achieve this is to do general cardio workout. i have plenty of core strength and i can see my abs but there is still that little round layer... let's do this!
  • Yes, it is my unfortunate body shape. :( But I thank all of you for your advice!!

Sorry, I should not have used the word unfortunate. I have come to love my body, imperfections and all! I just work with what I was given and make the best of it. Strength training really does work - in many ways - to make you look and feel better.

:)

Thank you! :)
  • agreed, i am near the same height/weight and unfortunately any bit of excess fat goes straight to my belly (and occassionally under arms) - the rest of me looks great! my mom carries any weight on her belly too, it's just our genetics. as a dancer i would really like to flatten my stomach to look better in performances. i'm in the same boat! from what i've researched online, it seems like the only way to achieve this is to do general cardio workout. i have plenty of core strength and i can see my abs but there is still that little round layer... let's do this!

Best of luck to you! I will incorporate general cardio workouts too. Hope it works for us!