Elliptical Question

Options
Hi, Ive just started working out at my local gym, and I have been using the elliptical machine.
Ive noticed that about 15 mins into my time on the machine, my toes go numb.
Can anyone tell me why? Also, what can I do to avoid this from happening? Thanks for any and all responses.

Replies

• Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    sorry im no help...my knees dont let me get past the 6 min mark! i hate that thing lol
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! This happened to me for the first few weeks that I started at the gym too!!! It doesn't happen any more though, however I'm curious to see if anyone knows why this would happen. :smile:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the numb feet club. There was a post about two weeks ago with the same question. I think we all decided that is could be stride length. My podistrist says it's in the foot flexibility, that basically the tendons and nerves, get tight and I get numbness. I own an elliptical, and it's been happening for years. You can try to do it more on your toes, or keep your feet behind you more. I do exercises like trying to pick up a tennis ball with my feet and wear toe separators.
  • lesleybritton
    Options
    This happened to me as well. SHOES!

I would suggest hitting a good shoe store and having them measure you. New Balance is great for this and can really fit you in a sneaker that's best for you. I found out that my feet are 2 different sizes and widths!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It happens to me only on certain elliptical machines. If you gym has a variety, look for one where the footpad stays somewhat flat throughout the motion. I have trouble on the ones where your toes point downward as your leg moves back. I love the Cybex! Reebok was the worst, and the Pro-Form are kind of hit & miss depending on the model.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    This happens to me on certain machines too! Ugh! So annoying!
  • ariellespiller
    Options
    I sympathize! Don't know why this happens, but make sure you stretch your calves before AND after you use the elliptical. It makes it less noticeable for me!
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    This happens to me as well. Not just on the elliptical, but on the treadmill, and even when I'm running outside. I have NO clue what it is...but I've just gotten used to it. Is that bad?! :wink:
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I get this routinely (on the elliptical, the bike, the treadmill etc - mine doesn't discriminate) and I've tried many things like new shoes etc. There are many theories such as stride, footwear fit, fett issues etc (and I do have arch issues as one of my issues) but the long and the short of it is this: Ellipticals were designed so that they would give you a great LOW IMPACT workout. Unlike the Treadmill, you don't have to move your fett or knees so people with joint injuries are able to use them more effectively than other machines. Because of this lack of movement our feet go the sleep. It's no different than if we were kneeling for a long time or crossing our legs. We're simply not circulating the blood as efficiently as we should be so it's extremely common to feel numbness.

Here's a few things you can do while you're on the elliptical to try and minimize the numbness:

* try wiggling your toes
    * re-position your feet on the foot plates
    * shift your weight onto the balls of your feet or your heels, or rock back and forth between both
    * try not to keep too much of your weight on the balls of your feet
    * loosen your shoe laces or getting better shoes with arch support
    * change directions by going backward on an elliptical
    * use an elliptical with pivoting (articulating) foot pedals

I've found that by focusing a little more of my feet while I'm working out REALLY helps this.
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    Get fitted for shoes now! I'm flat footed, and I have to buy good shoes or else my ankles hurt/feet go numb, etc. Also, try pushing down with your heels instead of your toes when you're on the elliptical. It gets your butt muscles and helps with circulation.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    This happens to me too. The good thing is you're not dying.
  • red_five
    Options
    This happens to me, now that I'm running up to 5 miles a day my feet only start going numb during the last 10 minutes or so. It helps me to not tie my shoes so tight. You don't really need your shoes tied tight when you're on the ellipitcal anyways because you're feet are planted. Make sure you have good work out shoes. I went through 3 different pairs before finding one that worked better for me. Your feet swell when you work out, it's completely normal. You just need to make sure you give your feet enough room in your shoes to expand comfortably and it won't bother you as much.

I hope this helps! When someone told me this it helped me a lot.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    For me it is my entire right foot starts to hurt... If I can push through it the pain goes away after a couple of minutes.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    You might want to check to see if your stride is close enough to the way you naturally walk. If it's too short it can hurt your knees and not give you enough circulation in your legs.
  • scweegie
    Options
    be careful to keep your toes from rubbing up on the top of the foot holder thing.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This USED to happen to me ALL the time. Here's what I think changed it for me: in addition to the numb toes I used to have all kinds of other foot problems--plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis, pain in my arches from pronating. I could hardly walk, and anytime I tried something like an elliptical I went numb.

A year ago I bought a pair of skechers shape-ups for the fun of it. I don't know what it is, but they have fixed almost all my problems! (I still need to wear orthotics for my pronation). As I think about how they feel when I move, I think they transfer the impact from my toes and heels to the middle of my foot. No more heel pain, and no more numb toes. Can't promise they'll work for anyone else, and they ARE expensive. However, there are now some less expensive rocker bottomed shoes put out by Danskin and Dr. Scholl's--you can actually get them at Walmart for under $30. They aren't as cushy as the Skechers, but they seem to work as well for me.
  • summerstar78
    Options
    Thanks for the landslide of replies! Im glad to know Im not the only one who experiences this problem.
    I guess Ill have to invest in a good pair of shoes, the ones I have are not great quality. I also fail to strech before I workout, so Im sure that contributes to the numbness.
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    I bought an elliptical about 4 years ago and the first few weeks my feet would go numb and tingle. Someone told me to loosen my shoe laces which I did and have had no problem since then. Crazy huh?
  • alvchicky1290
    Options
    OMG ! This happens to me all the time a few years ago it never happend at all but now since I've gained weight it happens a lot and my toes only start going numb at a certain point and it effects me while I work out and annoys the crap out of me
  • teamaven
    Options
    Checking your posture on the elliptical might help. When I first started using it my toes weren't numb but they hurt by the end of my work out. I started making sure my back was straight, no leaning on the bars, no swaying, keeping my feet flat on the pedals and more importantly for my toes, making sure to push down through my heels/entire sole rather than letting my toes do all the work. Plus, leaning back just a tad and pushing on your heels I think works your quads? Or so I hope! :)